Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Farewell to Cali 6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The roof rot has been an ongoing issue and the main bug bearer with the California
Overall, the older vans were simpler and more robust.

Why do Volkswagen insist on adding more tech, when I guess the majority would prefer less.
As said, it’s early days for the 6.1 but doesn’t look very encouraging at the moment, especially as most aren’t even being used...

I will be keeping my eyes open and hoping for better, as going forward I may one day want to update to something newer.
My old Mum had trouble getting the manual roof on her T5 down in the end, so only an electric roof works for her.
New tech is normally progress in my eyes, but then I’ve always been a gadget man. I remember my the acceleration of my dads Saab Turbo, and my uncles Austin Maestro talking to him in the 1980’s. None of it essential, but great experiences, which is a major part of owning a vehicle.
The tech needs to be reliable though, and I see there have been problems with some electric roofs, but they are fixed, and there are many more flawless experiences.

I used to have an MG Maestro.
What a car...:D
Read yesterday, there’s only 27 registered on UK roads. Cars have come along way since.

As said, it’s early days for the 6.1 but doesn’t look very encouraging at the moment, especially as most aren’t even being used...

Are you reading a different set of posts to me- look to be minimal amount of problems with T6.1 Half the reports even on this thread are with T6s

Are you reading a different set of posts to me- look to be minimal amount of problems with T6.1 Half the reports even on this thread are with T6s
I don’t think you would call an electric roof that failed consistently resulting in my 6.1 being handed back as minimal. It was soul destroying and stressful.

Thats one - albeit one too many, but not hoards of failures.

I will keep my fingers crossed...

It seems a lot of issues reported with the T6.1 are electrical so a Coast with some well chosen extras would be the way to go for me and hope I'm lucky with the control panel.

It seems a lot of issues reported with the T6.1 are electrical so a Coast with some well chosen extras would be the way to go for me and hope I'm lucky with the control panel.

I look after fire systems at work.
I’ve got some
Old stuff on site. It’s not pretty, but my God is it robust. Nothing fails.
The modern high tech panels are a complete PITA.
Dont get me wrong. They have some great tech, but it’s rarely reliable...

My point exactly, most negative posts on this thread are from non T6.1 owners! Why?
I get it that there has been the odd serious issue, but I don’t get the negativity from people without first hand knowledge.

My point exactly, most negative posts on this thread are from non T6.1 owners! Why?
I get it that there has been the odd serious issue, but I don’t get the negativity from people without first hand knowledge.
I don't think they are listening, is it because they wish they had a t6.1 or is it that they cant afford a t6.1 ,or are they trying to convince them selves that they don't need a t6.1, I bet they has been the same amount of issues with every california model from day1.From what I read no major issues really lets be honest the roof system people talk about isn't complicated and touch screen is as reliable as a control button other than that its a commercial van.

I had one once.

I worked for BL and if you were lucky you only got promoted to a certain level and only had one company car. They promoted me to the next level and I had a Metro join my Maestro. . Two oil stains on the drive and a leaking windscreen which meant driving in wellies was recommended :shocked
My first car was an Austin Allegro aka All-agro. It was stolen and I felt sorry for the thief.....

I had one once.

I worked for BL and if you were lucky you only got promoted to a certain level and only had one company car. They promoted me to the next level and I had a Metro join my Maestro. . Two oil stains on the drive and a leaking windscreen which meant driving in wellies was recommended :shocked
I took my driving test in a Mini Metro. Perfect car actually for that purpose. Easy to drive and control, great visibility. Not too bad for what it was.

My first car was an Austin Allegro aka All-agro. It was stolen and I felt sorry for the thief.....

I had one of those, another company car.

It was jinxed. I had a wheel taken off by a bit of metal flying off the back of a scrap lorry and hitting the road just in front of it. Then my Brother in law took it for a ride across a field having first made a neat hole in a wooden fence. The bonnet lock failed going over the M6 Thelwall viaduct ...

but then my Financial assistant borrowed it to go to Bristol on business .... a Glaswegian with a broad billy Connelly-type delivery. I revceived a phone call: "Hey Jen, I don't know where to start, but part of your car is in Bristol, the other part ....."

Not a happy camper. Took delivery of my brand new Cali 6.1 in March. Lockdown meant no long overnight trips. However, in July managed three day break. On second night the lights in roof space failed. Next day electric roof failed to come down. After 3 hours it worked. Took it back to garage and they rebooted. Then down to Lake District. On second night light in pop up roof failed again, followed next day by roof failing again. Took four hours this time. Put it down to a blip. Next break to Loch Ness. Same routine. Lights failed and roof failed. Another four hours before it sorted. Took back to garage in August.Was with them for six weeks. No resolution. Then VW said yes a fault and they would have software fix this month. That was the end for me. E mailed VW with long rejection letter. In November VW and garage gave us back all our money plus some compensation. Alas I had lost all confidence. I am now awaiting arrival of new Adria Twin Supreme SGX. No electric roof but an electric bed! I loved the Cali but enough was enough. For the record I tried everything to get roof down. Kept engine running and even driving slowly around campsites with roof up with numerous campers telling me roof was up! After four hours it seemed to right itself. Hope no one else has had this problem.
Sorry to read all the problems you had. Hope your next van will give you years of enjoyment in Adria lovely Van's.

Lots of luddite sentiment on here :) :)

Following my apprenticeship I trained as a draughtsman in the last century. My designs drawn in pencil on transparent paper where taken to the print room where dyeline prints (blueprints) were produced. The blueprints were carried to the toolroom where highly skilled toolmakers would read them and cut metal stock with a lathe/drill/mill/shaper/grinder. The components produced in the toolroom would be assembled to create a tool - a press tool, injection mould, etc.The tool would be taken to the relevant production department for the manufacture of the finished part.

Nowadays the design is done using CAD (Computer Aided Design). The file is sent across a network (LAN or WAN) direct to a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine. Could be a milling machine or a 3D printer. Job done.

That’s progress.
The T6.1 is progress. :)

I’ll now retreat to my bunker before the volley of counter arguments bring down the Internet. Bring back the Carrier Pigeon. :)

This story may be elsewhere on the forum.
I had a work colleague who owned an Allegro. At some point there was a recall because wheels were coming off. He took it to the dealers for a check and after the check, on his way back to work, a wheel fell off.

Lots of luddite sentiment on here :) :)

Following my apprenticeship I trained as a draughtsman in the last century. My designs drawn in pencil on transparent paper where taken to the print room where dyeline prints (blueprints) were produced. The blueprints were carried to the toolroom where highly skilled toolmakers would read them and cut metal stock with a lathe/drill/mill/shaper/grinder. The components produced in the toolroom would be assembled to create a tool - a press tool, injection mould, etc.The tool would be taken to the relevant production department for the manufacture of the finished part.

Nowadays the design is done using CAD (Computer Aided Design). The file is sent across a network (LAN or WAN) direct to a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) machine. Could be a milling machine or a 3D printer. Job done.

That’s progress.
The T6.1 is progress. :)

I’ll now retreat to my bunker before the volley of counter arguments bring down the Internet. Bring back the Carrier Pigeon. :)
If I may, that is a matter of opinion.

The word progress implies that something has moved forward and been improved in some way. Maybe the T6-1 has, maybe not. The T6-1 is a fine vehicle with a long and well established heritage but personally I'm struggling to think of how it has been improved in any meaningful way. Yes, they've introduced some minor changes and styling tweaks but do they make it any better to own and use than previous models? It's now more complex and sports some up to date techy stuff but how does that make it any better at fulfilling it's prime role as a camper van? I fully acccept that new regulations and laws have meant that some things have had to be added or changed but that isn't necessarily progress.

Last edited:

The word progress implies that something has moved forward and been improved in some way. Maybe the T6-1 has, maybe not. The T6-1 is a fine vehicle with a long and well established heritage but personally I'm struggling to think of how it has been improved in any meaningful way. Yes, they've introduced some minor changes and styling tweaks but do they make it any better to own and use than previous models? It's now more complex and sports some up to date techy stuff but how does that make it any better at fulfilling it's prime role as a camper van? I fully acccept that new regulations and laws have meant that some things have had to be added or changed but that isn't necessarily progress.
The problem is if things don’t develop change we all standstill,when new products come on the market people always say why do we need to change.I am one of those people but in time it all becomes clear and what we thought was good becomes some what dated.

So why are you not driving a T2 ?
For some of us the prime use is not as a camper van, it’s as an everyday vehicle that you can go camping in.
For the everyday use the modern technology in the main is very welcome.By that I’m thinking of sat nav, phone connection, music streaming, parking sensors, LED lights etc
In the camping side it’s difficult to see how they could have implemented clever things like “camping mode” without the new control panel. When turned on it let’s you select what happens to various lights when locking, unlocking or opening doors. So no lighting up the campsite with your DRLs when you unlock at night, no disturbing other occupants as you can set the courtesy lights to come on dimly etc etc. There’s lots of little things like this that I keep finding that I haven’t seen mentioned before.

The problem is if things don’t develop change we all standstill,when new products come on the market people always say why do we need to change.I am one of those people but in time it all becomes clear and what we thought was good becomes some what dated.
I agree. However, my point was does the T6-1 represent progress?

In my view, yes the T6.1 is progress for ocean models
T5-T5.1 styling exercise and arguably better engines
T5.1-T6. Another styling exercise & arguably a backward step with adblu
T6-T6.1 styling exercise again + bringing dashboard up to date. New control panel ( instead of the one everybody has been complaining about since 2008) with more functionality. Driver aids - cross wind assist, speed limiters etc in line with what is expected these days.
Revised cupboard doors to replace those that people again have been moaning about since T5 days.

Having followed the California since its uk introduction, I think this update is the most significant since the T5.1 engine changes.

Not a happy camper. Took delivery of my brand new Cali 6.1 in March. Lockdown meant no long overnight trips. However, in July managed three day break. On second night the lights in roof space failed. Next day electric roof failed to come down. After 3 hours it worked. Took it back to garage and they rebooted. Then down to Lake District. On second night light in pop up roof failed again, followed next day by roof failing again. Took four hours this time. Put it down to a blip. Next break to Loch Ness. Same routine. Lights failed and roof failed. Another four hours before it sorted. Took back to garage in August.Was with them for six weeks. No resolution. Then VW said yes a fault and they would have software fix this month. That was the end for me. E mailed VW with long rejection letter. In November VW and garage gave us back all our money plus some compensation. Alas I had lost all confidence. I am now awaiting arrival of new Adria Twin Supreme SGX. No electric roof but an electric bed! I loved the Cali but enough was enough. For the record I tried everything to get roof down. Kept engine running and even driving slowly around campsites with roof up with numerous campers telling me roof was up! After four hours it seemed to right itself. Hope no one else has had this problem.

All the best!
The Adria looks great! Did you get the "Sport" Version with roofbed?
Happy camping!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

So why are you not driving a T2 ?
For some of us the prime use is not as a camper van, it’s as an everyday vehicle that you can go camping in.
For the everyday use the modern technology in the main is very welcome.By that I’m thinking of sat nav, phone connection, music streaming, parking sensors, LED lights etc
In the camping side it’s difficult to see how they could have implemented clever things like “camping mode” without the new control panel. When turned on it let’s you select what happens to various lights when locking, unlocking or opening doors. So no lighting up the campsite with your DRLs when you unlock at night, no disturbing other occupants as you can set the courtesy lights to come on dimly etc etc. There’s lots of little things like this that I keep finding that I haven’t seen mentioned before.
I agree. However, my point was does the T6-1 represent progress?
Having never owned a 6 I can't offer a direct comparison but a few things spring to mind. The electromechanical steering system & the side wind assist from a driving point of view. I don't think anyone could argue that the new overhead full colour, touch screen display isn't an improvement on the 1980's calculator display on the 6. Some may consider the digital cockpit to also be an improvement. In the habitat I guess other than the overhead display controlling the lights and showing the vans level then the lounge feature would be the only other difference. If you love the 6 then I can't see any reason to change but there is a slow evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back