Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Going to Norway (& back) - 2018. Looking for tips.

I’m planning on doing the same this summer, through Sweden and up and over in to Finland. I guess I’ll be looking for an empty 907.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m planning on doing the same this summer, through Sweden and up and over in to Finland. I guess I’ll be looking for an empty 907.

Towsure sell empty ones for £12

We doubt you will find any Campingaz at all... There is no use for butane in Scandinavia, generally speaking, because it stops evaporating around 4 degrees Celsius.
An alternative is to get yourself one of those refillable propane bottles the size of the 907. You can have it refilled in many places in Scandinavia. We have one of those, and it works like a charm.
Bvddobb thanks for info . Where can we get a refillable propane bottle ( 907) ? Do you need a different regulator ? We’re doing Northern Lights Trip in Sept / Oct this year . Thanks

Looking back an earlier trip I reckon a full 907 lasted 51 days. So I reckon two bottles and a BBQ and maybe a backup spirit stove or canister burner will be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In Scandinavia you do not use refill gas but replacing gas bottles, you deliver an old blank and get a new filled bottle. Even if you deliver one with butane, you get a new one with propane, there is no difference between the regulator for butane and propane. In Denmark you can buy gas at Kosangas and there are vending machines in several places where you can exchange bottles, also you can buy gas in most marinas

Looking back an earlier trip I reckon a full 907 lasted 51 days. So I reckon two bottles and a BBQ and maybe a backup spirit stove or canister burner will be plenty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We reckon a 907 lasts us, a family of four, four weeks. It should last a couple about six weeks. Making a thermos instead of boiling the kettle regularly helps.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Bvddobb thanks for info . Where can we get a refillable propane bottle ( 907) ? Do you need a different regulator ? We’re doing Northern Lights Trip in Sept / Oct this year . Thanks
Hi @Trebor , we have written about it here before, see e.g. here in this forum. They are quite common in Germany. You can also read about them on the german Caliboard.
There you can also read how people fill them from larger bottles themselves:

20150826_130754.jpg

You'd don't need another regulator, you need another valve, but this can be ordered with the bottle. As can be filling adapters for different countries.

Last edited:
We had 4 days without gaz in Germany once when we ran out.
It was a real pain. We now carry a hanging scale so we can anticipate problems

We had 4 days without gaz in Germany once when we ran out.
How come? It isn't any issue to change Campingaz bottles in Germany, surely? Many campsite shops store them, even! (and in Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Benelux...) We never had any issue changing Campingaz bottles there. Eastern Europe: difficult. Scandinavia: impossible. But everywhere else: never had a problem.

How come? It isn't any issue to change Campingaz bottles in Germany, surely? Many campsite shops store them, even! (and in Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France, Benelux...) We never had any issue changing Campingaz bottles there. Eastern Europe: difficult. Scandinavia: impossible. But everywhere else: never had a problem.
They all had massive bottles but no small ones.

Basically Campingaz is Butane.
So any country where bottled gas use is common THAT uses Propane because of winter use will not be selling Campingaz cylinders containing Butane.
So Northern European and some Eastern European countries tend not to use Butane and so will not be selling Campingaz refillable 907/4/1 cylinders.

Every Swedish and Norwegian campsite I stayed on had full Campsite kitchens / dining rooms with hobs, cookers and microwaves for use by the campers.
Out of season there shouldn’t be any great demand.

Been through Scandinavia and now in Baltics. 60 days so far and still have gas in my 907.

I haven’t touched my second bottle yet or reserve canisters and single burner backup.

I haven’t been mean with the gas but have made some use of the facilities provided kettles, cookers and fire pits.

Came across a Swedish registered Cali, but I couldn’t quite figure out what they did for gas.

Been through Scandinavia and now in Baltics. 60 days so far and still have gas in my 907.

I haven’t touched my second bottle yet or reserve canisters and single burner backup.

I haven’t been mean with the gas but have made some use of the facilities provided kettles, cookers and fire pits.

Came across a Swedish registered Cali, but I couldn’t quite figure out what they did for gas.
We completed the Baltic Loop (north through Denmark, Sweden, Norway to Nordkapp, then south through Finland, Estonia and Latvia, and west through Lithuania and Poland) as a family of four over 11 weeks. We took two 907 camping gaz bottles, the second of which ran out in Krakow. Campingaz refills are either unavailable or difficult to find in the Nordic countries and the Baltic states. Many campsites in Nordic countries have camping kitchens, but we usually used our own gas for hot drinks and a thermos in the morning and cooking in the evening.

As a general guide, a full 907 will last our family of four for four weeks, eating out once a week.

We are just halfway into our 10 week Norway/Denmark/Germany/Netherlands trip and still on our first 907 (we took two) and that is without eating out. Have used a single ring burner outside the van on occasions when the weather has been sunny and without wind.
When we have stayed at campsites we have mostly hooked up and used our electric kettle for drinks etc. Don’t forget most campsites have coking facilities too (see earlier post!). They are usually better than that!!

My first has just run out in Cesis Latvia on the return leg from Scandinavia.

61 days.

Last edited:
My first has just run out in Cesis Latvia on the return leg from Scandinavia.

61 days.

Impressive! If that is cooking every day that is epic use.

We leave for Norway next Thursday. Had our propane bottle (see above) topped up earlier today: € 4,63 :thumb

That beats Campingaz pricing by a few miles... :D

Enjoy your trip. Don’t forget the photos.:)

Been reading all the threads with interest in prep for our Norway trip this year.

I am starting to wonder if we have been overly ambitious in thinking we can do it in the short time we have. I've managed to get 3 weeks leave from work by special request, we want to take our dogs but I don't think Norway is a very dog orientated country from all accounts?

Currently looking at the ferry's to Amsterdam and then from Hirtshals in Denmark but they only seem to have dog friendly cabins coming back but not going out which is rather bizarre.

We really don't want to put them in a kennel for a long journey I don't think its fair on them and Honey especially would get stressed. Has anyone had any experiences with dogs and ferries? Ideally we would love to just get a boat straight to Norway but they all stopped in 2014.

I guess that is what makes these trips a little beyond the normal holiday, they are an expedition really and need proper planning and schedules.

Been reading all the threads with interest in prep for our Norway trip this year.

I am starting to wonder if we have been overly ambitious in thinking we can do it in the short time we have. I've managed to get 3 weeks leave from work by special request, we want to take our dogs but I don't think Norway is a very dog orientated country from all accounts?

Currently looking at the ferry's to Amsterdam and then from Hirtshals in Denmark but they only seem to have dog friendly cabins coming back but not going out which is rather bizarre.

We really don't want to put them in a kennel for a long journey I don't think its fair on them and Honey especially would get stressed. Has anyone had any experiences with dogs and ferries? Ideally we would love to just get a boat straight to Norway but they all stopped in 2014.

I guess that is what makes these trips a little beyond the normal holiday, they are an expedition really and need proper planning and schedules.
Just Drive from Hook of Holland.

Best way for most from UK is Harwich to Hook van Holland and then as WG says drive. You can void the ferry from Denmark by going via Sweden using the bridge between Denmark and Sweden. Then drive up the West coast to Norway.
Don't forget that Norway is not rich in motorways and that the national speed limit is 80kph (50mph) and often this is not possible to even achieve that due to roadworks, lorries and twisty roads. You need to take your time and not be over ambitious. The only thing we really fixed in our minds was when we were there in 2018 was our turnround point - not a location but from a time schedule point of view. Hope this helps.
You will have a great time.
R & T.
upload_2019-3-28_13-17-36.png