Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sarek National Park

zeratul

zeratul

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Considering Sarek national park (sometimes called the Alaska of Europe or Europe's last real wilderness) as one of the core destinations of next summer's Scandinavian road trip.
We'll probably drive all the way there and return after 3-4 weeks with the Finnish night car-train from lapland and ferry from Helsinki (which is cali-compatible) back to Germany.

The idea is to make as many walks as possible in Sarek, from different starting areas accessible by "road": Kvikkjok, Vietas and Ritsem. But they are at the edge of Sarek and I'm not sure you get the see the beauty of it there in a 1-day hike. I don't know anything about access from the Norwegian side (and the Swedish would not advertise that probably..)

We could consider multi-day hikes, sleep at some of the mountain cabins, but we're traveling with children that even though they love hiking cannot carry too much.

Anyone has any experience with Sarek?

I've not been hiking that far north but just to give you some inspiration (only in Swedish) you could watch this video series.

From what I've heard, if you're an "experienced" hiker and know how to work a map and compass in combination with a phone/gps you'll be fine. Depends on if you're sticking to the routes or going into the wild.

Enjoy!