Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Camp in our Coast and some lessons learnt to share

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
A few lessons learnt from our first camp in the van..
- To stop all the internal lights going on when someone needs to sneak out to the loo you need to set the van into 'camping mode' on the overhead dashboard
- Don't put the heating too high, in the end we found level 2 overnight to be about right and that's with an overnight frost with the pop top up
- Although we have no thermal covers there was absolutely no condensation in the van in the morning which was strange, I assume it's something to do with the heater being on?
- The air though with the heater on is very dry and you wake up with a very, very dry throat
- When the pop top is up it's like a tent and everyone can hear you shouting at your kids
- It was freezing but my little girls were fine in the pop top with warm pyjamas and blankets, so we aren't going to bother with the isotop thermal liner
- Seat covers are essential with a dog and young children !
- With a family of 4 packing and unpacking needs to be done in a certain order with car seats and rear bench moved forward done at the very end when packing up, husband put the table in after this with limited space, tripped, fell backwards in the van with table in hand and chipped the van door deep breaths ..deep breaths but that's another thread!
- The manual roof is actually quite hard to get up and down and I would struggle by myself initially but still wouldn't swap it for an electric one though.

20210416_074312.jpg

20210416_073946.jpg

20210416_074007.jpg

- To stop all the internal lights going on when someone needs to sneak out to the loo you need to set the van into 'camping mode' on the overhead dashboard
- Don't put the heating too high, in the end we found level 2 overnight to be about right and that's with an overnight frost with the pop top up
- Although we have no thermal covers there was absolutely no condensation in the van in the morning which was strange, I assume it's something to do with the heater being on?
- The air though with the heater on is very dry and you wake up with a very, very dry throat
- When the pop top is up it's like a tent and everyone can hear you shouting at your kids
- It was freezing but my little girls were fine in the pop top with warm pyjamas and blankets, so we aren't going to bother with the isotop thermal liner
- With a family of 4 packing and unpacking needs to be done in a certain order with car seats and rear bench moved forward done at the very end when packing up, husband put the table in after this with limited space, tripped, fell backwards in the van with table in hand and chipped the van door deep breaths ..deep breaths but that's another thread!
- The manual roof is actually quite hard to get up and down and I would struggle by myself initially but still wouldn't swap it for an electric one though.

View attachment 76872

View attachment 76873

View attachment 76874
Nice setup.

Nice setup.
Thank you, unfortunately we discovered the awning we inherited is designed for a taller motor home but is the perfect floor size, on the look out for a new one now

Last edited:
I also did first trip two nights this week. Yes heating very effective, level 3 just fine, on all night for both nights, couldn't see any effect on fuel levels. My dog loved sleeping by the heater vent. I had a dry run with all the equipment on the drive before setting off. Pop top certainly requires some oomph to hold down closed while locking catches, and I'm pretty big and strong. Catches could be redesigned to make it easier for smaller folk. Outside awning, make sure you engage the leg ends in the white plastic bit securely before trying to wind in. Bed incredibly comfortable VW mat, Dunelm Rebound topper, all inside single duvet cover used as sheet, duvet and pillows from home. All folds up neatly behind seat in daytime. Handbook... yes
... Designed by young Harald and Hilde on a state of the art Amstrad DTP program in 1982, and updated by the same team ever since. On the same equipment. Thank goodness for YouTube, esp Cali Chris. The legal warnings are hilarious. " Do not drive the vehicle into a concrete wall at 130kph, this may cause injury". Only a slight exaggeration. Are Germans more litigious than Americans even. Overall I am delighted with my Cali.

Glad you enjoyed your first camp Ladymuck, you will find what works best for your circumstances and get into a routine when pitching and breaking camp.

Re the pop top being heavy to pull down, we had adjustable gas struts on our manual roof (not a Cali) and had a similar problem which the dealer resolved by letting some gas out of the struts. Not sure if the Cali struts are the same but worth asking your dealer. I wouldn't attempt it myself as if too much gas is released it will hamper the opening operation and as I said not sure how the Cali struts operate and if what we had done can be done in your case.

Sorry for the waffle, didn't want to pass on duff info.

View attachment 76872

View attachment 76873

View attachment 76874
Ref condensation, we are currently in a stable High Pressure weather situation which has dry air, low humidity level. This will account for the low condensation experienced.
It'll be very different during a low pressure wet period.

Ive been wondering how you got on for your first trip away!
My first trip is still a few weeks away so great to hear your tips albeit I will be flying solo!
I find the manual roof stiff but can manage by myself & assume it will get easier in time but would rather not have too much electrical & complicated!
Im going to buy the Isotop but am holding off as still somewhat concerned how it will all fit even with the front section removed!
Sorry to hear about your chip incident too!
You must have had lovely weather though albeit very cold at night - Im going to be taking my thermals in case I have a heating user error failure!

Glad you got out - seeing the Starlight Blue makes me desperate for mine to get here!

Quick q about the heater - I take it there is no thermostat, so you can’t set it to say 16C and it clicks on and off through the night?

Glad you got out - seeing the Starlight Blue makes me desperate for mine to get here!

Quick q about the heater - I take it there is no thermostat, so you can’t set it to say 16C and it clicks on and off through the night?
The ‘numbers’ act in a similar manner. If set on 1 or 2 it will click on and off to maintain the desired temperature. It’s just not measured in degrees C.

Ref condensation, we are currently in a stable High Pressure weather situation which has dry air, low humidity level. This will account for the low condensation experienced.
It'll be very different during a low pressure wet period.
Good point, will see what it's like next time..

Glad you enjoyed your first camp Ladymuck, you will find what works best for your circumstances and get into a routine when pitching and breaking camp.

Re the pop top being heavy to pull down, we had adjustable gas struts on our manual roof (not a Cali) and had a similar problem which the dealer resolved by letting some gas out of the struts. Not sure if the Cali struts are the same but worth asking your dealer. I wouldn't attempt it myself as if too much gas is released it will hamper the opening operation and as I said not sure how the Cali struts operate and if what we had done can be done in your case.

Sorry for the waffle, didn't want to pass on duff info.
Thank you for your reply, I worded my post wrong though sorry, I meant i was struggling doing/undoing the catches in order get the pop top up and down. I agree though the manual action of pushing it up and down does require some strength, pushing it up is a but like weight lifting but I'm a strong lass and 5 foot 9 inches so manage ok but some may struggle

Ive been wondering how you got on for your first trip away!
My first trip is still a few weeks away so great to hear your tips albeit I will be flying solo!
I find the manual roof stiff but can manage by myself & assume it will get easier in time but would rather not have too much electrical & complicated!
Im going to buy the Isotop but am holding off as still somewhat concerned how it will all fit even with the front section removed!
Sorry to hear about your chip incident too!
You must have had lovely weather though albeit very cold at night - Im going to be taking my thermals in case I have a heating user error failure!
Hi Jenny H I found the catches for the roof really stiff and I struggle to undo them but do manage it eventualy, I'm hoping they will loosen up soon. I would say that putting anything in the pop top makes the catches even more difficult to undo, we had a fleecy bottom sheet in there and we then really struggled with undoing the catches, we were actually hanging off the bar to get enough weight to undo them, I guess anything up there will make meeting the catches up and undoing them more difficult so I'd be very wary about an iso top, maybe wait a year to see if they have loosened off a little?

Hi Jenny H I found the catches for the roof really stiff and I struggle to undo them but do manage it eventualy, I'm hoping they will loosen up soon. I would say that putting anything in the pop top makes the catches even more difficult to undo, we had a fleecy bottom sheet in there and we then really struggled with undoing the catches, we were actually hanging off the bar to get enough weight to undo them, I guess anything up there will make meeting the catches up and undoing them more difficult so I'd be very wary about an iso top, maybe wait a year to see if they have loosened off a little?
You can adjust those catches. My ex beach the catches were too loose and I tightened them up. Pop the roof and theres 2 set screws on slots on each catch. Loosen them. Adjust. Tighten. Easy. You dont want them too loose as you need it pulled down tight to seal the front edge of the roof

You can adjust those catches. My ex beach the catches were too loose and I tightened them up. Pop the roof and theres 2 set screws on slots on each catch. Loosen them. Adjust. Tighten. Easy. You dont want them too loose as you need it pulled down tight to seal the front edge of the roof
That's good to know- will look into, thanks

Yes I think I will wait & see thank you

Thank you for your reply, I worded my post wrong though sorry, I meant i was struggling doing/undoing the catches in order get the pop top up and down. I agree though the manual action of pushing it up and down does require some strength, pushing it up is a but like weight lifting but I'm a strong lass and 5 foot 9 inches so manage ok but some may struggle

I am only 5ft tall. I have managed the manual roof OK (standing on a seat helps) but I find the catches take a lot of practice, being short is good here as do not bang my head. The catches seem to have a will of their own and flip over randomly. I also keep popping in and out to make sure the material has not been caught, a lesson learned from damaging the material on my Eriba caravan raising roof. I did leave a site earlier than planned once as strong wind was expected and I did not fancy trying to put the roof down in a gale.

Hi Lady muck,

nice first trip write up.

The catches that secure the roof are extremely stiff when new, they do get easier to operate with use.

you can hasten the loosening process by wiggling the various parts to their full extent Whilst the buckles are undone.

regarding the awning being for a larger van, if you attach the figure of 8 Kador strips to the top edge of the wind out awning you will gain an extra couple of extra inches head height and help tension the connecting canvas. (several threads with photos showing the methodology)

Hi Lady muck,

nice first trip write up.

The catches that secure the roof are extremely stiff when new, they do get easier to operate with use.

you can hasten the loosening process by wiggling the various parts to their full extent Whilst the buckles are undone.

regarding the awning being for a larger van, if you attach the figure of 8 Kador strips to the top edge of the wind out awning you will gain an extra couple of extra inches head height and help tension the connecting canvas. (several threads with photos showing the methodology)
That interesting about the awning, will take a look at the threads, i don't think a couple of inches though will be enough

20210416_082229.jpg