Votes: 65 21.6%
  • 40-42 MPG

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 42+ MPG

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters
Hi Teeboy,
I went to school at Kettering so must (may ) have learnt something :goodone

After 1300 miles only obc is showing 35mpg. Mainly long journeys on cruise control.
Just drove back from Sussex, 5 hours, only 10 minute stop in the middle. Never felt as fresh after a long journey.

I wonder how much difference to mpg the coast function makes?

I "ran in" my 180 manual at Christmas going down to Spain and the back up along the west coast of France covering 3200 miles in all. On the way there it was very tight and driving it fairly hard only averaged 28mpg into some very strong winds. I could feel it loosening up every mile and taking my time back up through France we were then seeing 42mpg average, I was trying though!

We spent this weekend in Norfolk and got 40mpg average.That figure was achieved by driving more or less at the speed limits where possible. I'm pleased with that as these California's are quite heavy. It now has 3700 miles on it and seems to be loosening further.

I also have a chipped 174 T5 which is more powerful and has far more torque but is nowhere near as good on fuel.

Extra performance can only come from burning for fuel I suppose.

On all my long runs I'm fairly consistent with around 41 to 43+mpg. That's a mix of town and very rural country driving, plus I drive to the speed limit, as much as possible.
Isn't the 140 supposed to be more economical than the 180??
So far, I'm delighted with the mpg and hope to improve on this as the engine becomes more efficient---it's still very new.

2000 mile round trip to europe fully loaded: 28.5 mpg
12000 mile 4 - motion 2011

We can all get good mpg if we do the sums on a 3000 mile trip in europe, or 200 mile trip up the motorway. Of more interest should be the overall mpg since new.

I did 35 mpg on 3500 trip in europe. But my overall, 26000 miles, mpg is 26.7. This is due to short 6 mile commute with 11 roundabouts & dual carriageway.

46.5 mpg on a round trip Preston - Nottingham - mainly motorway - decent traffic.
Long term average now at 42 mpg.
Figures from DIS but verified (as far as possible to tell) with a couple of full tank fills.

How?
Short journeys virtually never.
Side awning removed - I don't use it.
Average speed of 60 to 65 mph on motorways.
Avoid the middle pedal.

I've used FuelLog on my phone since collecting new, coming up to 13000 miles now since Dec'13 and I'm generally getting around 38+mpg full tank to full tank and slowly improving over time/mileage. Put my caravan on the back and I'm knocked back to around 31/32 mpg. It is only a small 1000 kg caravan. Don't look at the computer because I don't believe they are that accurate. Full tank to full tank is accurate.
I accept I'm only driving a lowly 140 manual but it comfortably does everything I ask of it and I have to remind mtself I have a caravan on the back when towing.

Long term average was 28mog when I last looked. These darn hills are a real fuel basher.

Whilst away in the summer (so mostly doing long journeys at 90kph) we were averaging 30mpg. Around here in Cornwall doing surf checks etc we generally get 25 or so. This is an old 92 plate T4 hightop and I'm generally in a rush as late to pick the kids up from school or to get swimming, so not too bad really lol
:)

I have a 2013 Cali Beach 140 with just over 10k now on the clock.
I get 33 to 41mpg. I get the high figures by careful driving but I only go below 33 down to 31mpg if I drive aggressively.
I have driven uo the A3 to Marleybone Road many times in the last year. I do 70 on dual carriageways and motorways all the time except when conditions mean I have to travel slower.
The economy is good and better than my 2 litre 2007 Ford SMAX so I have no complaints.

George

The VW two loaners we've had for weeks and weeks both did around 50mpg. It'll be a shock going back to sub 30 again… :eek: However the van is 1253453256 times more interesting than any dull diesel rep box so sort of worth it.

Our car is now our economical run about (3.0 turbo 6 cylinder petrol…) again :lol:

Bristol to Athens and return gave: Total miles 3948 Overall fuel consumption = 37.76 mpg Average speed = 48.27 mph
Beach 2012, 140
That's having removed a lot of heavy items: two seater folding bed, roof mattress, side storage cabinet and so on and replaced with diy timber frame bed base and foam mattress to make kingsize bed for a decent kip. Use camping experience to have minimal kit and as low weight as possible.

It depends on the diesel grade. Pay a little more for the higher spec fuel and see a noticeable improvement. Supermarket fuel is often measurably less efficient than mainstream fuel, Shell, Esso etc. Oh, and don't be fooled by the trip computer, they overread by approx 10%. Run a full tank brim full to brim full and calculate manually. Also try to empty as much stuff out of the van as you can, especially water and waste water. Hope that helps.

Our first year with our 140 Auto has returned a running average of 37.9 MPG over 9k miles. Our mileage is mainly long runs and I don't speed because we're retired.

Thought I'd throw in my twopenneth.
I used to be fanatical about mpg, however, now I just motor along with a grin on my face.
I changed from supermarket diesel to Shell and felt a big improvement in performance. Usually use Shell standard diesel but every now and again I put in their super V power diesel.
I more or less keep my eye on the trip meter(reset at each fill up) and the predicted range. So long as these add up to above 500miles for normal running around I'm happy. I expect this sum to be above 600 on longer trips. However, on one trip down to the Dordogne it went up to 730 miles. I also think it can be down to the road surface, types of asphalt, size of clippings etc.
Have Fun

A bit of a bump of an old thread this, but I've been away.
Absolute mpg figures are difficult to work out as precise fuel measurements are difficult and there are inbuilt inaccuracies in mileometers (remember speed dials under read slightly -different tyre sizes, manufacturer not wanting to be sued when you are caught speeding). Whats more interesting is the relative mpg. I track my mpg so I can see when any variations start to creep in - this can suggest a whole range of things from fuel leaks, stuck EGR valves, wheel tracking out etc. So if your mpg suddenly drops for a reason check it out!

As for the claims of the fuel manufacturers these should treated with as much caution as vehicle manufacturer mpg figures - carefully. As vehicle manufacturers have raised the mpgs of cars by reducing weight (removal of real spare wheels is one way), carefully looking at test wording for get outs, so fuel manufacturers can do the same. Under laboratory type conditions the improvements in mpg are possible - but in the real world traffic and driving style as well as load, vehicle condition are all more significant. The British magazine Which? (Consumers Association) found the claims for improved mpg unlikely to be achieved in the real world.

However, that is not to say these fuels aren't worth using - but that depends on how you use your vehicle. Diesels with all the anti pollution gear fitted like DPFs need long runs for them to work properly - or else you get DPF failures, stuck EGR valves etc. So using the fuel giants fuels with all the cleaning additives may be helpful.

On the other hand I regularly do 100 miles a day on motorways at speed and I nearly only ever use Asda's finest. With 87000 miles on the clock on my car I have had no issues. I have also driven a Landrover throughout the Northern Sahara and Morocco where fuel quality was..interesting (it was watered down - heavily). This was fine but the moment I hit France I went round to the local Shell or BP station (I forget which) and filled up with the premium diesel product to clean out the rubbish in the fuel system. I know of one case where an LR driver filled up on cheap Libyan diesel many years ago (15p a litre!) and was somewhat surprised when it froze solid when he hit the mountains of Italy in winter!

So what do I do? Once every so often I give my 87000 mile cars treat - a tank full of premium diesel from one of the fuel majors. No difference in mpg at 80mph, but I hope its cleaning out the rubbish from the fuel system!

As for my VW camper - Asda's finest! But its less than a year old and only does BIG runs!

Vans now over 20,000 and fuel has improved,or my driving has slowed!!

Early days a tank would give me 450miles,now on a run will see 600,using it for daily trips will hit 520 to refill light in the UK.
Im running the 2.0 140.I sit on cruise at a tad over 70 and it coasts along lovely,when I hit Europe I go to 80 and will still come in at 550 on a run.

What more could you ask for....Does anyone else feel like a tortoise,not because of speed but carrying our homes with us everywhere we go....Its great!

I'm down your way soon for a coastal tour of Cornwall. Starting somewhere on the Lizard. I am expecting the county to be deserted and plenty of free overnight camping. Am I just dreaming.
rob

robo said:
I'm down your way soon for a coastal tour of Cornwall. Starting somewhere on the Lizard. I am expecting the county to be deserted and plenty of free overnight camping. Am I just dreaming.
rob

Not at all; it's lovely and quiet and the surf has been excellent.
Chilly though!

The MPG seems to be quite all over the place for me .... one minute i get 20's then i can get 30's ....i think it fuel quality , weather as well as driving style and road conditions ...
overall not to bad for a heavy van i suppose...

The good news is this year fuel prices have gradually come down a bit. :thumb

Diesel prices.JPG