Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Farewell to Cali 6.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t owned a cali ocean previous to a 6.1, but I am very happy with the level of technology and reliability so far.
I’d happily (or sadly) inform if there were any issues to make others aware.
For me it’s a camper with the added benefit of having quite a few of the latest bits of kit fitted to ‘nice’ cars, be that safety or driver aids etc.
I’m still none the wiser how some posters on here deem themselves experts on the apparent poor quality, reliability and major faults when they don’t actually own one!

In my view, yes the T6.1 is progress for ocean models
T5-T5.1 styling exercise and arguably better engines
T5.1-T6. Another styling exercise & arguably a backward step with adblu
T6-T6.1 styling exercise again + bringing dashboard up to date. New control panel ( instead of the one everybody has been complaining about since 2008) with more functionality. Driver aids - cross wind assist, speed limiters etc in line with what is expected these days.
Revised cupboard doors to replace those that people again have been moaning about since T5 days.

Having followed the California since its uk introduction, I think this update is the most significant since the T5.1 engine changes.
Everything you have just mentioned is also applicable to the Coast so it is't just the Ocean.

Everything you have just mentioned is also applicable to the Coast so it is't just the Ocean.
Apart from in the Uk we haven’t had the coast until the T6.1 so no evolution in the uk.

You ar
So why are you not driving a T2 ?
For some of us the prime use is not as a camper van, it’s as an everyday vehicle that you can go camping in.
For the everyday use the modern technology in the main is very welcome.By that I’m thinking of sat nav, phone connection, music streaming, parking sensors, LED lights etc
In the camping side it’s difficult to see how they could have implemented clever things like “camping mode” without the new control panel. When turned on it let’s you select what happens to various lights when locking, unlocking or opening doors. So no lighting up the campsite with your DRLs when you unlock at night, no disturbing other occupants as you can set the courtesy lights to come on dimly etc etc. There’s lots of little things like this that I keep finding that I haven’t seen mentioned before.
You are missing my point.

Why do you assume that I am against progress? My point was simply that VW haven't exactly put themselves out and pushed things on. They've fiddled with the cupboard handles, changed the trim again, splashed out on a new front bumper and changed the dash. Leaving aside the current teething problems, the new electronic screens are probably the way forward for the manufacturers but do they feed information to the driver in a clearer manner than conventional instruments or do they merely provide a greater level of distraction?

You've mentioned a whole list of features that you say are welcome but how many of them are new to the T6-1?

I'm not denigrating the T6-1 because it is a fine vehicle but merely questioning if it represents real progress or just a mid life make over?

As an aside, have you seen this concept vehicle from Skoda. I hope they decide to go into production. Having owned four Skodas to date, I can tell you that they make fine vehicles. I'm sure they would make a fine job if it. Being part of the VW group it could represent real step forward.

They've fiddled with the cupboard handles,

The bloke that has completely redesigned the wardrobe & rear cupboard doors will be in tears if he reads that.

It’s a bit more than handles that have changed, the tambour doors have gone & replaced by sliders.

The bloke that has completely redesigned the wardrobe & rear cupboard doors will be in tears if he reads that.

It’s a bit more than handles that have changed, the tambour doors have gone & replaced by sliders.
Ok so it's a major step forward in cupboard handle design. There still only cupboards though.

Seems as lots of things on the 6.1 are the same or similar to the 6. The hob. Fridge.Gas supply. Water pump. Batteries.Heater ( apart from the control of it) Etc I don't see why a T6 driver cant comment on a T6.1 post especially regarding faults.

Seems as lots of things on the 6.1 are the same or similar to the 6. The hob. Fridge.Gas supply. Water pump. Batteries.Heater ( apart from the control of it) Etc I don't see why a T6 driver cant comment on a T6.1 post especially regarding faults.
Especially where they are commenting on the number of similar faults being flagged up on the forum.

Ok so it's a major step forward in cupboard handle design. There still only cupboards though.
Hello
There is more and this can easily be found on the internet:
"The California 6.1 has electromechanical power steering. This gives Volkswagen the opportunity to offer various new driver assistance systems for the California. Examples are Lane Assist, Side Protection and Trailer Assist. In addition, a side-wind compensation system is available."
This and all that has already been mentioned makes that Volkswagen finds it an important facelif and hence the T6.1. You can off course minimize everything and be ironic about it but I don't understand the need for that. It is not neseccary to be scornful about any California model.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to our new coast. Now we have a T4 westfalia so for us quite a change and it is simply the T6.1 if you buy a new one (was also cheaper than a second-hand T6).
Greetings

Im not asking anyone to stop commenting on anything but there are a lot of changes that unless you have had both models you probably wouldn't realise are different.

On your list:
The Hob, fridge, gas & water supply- yes unchanged as far as I can see.
Batteries - wired or at least monitored differently, fast charge facility added. kitchen wiring changed, USB/USC sockets added & inverter changed - what are these now powered off?
Heater - totally different control system, am not sure yet if the actual operation has changed, I have a feeling it may be continuous run with variable temperature rather than constant temperature with stop start. Then there is the ventilation mode that operates via the dashboard vents. No one appears to know if this runs off the starter or leisure batteries.

Add in the usual VW manuals & the scope for confusion is massive.

I'm sure if you looked back to much older Threads, circa 2015/6 all the same comments were made regarding the introduction of the T6, or T5.2 as some called it. The only change on the Habitation side was the 3 piece worktop and the rest were van side mainly emissions equipment.
The T6.1 is very different compared to the T5.1 or T6/T5.2
Habitation area, lounge function, lighting, cupboard doors, roof bellows and now a proper Control Panel with many more monitoring and camper functions. Van side, more emissions equipment and more driver aids.
One could say that the T6.1 is the proper evolutionary T6 and the T6 was a T5.2 makeover of the T5.1.

Just to clarify why I think that the T6.1 has gone too far into the electronics do everything world.

Case in point here with a top control failure.

A few cases of T6 problems where the owner has identified the fault, procured any parts required and done a satisfactory self repair.
T6.1 Owner has no ability to diagnose the problem if in the control/electronics area. VW weren't even able to rectify the problem after some days. Potentially horrendous bill when out of warranty.

That type of instance leaves me with a worry about long term problems years down the road being very expensive if not virtually impossible to rectify due to obsolete parts.

I spent many years servicing & repairing computer equipment where it was known that by the time a product came to the market it was already obsolete.

I'm sure if you looked back to much older Threads, circa 2015/6 all the same comments were made regarding the introduction of the T6, or T5.2 as some called it. The only change on the Habitation side was the 3 piece worktop and the rest were van side mainly emissions equipment.
Habitation area, lounge function, lighting, cupboard doors, roof bellows and now a proper Control Panel with many more monitoring and camper functions. Van side, more emissions equipment and more driver aids.
One could say that the T6.1 is the proper evolutionary T6 and the T6 was a T5.2 makeover of the T5.1.
Exactly well said ,it’s like the 4 motion discussion people talk about not needing it just get better tyres etc but the truth be told everyone would have it if they could afford it,The new dash might not be as functional as the t6 from a commercial view but it looks modern and better suits a premium vehicle.Going back to the coasts manual roof yes it probably is more reliable but again how far do you go manual windows no heating system again I bet most people would have the hydraulic roof and the ocean spec if funds allowed.

Just to clarify why I think that the T6.1 has gone too far into the electronics do everything world.

Case in point here with a top control failure.

A few cases of T6 problems where the owner has identified the fault, procured any parts required and done a satisfactory self repair.
T6.1 Owner has no ability to diagnose the problem if in the control/electronics area. VW weren't even able to rectify the problem after some days. Potentially horrendous bill when out of warranty.

That type of instance leaves me with a worry about long term problems years down the road being very expensive if not virtually impossible to rectify due to obsolete parts.

I spent many years servicing & repairing computer equipment where it was known that by the time a product came to the market it was already obsolete.

Your T5 owner wouldn't have been able to diagnose control panel faults 6 months after the launch. I seem to remember that it wasn't until peoples warranties had expired that control panels started getting repaired.
Give it some time & someone will have it worked out. As long as its before my 5 year warranty is up.
VW themselves have been saying that their technicians are behind with training due to covid.

Exactly well said ,it’s like the 4 motion discussion people talk about not needing it just get better tyres etc but the truth be told everyone would have it if they could afford it,The new dash might not be as functional as the t6 from a commercial view but it looks modern and better suits a premium vehicle.Going back to the coasts manual roof yes it probably is more reliable but again how far do you go manual windows no heating system again I bet most people would have the hydraulic roof and the ocean spec if funds allowed.
Well, I certainly don't want an electro-hydraulic lifting roof, even more: if the coast didn't exist, I didn't buy a California. So it is not about funds but about preference with us. We added a heater and a few more options and for the rest the coast is good enough for us. We pay on delivery and that's that.
Oh, we do have electic windows.
Enjoy your ocean, we will enjoy our coast just as much :thumb
Greetings

Well, I certainly don't want an electro-hydraulic lifting roof, even more: if the coast didn't exist, I didn't buy a California. So it is not about funds but about preference with us. We added a heater and a few more options and for the rest the coast is good enough for us. We pay on delivery and that's that.
Oh, we do have electic windows.
Enjoy your ocean, we will enjoy our coast just as much :thumb
Greetings
Excellent really pleased for you that’s what it’s all about being happy with what you have purchased, its Just some people feel the need to pick fault with other peoples choices and purchases.

Agree
The T5.1 & T6 was a steady evolution from the original T5.
The T5.1 probably being the sweet spot from the late T4s for reliability.

T6.1 is a complete different beast and no doubt the early ones will be the test mules.
What becomes apparent with Volkswagen vans is waiting for the update model in 3 years time. The only reason they changed the Casio camper controls was to save some costs, same with the digital dash.

It’s a cost cutting exercise...

Agree

T6.1 is a complete different beast and no doubt the early ones will be the test mules.
What becomes apparent with Volkswagen vans is waiting for the update model in 3 years time. The only reason they changed the Casio camper controls was to save some costs, same with the digital dash.

How do you know it’s a cost cutting exercise lol every manufacturer is going to digital and the reason is the old style dash looks old

Agree

Is it?
Touch screens, iPads, Notebooks, Smartphones etc are now everyday items so if their introduction into the automotive industry is a cost cutting exercise its probably because they are cheaper and easier to produce as a unit because all you need is the software behind them to do what you want.
Of course we could go back to the old bakalite phone, abacus and Encyclopedia Britannica.

4 motion is good but our local Ben Nevis guides manage fine with 2wd + winter tyres + chains on the odd time. The forest mountain track to 300 metres elevation is not cleared and they manage fine.
For me its not the purchase cost but weight, overall fuel cost of lugging something around 99% of the time I don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back