Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Issues - New Ocean

lm0276

K&L
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I see there are a number of threads re fridge problems, but I’m not sure if this is the same or different so apologies for the new thread.

We had our first trip away in our new Ocean last weekend and noticed a number of fridge issues;

1. Even set on level 1, the fridge froze our milk, juice, beer, bacon and pretty much anything else in there, regardless if it was in the back wall, front wall or in the basket.

2. on returning home last night, we set the fridge to ‘off’, yet it did not turn off. we tried the top right button and the menu, yet it stayed on. In the end, we pressed the bottom left I/0 button and it went off.

3. today, we tried to test whether or not we could chill something without freezing it, but now the fridge won’t turn on. Again we’ve tried the top right button and the menu, but as the photo shows, despite the orange light being on, there’s no draw on the batteries

728DAA21-5DDF-41E4-9839-612D98C605FF.jpeg

Unless we’re being dumb, we’re thinking this needs a visit to the dealership to sort... unless we’re being dumb

Reactions: Vee
Sure there's something wrong there , thermostat problem maybe?
Get it in at your dealer.
You could try a reset of the control panel but unlikely it would help imo.

There are some other threads on this. I can't give you the full technical answer but it sounds like VW mis-wired a batch of fridges and the thermostat is not wired in. Back to VW I'm afraid.

Hope you're enjoying it otherwise... nice colour!

Looks like "a lot" of T6's have this problem. Or maybe not a lot, but all with the same symptoms are T6 fridges.
Knock on wood, mine still does the job flawlessly.

Didn't really follow up the other thread(s) about this problem. Was there a decent solution?

I see there are a number of threads re fridge problems, but I’m not sure if this is the same or different so apologies for the new thread.

We had our first trip away in our new Ocean last weekend and noticed a number of fridge issues;

1. Even set on level 1, the fridge froze our milk, juice, beer, bacon and pretty much anything else in there, regardless if it was in the back wall, front wall or in the basket.

2. on returning home last night, we set the fridge to ‘off’, yet it did not turn off. we tried the top right button and the menu, yet it stayed on. In the end, we pressed the bottom left I/0 button and it went off.

3. today, we tried to test whether or not we could chill something without freezing it, but now the fridge won’t turn on. Again we’ve tried the top right button and the menu, but as the photo shows, despite the orange light being on, there’s no draw on the batteries

View attachment 51492

Unless we’re being dumb, we’re thinking this needs a visit to the dealership to sort... unless we’re being dumb
There will be No Current draw if the Fridge Compressor is not working either due to a fault or if the thermostat says the fridge is cold enough already and that could be due to a failed thermostat.
Either way, under warranty so a trip to the Dealership I’m afraid.

I had similar problems in my new cali back in late June. Several trips back to dealer and faulty fridge control unit was the diagnosis (with help from VW Guru). Also a related relay was replaced. Both replaced under warranty. All now working as it should.
Don't worry - no need to remove fridge or kitchen!
Have been a batch of Calis with this problem of late.You just happen to be the latest.

View attachment 51492

You have company in your misery. Your problem sounds identical to ours so no you are not being dumb. We are waiting for a new fridge to be installed which we hope will fix the problem. Some have had the control panel replaced and some relay(or something like that. Please excuse me...VW tech is not my first language!). @CaliKate had a very similar issue but not sure what her resolution was. In short take it back to the dealer for fixing. If they don’t have a clue get them to call California Chris at Liverpool as he helped our VW dealer in Peterborough.Good luck.

Freezing against the back can be a problem even when working correctly. We've used a sheet of plastic from DIY store to help alleviate this problem. You possibly could use a plastic sheeting I like an estate agents board, but this may be a bit too thick to go behind the basket.

20191015_124249.jpg

Someone once told me that buying a - last model -vehicle can be a good
thing as all the problems have been worked out.

It seems VW have never heard of this and are now making problems where
there weren't any before.

I think VW are p----- poor at listening and learning. When I think of how much input we put in with our meetings with VW years ago in the early days of "roof corrosion gate" and how long it has taken to instigate remedies, some of which are still causing problems, like the rusting steel in the rubber seal.

They just think they know it better, so they listen, and go like: "... Whatever ...".
Just when they are getting too much complaints, directly to them, or through whatever channel, they might deeply investigate.
Only with fire or death possibilities, they will send out a recall in the shortest time possible.
All the rest, nope, never heard of.

You have company in your misery. Your problem sounds identical to ours so no you are not being dumb. We are waiting for a new fridge to be installed which we hope will fix the problem. Some have had the control panel replaced and some relay(or something like that. Please excuse me...VW tech is not my first language!). @CaliKate had a very similar issue but not sure what her resolution was. In short take it back to the dealer for fixing. If they don’t have a clue get them to call California Chris at Liverpool as he helped our VW dealer in Peterborough.Good luck.

Hi there! Well, the van went in for a check. They initially replaced the sensor/thermometer but that didn’t work and we ended up with a brand new fridge!? We didn’t have to wait long. It was sorted within three weeks. Hope you get sorted, too!

Freezing against the back can be a problem even when working correctly. We've used a sheet of plastic from DIY store to help alleviate this problem. You possibly could use a plastic sheeting I like an estate agents board, but this may be a bit too thick to go behind the basket.

View attachment 51515
When our fridge was broken, it was creating a half inch layer of solid ice at the back on level two!! Apparently it just was on the highest setting constantly even though we put it on one or two. It’s fixed now thank goodness

New fridge fitted by the Peterborough VW dealership and looks like they have come up trumps and all is working as expected. :D

Update: VW picked up the van 23/10, they eventually narrowed the issue down to a sensor on the fridge, or the fridge itself.

they ripped out everything apparently to get to the sensor, replaced it and put everything back together... the sensor didn’t fix it.

they’re now going to rip everything out again and replace the fridge... fingers crossed that’s the end of it and they put everything back properly so it doesn’t rattle.

maybe I’m being a bit critical, but I kind of expected more from a +£60k vehicle