Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Norway in only 15 days (actually 17 oops)

I live in Stavanger between Kristiansand and Bergen (about half way), Your whole route is about 8 hours on the E39 (costal ‘highway’). I camp in the van all year round, with my record being -27, but be aware that a lot of the smaller routes in the mountains are now closed for the winter and some of the main routes will close in bad weather. An alternative is taking diversions along the way or going up the Atlantic Road from Bergen which is very pretty and has loads to stop and see on the way. Although there is no snow on the coast in the south at the moment, you don’t have to go too far inland to find lots of it.

Another option would be to go east from Kristiansand to Oslo, up the E6 and then down the E39 or Atlantic Road to Bergen.

If you stick to the E39 you have more than enough time to get up to the arctic circle. I would probably go as far as Alsund (spelling may be wonky!) as after that becomes a bit of a repetitive slog and many things are closed out of season. As a reference point, last night my van was reading -3 on the coast and this afternoon inland was -4.

2 great apps to find places to stay are Camper Connect and Park4Night both o which will show you everything from sites to free parking places, lots of marinas let you stay for a small fee and throw in electricity, toilets, water and sometimes WiFi.

Depending on if you go inland or not it may be worth taking a camping stove and getting some Norwegian camping gas (butane/propane mix) from one of the many XXL sports shops that litter the outskirts of towns along the E39. UK camping gas is butane which is not sold in Norway as it freezes easily. I use 2 camping stoves in winter and leave the large canister at home.

Similarly, if you are going inland I would suggest not using the internal water supply as the pipes have a habit of freezing and splitting which is not cheap to fix. I take a couple of large bottles but still use the sink. There are loads of places to both empty and fill up for free along the route.

If you do need things for the van along the way, Biltema is like Halfords on crack and caters to cars, camping and boats so has everything you need, again they litter the E39 especially in the south.

Lastly, don’t forget that both snow chains and a shovel are not optional and the police do have road blocks to check if the weather is bad. On that subject, if there is a speed camera sign then there is definitely a camera, the E39 to Bergen has quite a few, especially in the deep tunnels.

Have a great time, I love Norway in winter but it is cold!!!

I've just realised it's actually 17 days we've got!
Even living there for 10 years, whenever we went away we would increase the SatNav estimated time be around 50% because at every turn we wanted to stop and admire the scenery, and get out and walk the dogs... lots to see and do between Kristiansand and Bergen, yet only a fraction of the country...
AlisonF we spent 62 days last Sept and Oct 2018 Bournemouth to Nordkapp and back via the Denmark Rømø meet . Up the west coast Norway back down through Finland and Sweden to see the Northern lights . Timing just right . Norway is a big country with no motorways to speak of but a lot of amazing tunnels !