Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fan heater recommendations

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We're spending Christmas with family, but with us using the Cali as an extra bedroom next to the house. We'll be hooked up and just wondered if anyone could recommend an easily available fan heater that would also be ok for hook up on campsites? I have tried a search, but didn't find any particular model recommendations.

Cheers

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Fan heater recommendations

Whats wrong with your inbuilt heater?

The clicking gets on my nerves - and could annoy neighbours on a quiet site. I appreciate that a fan heater will make a noise. Also, if we're paying for hook up we'd like to get our money's worth [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

I use one of these, for the reasons you suggest. A good balance of price, size, quality and output.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004R9OTNO/?tag=eliteelect-21

You do get some clicking when the thermostat switches off and on, but I think they all do that. I've tried different sizes of oil filled radiators and they are OK when it is mildish but I suspect they wouldn't be enough with your roof popped.

Thanks for the ideas chaps. Being tight, I'll go for the cheapest! Also we have a bnq in Kendal.

I'll second the small Oil radiator idea with no vents there is nothing to be accidentally covered up and its great for drying gloves on. We have one for using on hook up and though not an instant heat it does keep the whole van cosy.

I understand the safety arguments (although most fan heaters have cut-out topple switches now) and am always careful with mine. My gripe with the oil filled rads is that they are (1) terribly slow to start to make an impact on an already cold van and (2) don't project their heat any distance, so if you are sat on it you may be warm but a metre away freezing.

Maybe I just feel the cold worse than most........

+1 for the oil radiator, if the cali heater is annoying then a fan heater blowing all night is surely worse and more dangerous.

larrylamb said:
+1 for the oil radiator, if the cali heater is annoying then a fan heater blowing all night is surely worse and more dangerous.

Night time is a different scenario when camping. It's the evenings I have a problem with, particularly from a cold start.

I have a selection of oil filled rads in my shed that testify to my experience, along with a slim panel convector heater (the ceramic fan heater is in the van).... And that is in a high top van than can have hard frost on the outside whilst it is 20 C inside. However, each to their own.

I'm only thinking to use the heater whilst we're up and awake. We sleep upstairs and have done so with snow outside and without a topper, and been toasty warm with our winter weight duvet. We are hardy Northerners though [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES](well at least I am)

Though we have just got a topper - having said we're warm enough, I do get a cold nose when it's v cold. I did get a nose warmer off Amazon (hilarious), it kept my nose warm - but breathing became a bit of an issue ...

Fair point, thought we were talking overnight heating.

Thanks in particular to John Towers - ten quid well spent. Yes it makes a bit of noise but it's quite bearable and we were plenty warm enough [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Might be a winter winner from Aldi from tomorrow. Remote control of the temp being the breakthrough. I've not checked the size so do your research.
IMG_20191023_165126.jpg

Back