Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended warranty

C

CaliforniaCylus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
I seem to remember at collection something about extending the warranty from 3 to 5 years.

I'll call the garage tomorrow but wondering if any folks have recently collected and taken out this option and can a) Remember the price and b) know if it's available 2 weeks post collection

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Yes, you have 90 days and can buy it from your local dealer even if you bought the van from somewhere else. It was £399 plus vat.

I seem to remember at collection something about extending the warranty from 3 to 5 years.

I'll call the garage tomorrow but wondering if any folks have recently collected and taken out this option and can a) Remember the price and b) know if it's available 2 weeks post collection

Yes it’s a no-brainer to extend 2 years I’d say

Brilliant. I will sort that out. Thanks everyone

I've just had the 1st service at 2years. I was offered an extended warranty then but I'd already taken out the extended warranty on purchase. So it is possible to take it out further down the line

I've just had the 1st service at 2years. I was offered an extended warranty then but I'd already taken out the extended warranty on purchase. So it is possible to take it out further down the line
Is that the factory extended warranty though or an insurance based one?

Th extended warranty only comes into force after the initial 3 year warranty is up.
5 years is the maximum in total for the warranty period.

Hi
Are the above warranties still valid - my local VW garage has just offered me the following which seems rather steep!On a new California Ocean. TIA.

The warranty we offer is
1 year add on £598.40
2 years add on £963.60
3 years add on £1,260.60
These all include European breakdown cover as well as the warranty.

Believe you have 90 days from registration to buy it

View attachment 112956
Hi
Are the above warranties still valid - my local VW garage has just offered me the following which seems rather steep!On a new California Ocean. TIA.

The warranty we offer is
1 year add on £598.40
2 years add on £963.60
3 years add on £1,260.60

Hi

The warranty we offer is
1 year add on £598.40
2 years add on £963.60
3 years add on £1,260.60
Those are the rates to buy a warranty on a van more than 90 days after registration. The correct figures for extending on a new van are given a few posts earlier.
I don’t know why anyone would buy a further warranty at your rates when the all-in scheme costs similar but covers servicing and MOT costs in addition to the warranty.

Those are the rates to buy a warranty on a van more than 90 days after registration. The correct figures for extending on a new van are given a few posts earlier.
I don’t know why anyone would buy a further warranty at your rates when the all-in scheme costs similar but covers servicing and MOT costs in addition to the warranty.
Yes I agree. If after 90 days, just get the All-in for year 4 if you want it. You can get All-in any time up until the Cali is 6 years old and it’s paid for two years at a time. I believe it also comes with breakdown cover.

Thanks - the local garage was only offering 'their own' warranties. I asked about the extended VW ones and they gave me the same ones as above - you mentioned new van warranties are different? I had a look on-line and further back in posts but couldn't see anything - could you point me in right direction please? TIA.

Thanks - the local garage was only offering 'their own' warranties. I asked about the extended VW ones and they gave me the same ones as above - you mentioned new van warranties are different? I had a look on-line and further back in posts but couldn't see anything - could you point me in right direction please? TIA.
The second post in this chat shows it - extending the factory warranty from 3 years to 5 years for £399 but must be done within 90 days of the vans first registration.

The second post in this chat shows it - extending the factory warranty from 3 years to 5 years for £399 but must be done within 90 days of the vans first registration.
The All-In is about £800 for two years (after year 3) and ‘should’ give you the same warranty as the Extended one. It also covers the annual service and MOT.

However, if I had the option to get the official extended warranty within 90 days, that’s what I would do.

The All-In is about £800 for two years (after year 3) and ‘should’ give you the same warranty as the Extended one. It also covers the annual service and MOT.

However, if I had the option to get the official extended warranty within 90 days, that’s what I would do.
Factory warranty extension from 3 to 5 years covers everything including camping equipment etc.

“All in “ does not cover everything, but is better than other warranties.

Always opt for the factory extended 5 year warranty on a new van.
second best ATM is All in but it’s not a patch on the Factory warranty like for like

Factory warranty extension from 3 to 5 years covers everything including camping equipment etc.

“All in “ does not cover everything, but is better than other warranties.

Always opt for the factory extended 5 year warranty on a new van.
second best ATM is All in but it’s not a patch on the Factory warranty like for like

Could you show us an example of something that one covers that the other doesn't?

Corrosion to wheels
roof seal corrosion
roof corrosion

there’s a few for starters

Corrosion to wheels
roof seal corrosion
roof corrosion

there’s a few for starters
This is where I get confused. If you have a VW van, the roof is protected by a 12 year warranty against corrosion, but if you have a California, the roof is only guaranteed for 3 years against corrosion.

Is that correct?

This is where I get confused. If you have a VW van, the roof is protected by a 12 year warranty against corrosion, but if you have a California, the roof is only guaranteed for 3 years against corrosion.

Is that correct?
12 year corrosion warranty is against perforation. (Rusting through)

highly unlikely to happen on a modern vehicle.

roof corrosion is cosmetic and not covered under the 12 year “perforation “ warranty,
plenty on the forum to keep you busy reading

Help. I recently enquired about the 'All-in' 2 year warranty that is £888 for 2 years. I took out an extended 5 year warranty when I bought the vehicle new in Jan 2019, so it expires mid-jan 2024. I really am only interested in this if it covers internal components like the electric-hydraulic roof, the diesel heater, folding bed mechanism, fridge etc. Trying to find out if it does is next to impossible. The dealer gave me an 8 page information guide that lists a number of items not covered but this does not detail these items unique to a California (seems to be generic for VW commercial vehicles)!! Since the dealer could not advise me I rang VW extended warranty. They administer the policies only, they don't write them, so they told me to ring VW financial services. They didn't know and told me to ring VW extended warranty - AGHHH!! The dealer advised me to take the all-in policy and if there was a problem with these California items I asked about they would be able to get advice if it was covered or not!! I know what is happening here - you pay the £888 and then if you have a claim they will tell you its covered or its not covered, so someone, somewhere knows, they just want your money then no doubt they will tell you, 'sorry that part is not covered'. This vagueness seems to be a deliberate strategy to get your money and then be told what is will and will not cover in a California. Anyone else had this experience or got any guidance? Thanks

Help. I recently enquired about the 'All-in' 2 year warranty that is £888 for 2 years. I took out an extended 5 year warranty when I bought the vehicle new in Jan 2019, so it expires mid-jan 2024. I really am only interested in this if it covers internal components like the electric-hydraulic roof, the diesel heater, folding bed mechanism, fridge etc. Trying to find out if it does is next to impossible. The dealer gave me an 8 page information guide that lists a number of items not covered but this does not detail these items unique to a California (seems to be generic for VW commercial vehicles)!! Since the dealer could not advise me I rang VW extended warranty. They administer the policies only, they don't write them, so they told me to ring VW financial services. They didn't know and told me to ring VW extended warranty - AGHHH!! The dealer advised me to take the all-in policy and if there was a problem with these California items I asked about they would be able to get advice if it was covered or not!! I know what is happening here - you pay the £888 and then if you have a claim they will tell you its covered or its not covered, so someone, somewhere knows, they just want your money then no doubt they will tell you, 'sorry that part is not covered'. This vagueness seems to be a deliberate strategy to get your money and then be told what is will and will not cover in a California. Anyone else had this experience or got any guidance? Thanks
TBH I just downloaded and read the policy. Rather than detail everything that is covered, it details everything that is not. The wording is very specific about what is not covered with the following covering both Transporter and Cali items:

"All bodywork, paintwork, body components (Including encased aerials, gas struts, sunroof
assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames), glass (including heated), seals (including but not
limited to water ingress), wardrobes, cupboards and curtain rails".

I'm not aware a Transporter has wardrobes. So Ocean is covered.

There is then another list of what is NOT covered.

Legally then everything else not on those two lists IS covered for failure (not "fair wear and tear".

So fridge yes. Bed. No (seat frames...).

In the end, it's the only warranty they offer, so you can take it and "mostly" be covered, or don't and not be covered at all.

TBH I just downloaded and read the policy. Rather than detail everything that is covered, it details everything that is not. The wording is very specific about what is not covered with the following covering both Transporter and Cali items:

"All bodywork, paintwork, body components (Including encased aerials, gas struts, sunroof
assemblies, soft top roofs, and seat frames), glass (including heated), seals (including but not
limited to water ingress), wardrobes, cupboards and curtain rails".

I'm not aware a Transporter has wardrobes. So Ocean is covered.

There is then another list of what is NOT covered.

Legally then everything else not on those two lists IS covered for failure (not "fair wear and tear".

So fridge yes. Bed. No (seat frames...).

In the end, it's the only warranty they offer, so you can take it and "mostly" be covered, or don't and not be covered at all.
What is this second list NOT covered? You referring to the warranty exclusions?

What is this second list NOT covered? You referring to the warranty exclusions?
Have a look here (click on Terms and Conditions for the wording). Page six has the cover details. I suspect further items may be excluded under the Confirmation of Cover you receive when signing the contract. I read DSPUK message as meaning the second list is the Wear and perishable items.

Back