Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fiamma UltraBox 360 vs 500

D

Dan Craddock

Dan C
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
So, we're fairly new to the cali scene having only got ours in March. We're off to France in the summer and I have my suspicions we may have a space issue in the van. Yes, yes, I know the idea is to pack light, buy Rohan, etc etc but the harsh reality is that with a family of 4 inevitably things get a bit full. Not sure I'm happy about leaving anything in a fabric bag as suspect some villain will slash a hole in it to have a look even if there's noting of value in it. So, I'm looking at getting a box.

The question is basically does anyone have any experience of fitting the Fiamma 360 or 500 boxes on the standard VW bike rack? Can either fit? What are they like to mount and is the 500 too big?

Thoughts much appreciated....

So, we're fairly new to the cali scene having only got ours in March. We're off to France in the summer and I have my suspicions we may have a space issue in the van. Yes, yes, I know the idea is to pack light, buy Rohan, etc etc but the harsh reality is that with a family of 4 inevitably things get a bit full. Not sure I'm happy about leaving anything in a fabric bag as suspect some villain will slash a hole in it to have a look even if there's noting of value in it. So, I'm looking at getting a box.

The question is basically does anyone have any experience of fitting the Fiamma 360 or 500 boxes on the standard VW bike rack? Can either fit? What are they like to mount and is the 500 too big?

Thoughts much appreciated....
Hi Dan,
We have exactly the same dilemma - 5 weeks round Europe this summer with 2 kids and the wife has got her proverbial hair curlers on the packing list!
Are you any the wiser re. your post? Saw another thread on this forum that for a 360 box it's recommended to fix steel cross poles so my brief understanding - basically the bigger box needs something to buffer up against under braking. No idea where you would source tho! Good Luck.
Chris

I kept looking at the Fiamma boxes and reasoned I could successfully fit a 360 or 500 as they just about reach the sides of the bike rack and I would add angle angle bar accross the inside of the box between the clamps to stop it flexing through the rear window. However, I also figured it would likely make life to difficult as the boot would be a pain to open when anything was in the box and it would be very easy to keep stuffing things in it and overload the tailgate which would be "disappointing". In the end I've ordered a large lockable plastic trunk that can clamp to the bike rack and also be removed and used as a bench for the kids when we stop. I'm still waiting for it to arrive and will let you know how I get on.

Sounds like a great idea - cheers. Where did you order it from?

Back