Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Failing Electrics - windows / lights

R

rthomas17

I've just returned from a 6 weeks 3500miles trip round Europe - experienced a problem with the passenger door electrics failing intermittently. Problem seems to come and go so just stopped using the passenger window to ensure I didn't get caught out with the window open. However, on the final leg of the trip today, the drivers side window and electric door mirror stopped working, and then I noticed the cruise control had stopped, followed by no indicators and no lights. I got home, switched off and back on again, and the lights etc were OK, but obviously I'm into a more serious area now if the lights are going to intermittently fail. So my question is - does anyone know if there is a circuit board that control these particular pieces of electrical equipment, or any other ideas about what could be happening? Thankfully I'm back home now, so pressures off a little to get it fixed, but it needs resolving and I can just imagine the fun and expense I'll have if I ask a main dealer to investigate.

Re: Failing vElectrics - windows / lights

I have heard of people having intermittent problems and the cause was bad connections under the drivers seat. Worth a try

We had problems with the window switch on the passenger side of our last T5 motorhome which sometimes failed to work.Like you we stopped using the window until it was due for it's service. Testing at the VW garage, during it's service, showed no problems. This particular vehicle lived outside so we assumed that condensation got into the works ?? We live near the sea and the salt air/humidity causes slight rusting to electrical items, so maybe it was a poor connection that cleared up as the weather improved. We went back to using the window after it'd been checked out and didn't have further problems.
VW diagnostics checks should show where the problem is. Could be as simple as a fuse failing.

There are well documented issues with the T5 base van where the electrical connections under the floor on the passenger side (i think - do a google) get corroded quickly and creates issues like this. I had it on my reasonbly new T5 - lights failed, all got a bit French there for a while in the electrics department. Best one was walking away and you could hear the sneaky bugger unlock himself ! Pulled the carpet and found the dodgly connector, 10 minutes to cut and reconnect then shrink wrap solved it. It could be something worse though !

I did give the under seat connectors a check, but I'll try it again. I stored the warning triangle and high-viz vests under the drivers seat whilst I was in Europe as they need to be accessable from the inside of the van, so that might have been giving me problems. Problem with this sort of thing is that it only goes wrong when you're on the road - and works perfectly when you're in a position to investigate it!