Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First night away and our fridge froze all our food!

C

CaliKate

Guest User
We're back! And boy was that fun. I now know how to drive, set up and put away a VW California. But one thing we did wrong – we put our fridge setting to '3' and the stuff at the bottom, including the milk, froze! Help! What are we doing wrong?

I get away with setting 3 but there is icing on the side of the fridge. Just try turning it down.

We're back! And boy was that fun. I now know how to drive, set up and put away a VW California. But one thing we did wrong – we put our fridge setting to '3' and the stuff at the bottom, including the milk, froze! Help! What are we doing wrong?
I put ours on 5 when plugged into the EHU in the garage before we load for a trip, then once down to a cool temp, we put frozen stuff from the house freezer at the bottom and back, milk upright then load around it. I then reduce the setting to 3/4 depends on the outside temperature. Don't forget when the fridge is not in use and switched off to leave the lid slightly open.

Thanks to you both for the tips! I'm cleaning my van for the first time and feeling quite excited about it. Going to try and perfect where things go. I can't believe it's ours! Thanks again

Thanks to you both for the tips! I'm cleaning my van for the first time and feeling quite excited about it. Going to try and perfect where things go. I can't believe it's ours! Thanks again
You will get into a routine re storage, but it evolves over time I have a rack in my workshop with different things stored for different types of trip. A bit like pods on Thunderbirds :). You will take different stuff and store in different places within the van, dependent on where and when to you go or at least we do.

Above all enjoy your bus.

I love it! It was what I always loved about camping in a tent. Having the optimum setup and being as minimalist as possible. I've realised we took too much stuff last night and can slim down when I go again on my own tomorrow. Thanks again

We found that the provided fridge rack insert took up too much space, so removed it.

We also have had food freeze from having used too high a setting.

We now use a square cool bag that fits snuggly inside the fridge. We use ice blocks when first placed inside the fridge. Perishable items stay inside the cool bag, whilst frozen items are packed around the outside of the bag. This works for us.

I guess try different things and settings and find what will work for you.

We found that the provided fridge rack insert took up too much space, so removed it.

We also have had food freeze from having used too high a setting.

We now use a square cool bag that fits snuggly inside the fridge. We use ice blocks when first placed inside the fridge. Perishable items stay inside the cool bag, whilst frozen items are packed around the outside of the bag. This works for us.

I guess try different things and settings and find what will work for you.

That's a great shout. I'll look into getting a cool bag then and try and keep it on a lower setting! Thank you!

Back