Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for new winter electric heater?

Not used anything else , have it for a while now , we leave it on overnight when on hook-up on 750w and when sleeping upstaires you won’t hear it running .

400watts mode is pretty essential with some hookups limited to 2-3 amps. So + to Ecomat.
Never used any extra insulation in the tent, though we camped in winter pretty much.
Still, like a diesel heater more (with a special tube directing heat to the tent) and in some cases cheaper to run it instead of paying a very high cost of electricity.
Diesel heater simply pumps more air flow, making a decent circulating and making a floor warmer when downside, less cold spots or drafts.

400watts mode is pretty essential with some hookups limited to 2-3 amps. So + to Ecomat.
Never used any extra insulation in the tent, though we camped in winter pretty much.
Still, like a diesel heater more (with a special tube directing heat to the tent) and in some cases cheaper to run it instead of paying a very high cost of electricity.
Diesel heater simply pumps more air flow, making a decent circulating and making a floor warmer when downside, less cold spots or drafts.
What’s the special tube directing heating please?

Never ever seen a hookup supply as low as 2-3 amps, which sites are we talking about?

I reported this on another thread but I got a small heater with a digital thermostat AND A REMOTE CONTROL for £20 from Aldi recently. The fan stays on when temperature is achieved but heating stops until triggered by the thermostat. I find this a much better arrangement (for relaxing / sleeping) than the fan constantly switching on and off.

The remote is great if sleeping upstairs, (or even downstairs) as it allows temperature adjustments as well as on/off.

It has the usual 'knock over / failsafe' arrangement.

Some feedback on Ecomat2000.
After one being replaced due to a faulty thermostat, we got a 2nd dying in the middle of the winter cold.
Will get inside this crap and fix it, wanted to mod the cooler anyway because the airflow is laughable.
It was an expensive swiss made experiment. Meanwhile can't recommend it. Will post an update with alternatives or even better a DIY solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree on the Kampa Cube. Brilliant heater that cranks out loads of heat straight away. We put ours on the kitchen glass top facing towards the front to heat the pop top and it can get the top super toasty (Too hot in some ways). The thermostat takes some playing around with to get set just right for at night though but have marked the dial with a marker pen for our preferred temperature settings. The case stays cool to touch (just the front grill gets hot) The only thing i wish is that the fan speed was able to be reduced on the lower heat setting, but it's pretty quiet for a fan heater.

I always used oil filled rads, but the little ones just didnt seem to make any difference to the poptop. This does make a difference as it really moves the air too. I use mine in the house occasionally.

i like the fact it stops if you knock if over and does kick out a lot of heat. I agree on the fan speed, it seems the same regardless of heat setting. Do have to be careful not to touch the metal grill when hot but the rest of it is cool to the touch.

There is a "Diddy" version which is even smaller, not used one so no idea if they are as good.

I bought one of these recently.
It's called Eurom Fanheater 600. It's a 600W fan heater. I am going to use it only on hookup (obviously) and just to get the chill out of the chillier evenings. The diesel heater is kind of... intrusive when you get out.

IMG_20200130_190738.jpg
Don't know what it will give, but I'll let you know.
Only drawback I have encountered is the quite noisy fan.

You could use your diesel heater but place a duct on the outlet and run upstairs.
Sorry I’m away at the moment can’t post pictures .
I use this method with three dogs downstairs and me toasty and warm up stairs .
There is a post on here of someone making up the system.

We use this one, old style but the most silent...https://adax.no/en/products/basic-fan-heater-vv9t

We have a 1-2 kw thermostatic fan heater which we take away with us on our hols in Sept/Oct. We found that the mornings in France can be very cold. 1 rugged up a bungee on the handle of the fan and it can be clipped onto the 2 little brackets screwed to the roof, I think they are supposed to be for the child safety net. It only works for us because we sleep Head to the back of the van. The fan is also quite good when it’s hot and does keep you cool to some extent...We did find that on most campsites with the heater on full and the kettle on the power trips..

You could use your diesel heater but place a duct on the outlet and run upstairs.
Sorry I’m away at the moment can’t post pictures .
I use this method with three dogs downstairs and me toasty and warm up stairs .
There is a post on here of someone making up the system.