Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Oil Service required after only 9000 miles

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Despite opting for the long life service schedule the dash is reminding me I nead an oil service. Called nearest dealer and they said I needed to return to where I bought it. Hastily contacted supplying dealer who said the service schedule is set at the factory and several owners have had a similar issue. Checked my service book where it confirmed the van should be on a long life service. Any one else had a similar experience? I don't want to be driving it around if infact it does need an oil change. Since contacted my local dealer and they have confirmed they will reset it for me.

You must have been working it hard!! I think it’s also now measured on how it’s driven. RPM, time on Tickover etc. 9k does seem low though.
Has it been stored for a long period somewhere?

Mine is indicating 7,800 to oil change after 3,000 miles.

A bit disappointing but then the engine is rather important and bathing it in fresh new oil is quite seductive if I wish to keep happy motoring for the next 200,000 miles or so...

I certainly have not been driving it hard. The opposite in fact. It's not been stored either. Just 2000 miles in Europe last summer and daily use and weekends away in southern UK. My dealer said he'd had others whose vehicles have been set up wrongly. But my fear is that the van is set up correctly, on long life, and the van computer has decided due to oil quality or whatever, that it does need an oil change and I am ignoring it. Loz's suggestion to change it anyway is a very good idea. Think I will request that whilst it's in the garage, outside my service plan I purchased. It's going in to get the heated seat not working fixed in any case.

Mine is indicating 7,800 to oil change after 3,000 miles.

A bit disappointing but then the engine is rather important and bathing it in fresh new oil is quite seductive if I wish to keep happy motoring for the next 200,000 miles or so...
Is your van on a long life service plan? Similar to what happened to mine.

Daily use - short journeys, lots of cold starts? 9000 miles doesn’t seem too bad if that’s the case.

Is your van on a long life service plan? Similar to what happened to mine.
Easy to check. Oil Change might be at 9000 miles, but what is the Service/Inspection time?

On my SE, on Longlife Service, both Oil & Inspection times are similar after a Reset Post-Service. Oil Change 20,000 miles and Inspection 730 days .

My 204 is coming up with "Oil change due in 28 days" (counting down daily). Currently approx 6500 miles and reg 1/3/2017.
Intended to do an annual oil change regardless of mileage so no issue but will check with dealer if it's covered by service agreement.

The long life service is basically either miles or time, whichever is reached first. So, it could be your miles are low, but your time is up. Indeed there also seems to be a bit of monitoring of usage/driving style that influences the interval. Our latest interval (just had the service done last week) came at 33.000 km/18 months, where the standard interval for our van is 30.000 km or 2 years.
Then again, indeed sometimes the reset of the service interval is not done correctly. Is easily remedied, we have had than happen as wel.

If your going back to the dealer you might as well get the oil changed. Had mine done at 7K
Daily use - short journeys, lots of cold starts? 9000 miles doesn’t seem too bad if that’s the case.
when I said daily drive, i was distinguishing from it being a second vehicle. It sits on the drive for most of the week as I work from home and catch train for work meetings. So most journeys are 20 plus miles. I have used it a lot less than my previous vehicle which was also on a long life service cycle and that was every two years. I suppose what I was trying to establish, and I didn't word my question very well, was, is it normal on a long life service plan to expect the van to need an oil change after only 9000 miles? But I have checked the service interval on the dash and it says inspection in 15000 miles 400 days so I think its wise to get the oil changed. Thanks everyone for your input.

I had an Audi S3 which as set up incorrectly at the factory, apparently can't be changed by the dealer, very annoying!

I had mine changed from LL to T&D by the dealer during pdi you can see which service plan it came from the factory by looking at your PR codes on your delivery label and the PR code will be one of;
Service intervals 2016 ►
PR no./remarks - Service: Intervals - Indicated on service interval display (includes oil change)
QI1 - Oil change service (fixed): every 5,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI2 - Oil change service (fixed): every 7,500 km or 1 year - YES
QI3 - Oil change service (fixed): every 10,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI4 - Oil change service (fixed): every 15,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI5 - Oil change service (fixed): every 20,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI6 - Oil change service (flexible): max. 30,000 km or 2 years - YES
QI8 - Oil change service (flexible): max. 40,000 km or 2 years - YES

“Petrol engine” QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, QI5, QI6 - Inspection 1) - YES
after 30,000 km or 2 years, then every 30,000 km or 1 year

“Diesel engine” QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, QI5, QI8 Inspection 1) - YES
after 40,000 km or 2 years, then every 40,000 km or 1 year

Mines a Q18 with an indication of 7,800 miles to oil service. Have covered 9,800 miles since last Feb (reg 21 Feb '17) so will probably get the oil changed just before we embark on our journey to Norway and back for peace of mind.

Thanks LOZ for info.
Mine has Q18 but as I put earlier it is now saying oil change in 25 days, actual mileage 6655 and not 12 months old as yet.
No oil consumption but very black.

Thanks LOZ for info.
Mine has Q18 but as I put earlier it is now saying oil change in 25 days, actual mileage 6655 and not 12 months old as yet.
No oil consumption but very black.
Oil goes Black, within a very short time/mileage. Normal.

I had mine changed from LL to T&D by the dealer during pdi you can see which service plan it came from the factory by looking at your PR codes on your delivery label and the PR code will be one of;
Service intervals 2016 ►
PR no./remarks - Service: Intervals - Indicated on service interval display (includes oil change)
QI1 - Oil change service (fixed): every 5,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI2 - Oil change service (fixed): every 7,500 km or 1 year - YES
QI3 - Oil change service (fixed): every 10,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI4 - Oil change service (fixed): every 15,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI5 - Oil change service (fixed): every 20,000 km or 1 year - YES
QI6 - Oil change service (flexible): max. 30,000 km or 2 years - YES
QI8 - Oil change service (flexible): max. 40,000 km or 2 years - YES

“Petrol engine” QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, QI5, QI6 - Inspection 1) - YES
after 30,000 km or 2 years, then every 30,000 km or 1 year

“Diesel engine” QI1, QI2, QI3, QI4, QI5, QI8 Inspection 1) - YES
after 40,000 km or 2 years, then every 40,000 km or 1 year

Hi Loz what does your MFD show when your service regime is set to T&D as I asked my local dealer to do this on my first service but my MFD is still showing a separate oil service and also a separate inspection service.

IMG_20180112_132243.jpg