Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First impressions

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Well we've had the Cali just over a day now. I drove 350 miles home then spent the day out with the kids (1 and 3) today.

It's a manual 180 4Motion.

Firstly - great to drive! Really nicely put together, very "solid" the 180 engine definitely moves it along very well, it handles surprisingly well, brakes are strong and it's very easy to drive.

It's full of surprises - so many great little touches that make me smile. VW really have thought about the design very hard and come up with a cracking product.

Visibility is very good with the lofty driving position - feels higher than our previous Defender! It has a decent turning circle and is easy to move around in a near car like manner.

A few little bits are "interesting" - the shelving covering the gas bottle looks like a few offcuts from a plastic box, the glovebox looks rather cheap inside (why not rubber line it) and unless I'm being silly, where are the cupholders?!! I also found the front curtain arrangement rather funny - not tested it yet but the demo was rather "apologetic!"

So only driven it and scratched the surface of it's cambering abilities - we'll probably do a trip this weekend. The bits we have used have been great - the heater, the roof, the sliding table and the rotating front chairs.

Bought a gas bottle (first one so about £80 - yikes!) and a 25m hook up cable (£38!) but possibly after a few other items if anyone can recommend?

1)Can you get a fitted rear load liner? That's where the dog will go and we'd rather keep it tidy!
2) Any way of protecting the middle carpet bit between the front seats? We have rubber foot mats but the light grey carpet between them looks vulnerable!

Ours has a few extras and I think they're all very worthwhile - the Kenwood multimedia system is excellent. Great SatNav, really good stereo sounds, syncs to mobiles, etc. Climate is very nice indeed, the privacy glass is great, the seats covers look useful, the cruise is great, the MF steering wheel is handy, the Vis pack B came in handy on the 350 mile wet drive home last night, the mud flaps work, the rear bumper cover is essential with a dog and probably some other bits I've forgotten!

It feels very special too - sure it lists at over £50k with options but what does that get you these days? Fairly average "premium" SUV? A big engined saloon? Nothing much really. This looks and feels fantastic!

Overall, very pleased indeed!!!

P1010731.jpg

P1010732.jpg

Van looks smart mate. Congrats. I see maddy is keeping a close eye on it.
I bought a front mat from mega van mats it covers the whole of the front including the bit inbetween the seats
By the way the cup holders are each side of the ashtray that pulls out.
Hope this helps.

Nice looking Cali, I do like that grey, congratulations.

Have to agree the standard front window blinds are 'interesting' I bought a Taylormade screen cover which is great, no condensation.
Cup holders are in the 'ash tray'
Also agree Vis pack B is handy, had it on my Astra & is not on my Cali & realy miss it.

Does the MF steering wheel work with the Kenwood system ? They told me not where I bought my Cali so I went for the VW RNS510 & bluetooth which I'm pleased with.

Kev and Andy - oops! I didn't know that! was trying to balance a nice flat white from Costa in the side pocket!

The MF steering wheel seems to control most bits - it skips tracks/radio stations, controls the volume, etc. Not tried all functions yet but so far so good. My android phone synchs fine but I think you need an i-phone for full address book access. The satnav is excellent; always been a bit anti satnav but this has converted me!

It got pretty mucky on the way back so it's been pressure washed, (and snow foamed) and dried off. Wheels have been cleaned and "sealed" and I'll polish it all when I have the chance. There sure is a LOT of bodywork to clean!!

The satnav is excellent
It uses Garmin satnav system so it should be very good.
Have always used Garmin, their after sales support is excellent can talk to a techie on the phone about problems. Try doing that with the other popular satnav manufacturer !

There sure is a LOT of bodywork to clean!!

Yep, washing drying & polishing is an all day job ! Need step ladder to get to the roof !
What snow foam do you use ?
I have some ph neutral foam (does not remove wax) but it is not very effective at getting dirt off.

KernowLad said:
A few little bits are "interesting" - the shelving covering the gas bottle looks like a few offcuts from a plastic box,
They are actually made of aluminium underneath the protective plastic film that is applied to stop them being scratched before purchase ;)

Chris

california180 said:
KernowLad said:
A few little bits are "interesting" - the shelving covering the gas bottle looks like a few offcuts from a plastic box,
They are actually made of aluminium underneath the protective plastic film that is applied to stop them being scratched before purchase ;)

Chris

So you can take it off?! I'm SUCH a spanner!! :oops: :oops: :lol:

Andy - I use the Autobrite stuff with an Autobrite heavy duty foam lance and a Nilfisk E140 pressure washer. Seems to work pretty well. Also use a wash mitt, two bucket method and about 20 MF cloths!! I'll give it a polish with Zaino Z5 Pro at some stage but it'll take yonks!

Did the wheels with Biberry cleaner then Planet Polish Wheel Seal and Shine - a brilliant product that I'd recommend to anyone that wants their wheels to be easy to clean.

Sorry - my OCD side showing a little there!

Cheers for advice folks - totally invaluable for a newbie like me!

YIKES!!! Second day in and the Mrs drove us home from the beach (she's a decent driver - usually). We have a VERY steep drive on a sharp bend that needs taking very wide. In the Landy you could get away with taking it tight (the tighter you take it, the sharper the ramp angle) because it was so high off the ground and the BM is fine because it has a tiny turning circle. Wife took it too sharply and got wedged between it and a dry stone wall! Much swearing, fretting and unloading of all weight later and we gradually eased it out. No damage (save a tiny scrape on wheel cover fitting and tow bar), a near heart attack and lessons learned. I seriously thought our new van was about to be trashed...

PHEW!!!

Brilliant surf wagon though. Fun waves too!

LickeyEndBlues said:
I feel giddy just reading that!

Have you got yours? Can't wait to see pics!

Two more of ours inside - we got seat covers fitted but not to the drivers seat (will fit shortly) - didn't want to get sweaty on the way home.

Two kiddy seats installed in the other pic.

P1010733.jpg

P1010734.jpg

The multi function wheel won't allow you to answer a phone call from the steering wheel, but you can switch modes, skip tracks, change radio stations etc...I have the Kenwood in my Caddy demo and think it is really quite good.

Cali looks nice too!

Enjoy

johntowers46 said:
Hi Kernow lad,
nice looking front seat covers, where did you get them from??

They're listed in the VW Cali brochure as an extra - I got them thrown in FOC (and some other bits) and they fitted all but the drivers seat one too - highly recommended! They are labelled "Volkswagen Commercial" so I think they are a fairly generic item?

johntowers46 said:
Hi Kernow lad,
nice looking front seat covers, where did you get them from??

You could give Steve in our parts department a call or drop him a PM to get a quote for the forum price for them? Last set we did on here we sent to Reading so would be able to do the same for you.

cheers

They listed at just under £180 I think?

Off the top of my head I don't know. If you PM me a contact number I can get Steve to call you to discuss?

Hi check out this link for covers for the rear bench mattress, this is a vital bit of kit to keep the mattress clean. They also do covers for the 2 roof mattresses. They are made by INKA who are part of Auto-Kit who also make the VW branded seat covers. The fabric is waterproof and just a slightly darker grey than the VW branded ones. They also do covers for the front seats and bench though not currently shown on ebay.
They have contact tel number 01509 611068. I spoke with a member of staff called Sunni who was very helpful with any queries I had.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Inka-Automotiv ... 34.c0.m322

Back