Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry or Tunnel for Norwegian Trip

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I am planning a trip to Northern Norway in a few weeks' time.

Has anyone here figured out the best (quickest/cheapest) way of getting over the water?

Ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, or Tunnel, then drive up? I believe the ferry takes about 7 hours. The Tunnel 27 minutes, followed by a long drive. The benefit of the tunnel is if you miss your slot, you can nearly always get the next one. Not sure how many ferries there are each day and we may be wandering around Scandinavian and playing it by ear so will not have a definitive return date.

Thank you

Dont recall that ferry taking 7 hours when we went to Iceland in 2017, possibly 5. and copmpaired to our usual ferry trips over to France it was cosiderably cheaper.

As you live in Sussex I would think the tunnel option would be far easier and cheaper. I guess it's about two hundred miles from Calais to the Hook of Holland and you wouldn't need to go there, head further east across Germany from Calais.

I am planning a trip to Northern Norway in a few weeks' time.

Has anyone here figured out the best (quickest/cheapest) way of getting over the water?

Ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, or Tunnel, then drive up? I believe the ferry takes about 7 hours. The Tunnel 27 minutes, followed by a long drive. The benefit of the tunnel is if you miss your slot, you can nearly always get the next one. Not sure how many ferries there are each day and we may be wandering around Scandinavian and playing it by ear so will not have a definitive return date.

Thank you
I’m taking the Harwich ferry next week. Fixed, overnight crossing with cabin, Flexi daytime crossing for return.
2 Ferry crossings /day. Daytime from U.K. about 1300hrs or nighttime 2300hrs.

the positive with the ferry is you can book a room and have a sleep while you travel. then your fresh for driving the next day. with the tunnel and its speed you will need to park up to have a kip. depends where you live I suppose. for me it would be the ferry

Yes living in the north we didi the ferry, doesn't make sense to drive south and then back up again.

Dont recall that ferry taking 7 hours when we went to Iceland in 2017, possibly 5. and copmpaired to our usual ferry trips over to France it was cosiderably cheaper.

Stena Hollandica 09:00 - 17:15

Stena Britannica 23:00 - 08:00

As you live in Sussex I would think the tunnel option would be far easier and cheaper. I guess it's about two hundred miles from Calais to the Hook of Holland and you wouldn't need to go there, head further east across Germany from Calais.

Yes, that makes sense.

Back