Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How fast should the sink drain?

O

Odysseus

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The sink in my 40,000 mile T.1 seems to drain quite slowly. It’s possible to fill it from the tap quicker than it drains through the sink plug into the tank and out under the camper van, with the valve open of course.

It’s not terrible, it does drain, just not as fast as I can fill it.

This is fine if everyone else has the same experience, but if not any ideas of how to resolve?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sink in my 40,000 mile T.1 seems to drain quite slowly. It’s possible to fill it from the tap quicker than it drains through the sink plug into the tank and out under the camper van, with the valve open of course.

It’s not terrible, it does drain, just not as fast as I can fill it.

This is fine if everyone else has the same experience, but if not any ideas of how to resolve?

Thanks in advance.

Slow draining is normal. Quite a few posts on the topic if you want to search.

Slow draining is normal. Quite a few posts on the topic if you want to search.

You’re absolutely right, apologies for the unnecessary post.

This teaches me the search function in Tapatalk isn’t very effective…

Just check under the sink that the drain pipe isn't kinked etc.

I’m always careful what I put down the sink just in case it blocks the trap or worse the drain tap. I think the trap is quite restrictive so does make the flow slow but reduces the chance of smells from the waste tank.

I normally run the tap while draining the waste to give it a good flush with clean water.
Thats how I discovered the sink drain wasn't assembled correctly as I had water in the the cutlery !
A quick reassemble and fixed.

@Odysseus: Don't know from which year your Cali is, but from about 2014/15 a better model syphon was built in.

I had the same problem with our model 2009. Bought the new syphon (7E7 068 167), cut the draining pipe in about half, and the sink was draining with a vortex and a nice gurgling noise.

sifon_nieuw_2013_ 7E7 068 167.jpg

Sifon2_klein.jpg

I had to cut a small piece of plastic out of the back end of the drawer though, as the new syphon is bigger.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I also cut a section out of our 2008 Cali sink pipe which makes it drain a lot quicker. It is quite easy to do. But as ArunAlec says, the possible downside is that this removes the U bend effect and can mean you smell the contents of the waste tank.
We never put any food down the sink so it's not a problem for us. It's mainly used for the kids brushing their teeth.

See our 2014 thread:

Mines a 2010 T5.1, so it predates the ‘fix’.

It’s good to know mine is normal and a cure is easy and cheap. Thanks very much for all the expertise.

Back