Fiamma F45s from Campervanbits

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
After talking to some members and chatting to Nick at Campervanbits I decided to go for an F45s awning over the Omnistor one.

It seems it is a slightly larger awning but also the canvas is a single piece. I have heard stories of two part panels on the Omnister the glue can degrade and cause faults in hot weather. I felt the F45 being the original Cali awning too it was a good option and I decided to order..

Ordered with Nick late on Monday and it arrived by courier with the Cali fitting kit on the Wednesday morning, faster than quoted! Thanks to Nick for the great support and advice even before I ordered, and for being able to look at one at the Cali meet. It really made the decision a whole lot easier to make.

I am planning to fit it this weekend and will post some pics and my experience on the fitting for those pondering an awning.

Last edited:
If I didn't already have the VW standard awning I would definitely go for the F45. I saw a few at the Lower Lode meet last weekend and they look great and the quality feels top notch. Good investment @MattBW and good luck with the fitting this weekend.

So we fitted the awning today. Relatively straight forward.

At first glance the instructions seem a little insufficient but in reality they are fine and worked well.

2 man job for sure,or rather two man to lift it on. The prep could have been done solo.

My recommendation is to fit one bracket at the front and then fit the rain seal before permanently fitting the rear bracket.

The seal is probably the hardest part of the install. I found washing up liquid helped a little but the best bet was to insert from the front, bend it towards yourself and push the Seal in hard with a thumb. Ouch painful.

Really happy with it, looks smart in black as does the gray canvas. The mechanism is great and easy to use and gives good coverage.

Very happy indeed! Thanks Nick!

Last edited:
15f758a31a2f223c79eb7299eb122677.jpg

4bdab3e0f708ead16bfabca06350fc12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3a174b3d9e2490e1474c720d83d6f0cd.jpg
bending the seal back and pushing in hard with a thumb seemed the fastest method. This allows you to see if it was inserted properly as you went.

Last edited:
Very slight height increase but I haven't measured exactly how much. I will do so tomorrow.

2a855684f9faa78931587449e93a52db.jpg

Mattbw,
Can you buy the sealing strip (2nd picture down) as a separate item, as when ours was fitted their wasn't such an item.

John

It came in its own box separately so I believe it's orderable on its own.

Nick at @comfortz may be able to order one for you.

It stops the water coming between the van and the awning.

Last edited:
Mattbw,
Can you buy the sealing strip (2nd picture down) as a separate item, as when ours was fitted their wasn't such an item.

John
Do you want me to order one in John? Its a separate item so no problem at all.

Cheers
Nick

Very slight height increase but I haven't measured exactly how much. I will do so tomorrow.

2a855684f9faa78931587449e93a52db.jpg

Good work Matt!, you can have one of the LED rafters now! I love mine plugs straight into the cigarette lighter next to the sliding door! Drop a PM if you want one - I have a couple in stock.

Funnily enough we saw one yesterday on a caravan and I was going to ask you about them and if they did a f45 one. They look brilliant.

I'll pop an order in on your site if you have stock :)

Can't fault you John! I'll get one in the next time I order and it'll be waiting for you when you get back :thumb

from experience I'd recommend both the Fiamma Rafter (keeps it taught) and either their tie-down straps / guy ropes or their heavy duty tent pegs. both available in yellow to match your mirror caps!

the Fiamma literature warns that it's a sun shade only & should be rolled back in during rain and/or windy conditions, but I'd keep it secured full time now - an unexpected gust of wind on an otherwise dead calm day in the Highlands last August lifted my F45S straight vertical and slammed it into the raised pop-top. didn't do the aluminium mounting brackets much good ...

I massively rate Fiamma kit, everything I've seen of theirs is top notch, but they can't defy physics.

Where do you store the rafter out of interest? Mines just arrived.