Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Service required after only 9000 miles

My oil service came on today at 11,900 miles contacted my local dealer who then told me that he could do the oil change in with the service which is not for another two months but he will do them both now as it is best to have the oil changed and he would reset everything and use one of my services for both.

Mine came on at 8000 miles ( 9 months from new ) and as I was going to Europe I had the first service at VW for £230 and feel much better about the trip now. :bananadance2

Resurrecting an old thread! My oil service indicator has come on at just over 8000 miles (10 months old), I rang the van centre who asked if I had added oil, I said no and the level was the 1st thing I checked once seeing the indicator. They said that someone had added the wrong code at the factory and that it should be set to 20,000 miles or 2 years and that the sensor can get tripped by adding oil. They advised me to ignore the warning for 14 months or to bring it in for a reset. Thought it was worth passing the information on incase anyone else gets the issue.

Resurrecting an old thread! My oil service indicator has come on at just over 8000 miles (10 months old), I rang the van centre who asked if I had added oil, I said no and the level was the 1st thing I checked once seeing the indicator. They said that someone had added the wrong code at the factory and that it should be set to 20,000 miles or 2 years and that the sensor can get tripped by adding oil. They advised me to ignore the warning for 14 months or to bring it in for a reset. Thought it was worth passing the information on incase anyone else gets the issue.
It all depends on if you Intend keeping the van for many years if not long life service why not,but for me 20k miles on a brand new engine is to much just had my oil service at 6800 miles one year old.Max I would go is 12k or 12 month but I intend to keep the van for many years.

There is only one word for that explanation “ bollocks “.

I had a similar problem. My service book shows I am on the long life service plan yet around one year from new I had the oil inspection service light pop up. I decided it was a good thing to have the oil changed after a year on a new engine rather than wait two years So I had the oil service done. The next service ( the full service) was on it’s third birthdate. Though at two years I had the problem arise that the service indicator popped up again suggesting it need servicing so I took it to the local dealer and they reset the indicator for me. The guy at the dealership did try and explain why I had the issue but I didn’t grasp the explanation.

7500 miles when first message came up but do annual oil changes regardless of schedule or mileage.

I had a similar problem. My service book shows I am on the long life service plan yet around one year from new I had the oil inspection service light pop up. I decided it was a good thing to have the oil changed after a year on a new engine rather than wait two years So I had the oil service done. The next service ( the full service) was on it’s third birthdate. Though at two years I had the problem arise that the service indicator popped up again suggesting it need servicing so I took it to the local dealer and they reset the indicator for me. The guy at the dealership did try and explain why I had the issue but I didn’t grasp the explanation.
The Inspection Service is on a timed basis, 365 days or 730 days, 1 yr or 2 yr Longlife service.
However, the Oil service is based on milage, 10,000 or 20,000 miles for the 1 or 2 yr Service intervals BUT can be over ridden by the Oil Sensor which measures contamination so give oil changes at a lower milage.
Driving style and type of driving can have a big impact on the oil sensor and time interval between oil changes.

I got exactly the same response from my dealer in Belgium…
Imagine all those white van couriers: with such short intervals, they’d be more in the dealership than on the roads…

The Inspection Service is on a timed basis, 365 days or 730 days, 1 yr or 2 yr Longlife service.
However, the Oil service is based on milage, 10,000 or 20,000 miles for the 1 or 2 yr Service intervals BUT can be over ridden by the Oil Sensor which measures contamination so give oil changes at a lower milage.
Driving style and type of driving can have a big impact on the oil sensor and time interval between oil changes.
@WG - You said the dealers explanation was a load of bollocks and then gave the same explanation, what am I missing here? Is the consensus to have the oils change regardless?

@WG - You said the dealers explanation was a load of bollocks and then gave the same explanation, what am I missing here? Is the consensus to have the oils change regardless?

The idea that the Oil sensor can be triggered by adding oil is a load of B******s.
If anything, if you require oil, during your weekly vehicle check or whenever, you would dilute any oil impurity and extend the milage to the next oil change.

Check your MFD Service menu. 500 miles after an oil change it will have calibrated itself and give you an estimated milage to next oil change. Check how it changes with short/long trips.
After an oil change and calibration, mine regularly shows 20,000 + miles . I rarely do short trips and clock up 20,000 or so miles / yr, except for last year.
As I now have an MOT each November I get a regular oil change . Just recently I had covered 17,500+ miles since previous oil change. The MFD showed 5,000 miles to go to next oil change.