Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Going to Norway (& back) - 2018. Looking for tips.

Only thing that puts us off the Harwich ferry is its kennels or they have to be left in the vehicle for 8hours +. Has anyone experienced this?

If it is overnight, it may not be so bad.

Sorry if this may seem crazy. How about getting the van shipped somewhere unaccompanied & then fly out and tour from there? e.g. Tromsø ? I see that people do that when I went to Iceland last year.

In 2000 I put a car into a container to the South of India (Chennai) and drove back to UK over 6 months,. The shipping wasn't that expensive & I am sure Norwegian port authorities are efficient to deal with.

Only thing that puts us off the Harwich ferry is its kennels or they have to be left in the vehicle for 8hours +. Has anyone experienced this?

We try and use the Harwich to HvH route if we can. The overnight crossing is relaxing and is not that expensive. We are going to the Factory visit in May and have booked this route - cost including over night cabin with bunk beds £208 return.

From Hirtshals Denmark to Kristiansand in Norway it's only a few hours so no cabin needed dogs stay in the Cali like on Dover-Calais.

We found no trouble having Mieke with us on our three weeks trip in Norway , can't say they are not dog friendly ...most campsites allow pets.
Three weeks is ok for the south part , or take a ferry up half way and get to the North part .
I think if you drive up thru Sweden It's your choice ...less Norway and some Sweden time. Arriving in Krisiansand you get the rirect connection on the coastalroad and go clockwise up , get to see only Norway , do Sweden later .

A few years ago I did it on two wheels in three weeks without pushing it. I did "make progress" for a few days through Sweden to get to Nordkapp. Then had a great time coming back through Norway including out to the Lofoten Islands.

but I don't think Norway is a very dog orientated country from all accounts?
Norway is the most dog friendly from all the Europe we experienced. Not a single camping will prohibit dogs and None of them ever charge a penny for a dog.
Hirtshals ferry, fjordlines fjordcat goes just 2,15min. The dog is 7eur each and stays in the car. You are allowed to take the dog to the bridge, but might be cold there.
If you plan ahead can get as low as 80eur rate and cali fits in their lowest 1,95 height.

For 3 weeks I wouldn't go higher than Alesund.

Thanks very much, really appreciate the advice and glad to hear Norway is dog friendly :D

Thanks very much, really appreciate the advice and glad to hear Norway is dog friendly :D
How many miles do you wish to travel/day?
Hook of Holland to Oslo is a smidge under 1000 miles. For me that is about 3 days driving.
Hook of Holland - Germany about 400 miles.
Germany to Denmark about 300+
Denmark to Oslo 300 miles or so.
So 3 days to get to Oslo and 3/4 days for the return so you will have about 2 weeks to tour.

I normally drive, on the way there from 8/9 am until 3pm or so with stops for Coffee and Lunch.

Once at my starting off point, in my case Oslo this year, then I can meander.

The high season is July/August and average speeds will then be reduced because of the increase in Holiday traffic, particularly Motor Homes.

When we did Denmark last year, I think it took us 3 or maybe 4 days to reach Denmark (can't quite remember) but we spent a good 2 days in Belgium with Patrick and his family.

We don't want to push it too hard, the dogs are good as gold but they need a good leg stretch a couple of times a day but I think a thousand miles in 3 days sounds good to me and achievable.

We will be going in June I think so we may just miss the holiday traffic.

Why not use the Tunnel, dogs can stay in the vehicle for the 35 min trip, yes it's more time on the road to Holland but it's not an 8-12 hour ferry crossing either so swings and roundabouts.

The route over the bridges through Malmo is so boooring and annoying. 2 bridges are like 25+50 euros. More fuel. More paid roads near Oslo Highways.
Unless you want to visit Oslo, I would ferry to Kristiansand and dive into the woods countryside right away. The best way to experience Norway is staying from all the few "highways" they have.
Something like fv2543 roads code are my favourite, usually lacks pavement but smoother than in some big cities in Europe. And you find free wild camp spots on such roads with no much effort.

The route over the bridges through Malmo is so boooring and annoying. 2 bridges are like 25+50 euros. More fuel. More paid roads near Oslo Highways.
Unless you want to visit Oslo, I would ferry to Kristiansand and dive into the woods countryside right away. The best way to experience Norway is staying from all the few "highways" they have.
Something like fv2543 roads code are my favourite, usually lacks pavement but smoother than in some big cities in Europe. And you find free wild camp spots on such roads with no much effort.
Now I’m the opposite. Enjoy driving and find the ferry boring. I marvel at the engineering of the bridges . Short ferry ride is OK if necessary.
Each to his own.

"Going to Norway (& back) - 2018. Looking for tips"

Sorry I've not read the whole thread and this may have been mentioned before

--- but *definitely* take some booze (if you partake of course) -- it's exorbitant there....

Couple of years ago we drove to Kiel (via Hamburg and Miniatur-Wunderland !), then took the ferry to Oslo, loved it, it's more like a cruise ship. Then got the Bergen-Hirtschals ferry back.
This year we are driving via Copenhagen to Stockholm, then Oslo-Kiel ferry back. Bit of both.
But we like ferries.