Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for new winter electric heater?

you are right, boat was meant

Sometimes it isn't easy in a foreign language

Did I mentioned that it has a "silent mode" for your sleep. Old guys like me are not able to hear at night.

CU

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I heard about some radiators that are like oil-filled ones, but aren't filled with oil (honestly). They won't leak and heat up more quickly. I haven't been able to find one small enough, though, so if anyone discovers a source, let me know.

Now then. Having tried lots of different heaters over 10 years, this is my latest strategy, and it is working well so far!
socket.JPG
I bought this because:
(i) I became frustrated with the poor operation of the thermostats on all the fan heaters I've tried (about 5). I was getting too hot before they turned off, and too cold before they come back on.
And
(ii) As I sleep upstairs, it's a long trek downstairs to switch any heater on if I'm looking for a quick blast before starting breakfast.
If it's not obvious, the item on your right goes in your socket (check you have space...you may need to make a tiny extension lead, and to take you from 2 pin to 3 pin). It then links remotely with the controller on the left. This becomes the on/off switch for the socket, which I take upstairs with me.
The controller is also a thermostat, which operates with a 1 degree tolerance of the chosen temperature. ie it switches your socket on (and hence your fan heater on) as soon as the temperature drops 1 degree below the set temperature. (On at 19, off at 20 as shown). By switching it to Fahrenheit, it operates to within 1 degree F.
The added advantage is that you can place the thermostat at head-level, which seems better than relying on the heaters own 'stat at floor level.

The set cost me £20 delivered. At the time of writing, available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201222139628
Build quality is 'functional', but operation seems really good. It checks the temp every 30 seconds (and flashes a bright green LED which I've painted out as it lit-up the whole van!).
As Spring advances (!), I switch to a small panel heater (silent), which also works with the device, as will those oil filled radiators - although I've never got the van hot enough to need one of those turning off......

Got that ecomat-2000 in the end. Really like it how silent and powerful it is.
It doesn't turn off the fan with a thermostat when the temperature is reached so no changing noises just a constant flow.
Can still use it on weak connections drawing just 450watt on lowest. Didn't see a decent heater on the market with that lowest amp draw.

Where did you get it from? I've failed to get a reply from the company despite three emails. Still not sure that these are so much better than usual fan heaters and still casting around for the perfect solution!

Reactions: wyn
Got that ecomat-2000 in the end. Really like it how silent and powerful it is.
It doesn't turn off the fan with a thermostat when the temperature is reached so no changing noises just a constant flow.
Can still use it on weak connections drawing just 450watt on lowest. Didn't see a decent heater on the market with that lowest amp draw.

Yep , indeed worth every penny ....
Very small to pack away , very silent , low Watt as some campsites has got only 6amp to give , can stay on the whole night and the heater itself does get hot ....think very safe ( also with the trip-switch on the bottom)
Used it again just last week in France when on campsites , very cosy in the Cali!
Have got it two years now , like it a lot .
Do clean the filter on the back once a while!

@bilberry , the website
http://www.ecomat2000.com/nl/index.html
Don't know the way to order in the UK , i got mine from CCN offcoarse:D

Where did you get it from? I've failed to get a reply from the company despite three emails. Still not sure that these are so much better than usual fan heaters and still casting around for the perfect solution!
Got it locally in CZ at a pretty decent price (cheaper than directly from Swiss) from a company selling tons of campers specialized stuff.

Got it locally in CZ at a pretty decent price (cheaper than directly from Swiss) from a company selling tons of campers specialized stuff.
Hi. Can I have the name of this company. Ďakujem.

Odoslané z môjho iPad cez Tapatalk Pro

Having just come back from Lynton where I had a lovely few nights near Woody Bay Station, I'm reading this thread to see what other people do about heating their Cali. It got quite cold over the weekend and I ended up leaving the van heater on at level 1 all night. It was very windy and I didn't put the topper on this time in case I had to lower the roof in a hurry.

I've just spoken to a caravan and motorhome dealer who recommended a halogen heater, 800 or 1200.
I'm off to Snowdonia again on Saturday for a week. The forecast up there is -8C towards the end of the week.

What do other all year round campers do when they use a hook up? If the electric is already paid for, I might as well use it.

@SimonB , think there are some suggestions in this post above so are you looking for other than those?

Well, I ended up getting the Ecomat fan heater. It's a LOT of money, but we used it in earnest this week, camping sub-zero near Avebury stone circle (which is breathtaking, by the way). It's sooo quiet, heats quickly and is very small and neat. In fact, I've just reviewed it in more detail for http://campfiremag.co.uk/camping-kit-review/. Unlike a halogen heater, you can leave it on safely when you're not in the van. We put it on the frost setting downstairs overnight.

For those staying with hook up this is a tricky one. I bought the dimplex 2000 watt heater and found it too hot even on the 1000w setting and did not want to leave it on when we went out and over night. We now have a 500w oil filled radiator which is silent stays on all the time and is safe. I set the van thermostat to three as a back up when we are there and it occasionally cuts in. The oil filled radiator seems just right for overnight.

Well, I ended up getting the Ecomat fan heater. It's a LOT of money, but we used it in earnest this week, camping sub-zero near Avebury stone circle (which is breathtaking, by the way). It's sooo quiet, heats quickly and is very small and neat. In fact, I've just reviewed it in more detail for http://campfiremag.co.uk/camping-kit-review/. Unlike a halogen heater, you can leave it on safely when you're not in the van. We put it on the frost setting downstairs overnight.

Thanks for this. I've now read the review and that sounds an excellent piece of kit and ideal for my needs. Are there any GB shops who sell it that you know of?
The halogen heaters put out an orange glow and probably too large for the floor space if the lower bed is made up.

For those staying with hook up this is a tricky one. I bought the dimplex 2000 watt heater and found it too hot even on the 1000w setting and did not want to leave it on when we went out and over night. We now have a 500w oil filled radiator which is silent stays on all the time and is safe. I set the van thermostat to three as a back up when we are there and it occasionally cuts in. The oil filled radiator seems just right for overnight.

This also sounds quite suitable. Is there enough heat from it to percolate upstairs as well keeping downstairs warm on the really chilly evenings. I've stayed in the Cali last winter when it was -4C and didn't feel too cold, but last weekend it felt colder.

I made a mess of that reply, and now can't do it properly. This is how it should be.

Thanks for your fast reply @hotel california . The early part of the thread goes back a few years and I was hoping that things had improved a bit since then.

A basic fan heater is efficient, but a bit noisy and as it has heater elements in it I'd want to make sure that it was away from flammable objects. I like the sound of the Ecomat heater that you & @bilberry recommend.
Is yours the basic model?[/USER][/QUOTE]

There are safe, good looking, compact fan heaters for £20ish but they are noisy. Whilst they run it is a type of white noise, but their cycling on and off wakes me. If you are a deeper sleeper, you may be ok with the £20 type.
I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004R9OTNO/?tag=eliteelect-21 but it lacks a cutout if it gets knocked over. I saw a similar model with a cutout for £20 in Wilko's.

I have a 500w oil filled we use in our vans. From my experience in cold snowy weather it will take the edge off but certainly not make it toasty in colder weather. Combined with a diesel heater though should decrease the amount of diesel needed.

I think I'd consider a 1000w oil filled radiator if I had to buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 500w oil filled we use in our vans. From my experience in cold snowy weather it will take the edge off but certainly not make it toasty in colder weather. Combined with a diesel heater though should decrease the amount of diesel needed.

I think I'd consider a 1000w oil filled radiator if I had to buy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found this the best solution too Matt.

Now then. Having tried lots of different heaters over 10 years, this is my latest strategy, and it is working well so far!
View attachment 13610
I bought this because:
(i) I became frustrated with the poor operation of the thermostats on all the fan heaters I've tried (about 5). I was getting too hot before they turned off, and too cold before they come back on.
And
(ii) As I sleep upstairs, it's a long trek downstairs to switch any heater on if I'm looking for a quick blast before starting breakfast.
If it's not obvious, the item on your right goes in your socket (check you have space...you may need to make a tiny extension lead, and to take you from 2 pin to 3 pin). It then links remotely with the controller on the left. This becomes the on/off switch for the socket, which I take upstairs with me.
The controller is also a thermostat, which operates with a 1 degree tolerance of the chosen temperature. ie it switches your socket on (and hence your fan heater on) as soon as the temperature drops 1 degree below the set temperature. (On at 19, off at 20 as shown). By switching it to Fahrenheit, it operates to within 1 degree F.
The added advantage is that you can place the thermostat at head-level, which seems better than relying on the heaters own 'stat at floor level.

The set cost me £20 delivered. At the time of writing, available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201222139628
Build quality is 'functional', but operation seems really good. It checks the temp every 30 seconds (and flashes a bright green LED which I've painted out as it lit-up the whole van!).
As Spring advances (!), I switch to a small panel heater (silent), which also works with the device, as will those oil filled radiators - although I've never got the van hot enough to need one of those turning off......

As we always stay on sites with electric hook up the first heater I bought (Which Magazine recommended for being quiet) was a Dimplex 2kw fan heater. As we all know the thermostats are useless particularly in a small space and we were either snap frozen or broiled. I then tried a 500w oil radiator which is not beefy enough and too heavy. On your advice I bought a remote thermostatic plug from Amazon and reinstated the fan heater. On 1kw setting using the thermostatic plug it heats the magic bus perfectly. Set to 12 degrees before climbing up into the top bed I take it with me and can adjust the temperature before getting up or in the night if it gets cold or too hot. Many thanks.

As we always stay on sites with electric hook up the first heater I bought (Which Magazine recommended for being quiet) was a Dimplex 2kw fan heater. As we all know the thermostats are useless particularly in a small space and we were either snap frozen or broiled. I then tried a 500w oil radiator which is not beefy enough and too heavy. On your advice I bought a remote thermostatic plug from Amazon and reinstated the fan heater. On 1kw setting using the thermostatic plug it heats the magic bus perfectly. Set to 12 degrees before climbing up into the top bed I take it with me and can adjust the temperature before getting up or in the night if it gets cold or too hot. Many thanks.
Excellent news! My first 'plug' failed after a while but they sent me a new one even though it was over 12 months old.
I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only one who had that exact set of problems.