Votes: 80 26.6%
  • 37-39 MPG

Votes: 65 21.6%
  • 40-42 MPG

Votes: 15 5.0%
  • 42+ MPG

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters
In my wildest dreams I've never got close to that!
And I just can't do 60 on the motorway no matter how hard I try lol.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

stephen said:
long stretches of downhill inclines, I do take advantage of 'coasting' when ever possible,

which some people would probably frowned upon, but I feel I'm still in control, and feel safe doing it. which improves the fuel consumption no end

Safety issues aside, you'll get better economy if you come off the gas, but let the engine run in gear (although this slows you quicker). When coasting (clutch in) the engine is ticking over and sucking in fuel, however with modern electronically injected cars, the engine takes in no fuel at all, whilst the wheels are turning the engine.

Just accidentally put the computer into long term average mode (2) and over the last 850 miles, we have averaged 23.6mpg. Weep weep.

KernowLad said:
Just accidentally put the computer into long term average mode (2) and over the last 850 miles, we have averaged 23.6mpg. Weep weep.

I do that every tank of fuel and average about 36 - 37 - it's never going to give you figures to put a smile on your face.

All this I got 50 plus etc - that's clearly done on a certain road at a certain speed etc etc lol

I can sit on the M5 and reset the trip and for 49 for 10 miles lol

James

James said:
KernowLad said:

I do that every tank of fuel and average about 36 - 37 - it's never going to give you figures to put a smile on your face.

All this I got 50 plus etc - that's clearly done on a certain road at a certain speed etc etc lol

James

I'm usually in denial as it's always bad but I was hoping it had edged nearer 30. Darn hills, corners, etc around here! TBH it's not had a properly long run in ages which doesn't help. The car is out of action so it's off to Taunton and back tomorrow. And twice next week!

KernowLad said:
James said:
KernowLad said:

James

I'm usually in denial as it's always bad but I was hoping it had edged nearer 30. Darn hills, corners, etc around here! TBH it's not had a properly long run in ages which doesn't help. The car is out of action so it's off to Taunton and back tomorrow. And twice next week!

On a run mine will nudge near 40 but it always works about the same - I also look out how many miles I get out of each tank - when I have driven back to Essex or had a number of long runs and the MPG has risen - I've seen 650 miles out of a tank.

James

mines a 140 manual box and i get mid 30`s to low forties, even when dragging a full water tank around. If you`re only getting 19mpg something is wrong or you`re hammering the accelerator!

23mpg to Exeter but I was going for it. 26 coming back. Wife just did Taunton and back very gently and got 33. It's above 75 that it all goes to pot! Taken me a while to work that out!

I read this thread and as a result was wondering about whether I should acquire some anti-depressants. Figures in the 20's on a modern diesel engine a generation forward from the old PD 1.9 tDi cant really be stuck with such grim economy can they?
Well, I am the lucky owner of a 140 BMT Cali with just 400 miles on the clock and I just did a run of about 80 mile round trip. The conditions were good (little traffic , no wind) and the driving was mixed but mainly M6. So making a point of driving economically, but without labouring a tight new engine, I get a return ( -via the DIS) of 41 mpg. I was making a little more of an effort than I might normally but didn't inconvenience any other driver.
And I would expect that to improve in a few thousand miles too as the engine beds in.
I will do a brim-to-brim check sometime in the not too distant future but expect similar figure.
Hows it done? Anticipation, avoid the brake pedal and back off the throttle well in advance of slowing down. Takes a little practice and appreciate not everyone wants to drive like that but a relief the newer engine isn't a backward step in mpg.

Just done 320 miles Glasgow to Boston mainly motorwa light traffic nearly all on cruise control + 80 = 28 mpg by computer.

The return journey @70mph cruise control = 35.5 mpg.

Al down to speed!

BUMP TIME
till now have 37.3 seems to be a consistent figure
but today had to crawl at 50 on M5 for 16 miles
today I got 44.1 mpg over 210 miles trip M69/M42/M5/M50 (and windy lanes)
oh and nice picnic at Goodrich Castle in Forest of Dean as well!

David Eccles said:
BUMP TIME
till now have 37.3 seems to be a consistent figure
but today had to crawl at 50 on M5 for 16 miles
today I got 44.1 mpg over 210 miles trip M69/M42/M5/M50 (and windy lanes)
oh and nice picnic at Goodrich Castle in Forest of Dean as well!

That's exactly what I find - about 37mpg average but can get into the low-mid 40's if I go slower.

Well with the way we drive and the terrain we live in, our Cali is definitely a thirsty beast. :shocked We've managed low 30s before but that's absolutely crawling along.

When a 320bhp turbocharged 3.0 petrol is your "economical" vehicle, you know the other one likes a drink! Mind you its also handy not having EGR valves, DPFs, DMFs, etc, etc to kill when doing short journeys like any modern diesel has. The car has much lower emissions than the Cali too!

I'd be gobsmacked if I ever saw close to 40 in ours; I've given up trying to be economical in it and just drive it briskly; I quite enjoy the slightly rolly ride with great visibility over Cornish hedges!

Just home after doing a 1400 approx. mile round trip from Moray, Scotland to Gloucestershire. For curiosity checked and found Mode 1 showing 40.4 and Mode 2 showing 44.6. :D Hadn't checked either of these before. I try to drive progressively but do not exert too heavy a right foot which seems to help. Mixture of driving conditions including school runs with the grand children twice a day for two weeks, motorway driving including those prolonged road works sections and the ever frustrating A9. :x
Can't grumble about my Cali's fuel consumption so far.

I took my 180 manual down to Spain at Christmas with just 350 miles on the clock.
On the way down there it was quite poor (mid 20's) but we seemed to be into a headwind all the way down through France.
On the way home it was averaging 42mpg at 65mph which I'm pleased with. It now has 3500 miles on it and seems to get better all the time.
I also have a 174 T5 van and that didn't loosen up until 30,000+ miles so maybe that these low revving diesels just take time to bed in and loosen up.

Just a thought,
Mike.

California is my daily transport it may not be relevant to you as ours is the 140 ps manual, the conditions are mixed, Town and A roads, presently we have only covered 1000 miles, its averaging low 31 mpg and max 42 mpg. :bananadance

We're thinking of getting another Defender (90 this time); just so the Cali seems good on fuel ;)

Hi, my 2010 180 bhp tdi 7 speed dsg with 20k on the clock returns a consistent 39mpg and that's easy going using cruise control where possible ;-)

I'm getting anywhere between 35 and 42 according to the MFD but I'm sure those figures are incorrect I'll try working it out the old way when we're on holiday in a couple of weeks and will let you know then

Alasdair

Sorry, 39mpg?????

Set the DIS to 2

Fill up, set the trip to 0 - reset the MPG.

Drive round using that tank of diesel, mixed driving, then, at the end tell me what MPG you have and how many miles you have had out of the tank.

James

James said:
Sorry, 39mpg?????

Set the DIS to 2

Drive round using that tank of diesel, mixed driving, then, at the end tell me what MPG you have and how many miles you have had out of the tank.

James

This is how I always work out my MPG, never trust the OBC

blacks954 said:
James said:
Sorry, 39mpg?????

Set the DIS to 2

James

This is how I always work out my MPG, never trust the OBC

I do it this way & OBC is fairly accurate. The more miles you do this way the more accurate it will be.

Four motion 180 from new. March 2013
33.4 mpg There was the £30 of fuel that was put in by the dealer ( so they said )
For the next 9000 miles all paid for by card and receipts kept in folder and totaled up , Must admit not very much town driving i:e Milton Keynes roundabouts. Some too fast driving though ??? ;)
Now I can't be bothered to worry about it. :cool

timber said:
Four motion 180 from new. March 2013
33.4 mpg There was the £30 of fuel that was put in by the dealer ( so they said )
For the next 9000 miles all paid for by card and receipts kept in folder and totaled up , Must admit not very much town driving i:e Milton Keynes roundabouts. Some too fast driving though ??? ;)
Now I can't be bothered to worry about it. :cool

Now that is how you work out MPG.

Don't mess around with the computer, don't do one fill up max to max. Do a 9000 mile average :clap

I have done a similar thing with a 180 DSG Jan 2012. 10,000 miles, of which 8491 were done by us. 1308 Litres, gives an average of 31.27mpg.

We get into the 33's when we are on holiday, but when we are at home it gets used for little short journeys so we can get as low as 26mpg for a tank :eek:

So overall pretty happy with over 31 over the first 10k miles.

T