Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First call to VW assistance......,

pjm-84

pjm-84

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
On the campsite in Salisbury and my awning has come apart . Fine an hour ago and now flapping at the seam. I've been hiding in the shade around the back of the Cali due to the good weather. Wife is as observant as a mole.

Any idea why this is not one piece and anyone come across this before?

there are a lot of posts about this issue replacement will be 1 bit without seam now as others have reported

Cheers......Just found this issue under a Google search. It's looks like a straight forward warranty replacement. Hopefully now 1 piece material (could you make this up if you tried?)

There's no glue to speak of under mine. Unless it's evaporated I'm amazed it held together this long.

Nice and sunny in Salisbury

Managed to roll the awning back in with VW Assist aka the AA man. Taping didn't work. 4 cable ties on the awning as it's not properly closed ( I'm looking forward to the rattling on the way home).

Breeze on Monday. Away next week and need an working awning. Do you reckon it will be sorted in a week??????

It's a straightforward job to change the awning as long as they can get hold of one. I think mine was in and out the same day.

To be honest , i ask myself calling assistance (AA as you call it in the UK ) when having this problem ....hoping he does what?
Bring a new awning ...?
Just get it rolled back in and let VW warrenty sort it out later.
Guess thats what he did, but why bother calling those guys for such a problem , just my 50cent .

Good point about Monday.

The issue is one of warranty and marital bliss. The first solution was to remove the awning but I was unable to carry that in the van. We then tried taping the awning(two of us) but that didn't work. We then wound the awning back in, me on the handle, him pushing the material in plus both of us holding the arms in and the wife moving the poles. First time it didn't work. I've now 4 of the biggest cable ties on the awning as the awning wouldn't house. Remember about 70% of my awning had come apart in the space of an hour and that had no glue remaining. The adhesion on the remaining element was questionable. We gave it a go but had to remove the tension from the arms.

So yep I probably could have got it back in with outside help. But it would have been a long walk back into Salisbury to get some cable ties. Probably could have got away without cable ties and then it would have been a trip to VW for them to assess the extent of the issue before ordering a replacement. I'm hoping that as I already have a paper trail in place I can avoid this. I have already emailed them.

Last edited:
Good you where sorted out , calling AA probaly was a good thing for you .
I carry a lot of gear ...including cable ties ....and like to solve things myself , but fully understand it from your piont of view .
The most fun part comes now , dealing with VW :Depressed
Keep us posted on the result!

Managed to roll the awning back in with VW Assist aka the AA man. Taping didn't work. 4 cable ties on the awning as it's not properly closed ( I'm looking forward to the rattling on the way home).

Breeze on Monday. Away next week and need an working awning. Do you reckon it will be sorted in a week??????
Breeze Totton or Poole?

Well known with the guys at Totton. Side door now 100% working after motor change. Only took a year and half dozen visits.

I have to say every time I use my awning (and I’m sitting in the van looking at it as I type....) I ask myself why on earth on such an expensive vehicle with every gizmo gadget going is there a sodding great seam in the awning fabric :confused: !!!

Surely in this day and age it can be manufactured in one piece??? Madness.

Really hope you get it sorted, and please keep us posted as to the outcome :thumb

cable ties. gaffa tape. bungee cords tool kit. beer. all essentials

I have to say every time I use my awning (and I’m sitting in the van looking at it as I type....) I ask myself why on earth on such an expensive vehicle with every gizmo gadget going is there a sodding great seam in the awning fabric :confused: !!!

Surely in this day and age it can be manufactured in one piece??? Madness.

Really hope you get it sorted, and please keep us posted as to the outcome :thumb
Had mine replaced now it is one piece

Top marks Breeze.

Booked in Thursday morning for a replacement awning along with the idler recall.

Back