Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Oil Change

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
First Oil Change

We have just finished a long trip and done almost 6000miles in total. So took a look at the dipstick and checked the oil level. It was about a third up between Min and Max so ok. Dealer gave me some oil when purchasing the Cali so popped in 500ml to keep it topped up.
The oil looked quite grubby to me and I have a habit of at least changing the oil once a year in my other vehicles.
I checked my Service book and my Cali has a Q18 rating which is rated as
Acc. to flexible service interval display (after 2years at the latest)
and according to the Service Schedule book. The Cali will tell you via the instrument cluster when a service is required.

As the oil looked grubby I am wondering if I should be leaving it for up to 2 years.
So my question for all those on Flexible Service eg. when the Cali tells you via the instrument cluster.

At what mileage or time period did your first Service or Oil change warning pop up?

I think I would be worried leaving it for over even 12 months.

Modern cars can do many km/miles before oilchange .
But i also am keen on at least every two years change if distance is not reached
Specialy on brand new vehicle.

Modern cars can do many km/miles before oilchange .
But i also am keen on at least every two years change if distance is not reached
Specialy on brand new vehicle.
Yes that what I was thinking.
Brand new vehicle I would have thought the first oil change would be sooner and thereafter at longer intervals, depending of course on mileage and conditions.

The oil in a diesel engine always looks black much quicker than in a petrol engine.

Alan

Flexible or long life service interval is 2 years or around 20000 miles. Modern manufacturing tolerances and materials mean much less initial wear of the engine when new, and coupled with advanced fully synthetic oils remove the need for the initial oil change.

The oil in a diesel engine always looks black much quicker than in a petrol engine.

Alan
ahhhh thanks, I have never had a diesel before and the oil looks as black as.

Still wondering at what period/kms other Cali owners service reminder popped up on the display though.

You can have your service display adjusted to yealy reminders if you decide 2years-20000miles is too long a period to go between oil changes

I always change the oil on new vehicles after about 10k miles and then every 12 months. This is the running in period when the engine gets "bedded in" leaving small metal particles in the oil.
If you are not intending keeping the vehicle for along period probably doesn't matter but for a long term investment I think it pays off.

I always change the oil on new vehicles after about 10k miles and then every 12 months. This is the running in period when the engine gets "bedded in" leaving small metal particles in the oil.
If you are not intending keeping the vehicle for along period probably doesn't matter but for a long term investment I think it pays off.
Yes I hope to keep the vehicle for a while and so will be keen to change the oil.

Questions, Anyone had an oil sample report on an ESP Full synthetic for example Castrol Edge in these engines after ... 12 months say 15,000 miles, or after 2 years say 20 / 25,000 miles? what does it indicate ? is the oil still good for further extension of service ? anyone know if the oil filter manufacturer warrants their filter for this engine beyond 12 months or say 15,000 miles ? average as best there can be an average uk driving .

Rob H.

My question hasn't quite posted in its entirety, so will have another go ...

Questions, Anyone had an oil sample report on an ESP full synthetic engine oil, for example Castrol Edge ESP could just as well be Mobil 1 ESP, in these T5.1 engines after ... 12 months say 15,000 miles, or after 2 years say 20 / 25,000 miles? what does it indicate ? is the oil still providing adequate protection or good for further extension of service ? anyone know if the oil filter manufacturer/s warrant their oil filter 'in service useful life' for these engine beyond a set length of time or a set mileage ... 12 months or say 15,000 miles ? Vehicle engaged in .... How long is a piece of ..... average, as best there can be average, UK driving.

Rob H.

Nordkapp and back covers almost the half of that....:D
Yes. I'm keeping it on Long Life Service as next year we are doing Italy and France, and with some of the other trips planned in the UK I will be close to 20,000 next year, come December, so fits in well.:thumb

For the sake of £30 and an hour in the garage, change it when you want. It's not exactly difficult.

I change my oil every 12 months.
Me too. Very easy. All you need is a 32mm socket to remove the filter cover and a 12v pump to take the oil out of the dipstick shaft. No need to mess about getting mucky underneath the van.