Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

fitting headlight adapters

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
There was a thread about this on here somewhere but can't find it now.
Do the adapters block the left looking light beam or reflect it to the other side?
I only ask as it would be so much easier if i fit them tonight when it gets dark but don't know if its legal to have them fitted when in the UK?
I really don't want to have to stop at 2 in the morning in France to arse about with them.

The instructions only have "transporter van" listed and say only to use the round part of the adapter ie not the wing part. As the cali headlights are different to standard transporter lights i'm not sure if i should be taking notice of the relevant diagram or not.

The general concensus from that thread was that they should go just below and to the left of the middle. Hope that makes sense! (at least that is what i've done and didn't get any complaining flashes...!)

Ah ok cheers.
Did you fit them before you went ie still in UK?
Would there be a problem legally?

Also mine is the pre facelift so are the lights the same as the new ones?

I only took mine off last week and have been back from France nearly a month now.

It would be good if someone could put a photo on here with the beam adjusters in place whilst on the headlamp protectors so we can all use it as a guide as I normally just guess !

Cheers Martin, i'll go out and put them on when it gets dark tonight - was planning on pointing it my garage door and seeing what happens!
Just read the instructions and they say it's the high part of the beam that illuminates the road signs that needs blocking? I assume it must point left as well as up if it will dazzle oncomers when abroad.
Will post some pics in the morning if i get it right.

I can take a photo of mine with the 'proper' ones on if it helps?

That would be great Phil, I will add it to the downloads page as this is a question that keeps popping up.

Rilla said:
I can take a photo of mine with the 'proper' ones on if it helps?

Do it now Rilla i need to put mine on tonight :laugh2

Taken from approx eye level with the centre of the main headlamp.

It's getting a bit dark, so I'll do better ones another time with the van undercover to reduce reflections.

Right:

DSC_3793web.jpg

Left:

DSC_3803web.jpg

Nice one Rilla :thanks
Wish i hadn't wasted 6 quid on a set of deflectors now!
Or another 10 on a 2nd pair from Halfrauds because the first lot haven't f#### turned up yet :funny

No but they look similar am outside having a go now

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Well couldn't make head nor tail of that! No matter where i put them it didn't seem to alter the light pattern.
In the end i just put them below and left of centre as everyone suggests (including the instructions).

At least I've tried.

The bit of light that you are trying to stop won't be visible up close - I understand it to be a sort of reflection of the main light that is aimed up and left to light up the signs as you say.

Those photos are pretty much where I put mine. If that is black electrical tape be careful - I have read that using black tape can cause damage as it gets hot. Not sure if that is just cobblers to sell more light adjusting jobbies or not though!

Californiaman said:
The bit of light that you are trying to stop won't be visible up close - I understand it to be a sort of reflection of the main light that is aimed up and left to light up the signs as you say.

Those photos are pretty much where I put mine. If that is black electrical tape be careful - I have read that using black tape can cause damage as it gets hot. Not sure if that is just cobblers to sell more light adjusting jobbies or not though!
I never posted here after my trip - we didn't get flashed at once so I'm assuming that my sticker positioning was ok.

I never bothered with this hassle with the Cali...but then again was not driving at night...used to use black tape on the Split..then gave up...no doubt there will be posts telling me why I should do it!

I bought some headlight plastic protectors from the dealers yesterday,they come with outline on
The lens for the tabs which is also supplied.
Just thought if you needed to pop into vw for anything you might see them on display so may help. :eek:

Cheers ....Alan

Alan said:
I bought some headlight plastic protectors from the dealers yesterday,they come with outline on
The lens for the tabs which is also supplied.
Just thought if you needed to pop into vw for anything you might see them on display so may help. :eek:

Cheers ....Alan

We had these fitted from new and the outline will be really useful next time we go abroad (peeled off the tabs when we got back last autumn, and they are not re-useable). The outline is a very odd, angular shape so guess it's easy to get the shape and place wrong without the template on the protectors. Wouldn't like to try!

Alan said:
"I bought some headlight plastic protectors from the dealers yesterday,they come with outline on"

Cheers ....Alan

Hi Alan what type /make were yours? there was some talk on this forum that they break too easily. I think there is a VW own brand and a Brandrup brand which are about half the price of the VW's.
Cheers Eric

Hi Eric ,

I had the headlight adapters fitted at VW at SMG Cowfold on my just delivered Cali so I can't comment on their durability .

I believe I was charged less then the list price though.

Why not give the parts department a call ?

I think the adapter's look ok on the lights and even if the tabs are no good the next time I need to use them the outline is there to make my own tabs. ;)

Hope this helps Eric .

Bfn...Alan

I get totally pee'd off with all this headlight mallarky. :headbang

Truth be told they dont really do much when positioned correctly. Then consider that 90% of people probably have no idea where they are supposed to go so put them in the wrong place anyway.

I have driven in France for 6 years with my Seat Alhambra and never been pulled over ( law of averages says that I am going to get pulled at some time though if French plod is having a bad day ! ).I set the lights low on the internal beam adjuster and rarely ever got flashed by oncoming traffic.
On the Cali I propose to put some tape where I think is correct as no over eager gendarme is going to know where is the right place anyway. As long as they can see that there is something on the lights that vaguely resembles an effort to deflect the unwanted directional beam then that should satisfy 99% of them.

Its only going to be there a couple of weeks for god sake !!!

Its going to take an extemely knowledgable bobby to know where the right place on every make/model of vehicle is.If they do--then its a fair cop guv-----the French Foreign Legion isn't as bad as it used to be ;)

Following the thread with interest as off to France soon. Can I ask where the best place is to buy the deflectors from?

Thanks

Try giving Steve in parts a call at smg 01403581242. Should sort you out a great price :thumb

Plus two.
I have never used them and dont intend too in the future either.

I use the toggle on my Cali to dip the angle of beam to its lowest setting.
I have never been stopped or flashed.

:idea:
dfps said:
I get totally pee'd off with all this headlight mallarky. :headbang

Truth be told they dont really do much when positioned correctly. Then consider that 90% of people probably have no idea where they are supposed to go so put them in the wrong place anyway.

I have driven in France for 6 years with my Seat Alhambra and never been pulled over ( law of averages says that I am going to get pulled at some time though if French plod is having a bad day ! ).I set the lights low on the internal beam adjuster and rarely ever got flashed by oncoming traffic.
On the Cali I propose to put some tape where I think is correct as no over eager gendarme is going to know where is the right place anyway. As long as they can see that there is something on the lights that vaguely resembles an effort to deflect the unwanted directional beam then that should satisfy 99% of them.

Its only going to be there a couple of weeks for god sake !!!

Its going to take an extemely knowledgable bobby to know where the right place on every make/model of vehicle is.If they do--then its a fair cop guv-----the French Foreign Legion isn't as bad as it used to be ;)

Hi

Just fitted a set of these headlight protectors brought from VW ahead of our France trip for the princely sum of £45 :shocked. The fit is shockingly bad, £45 for two bits of plastic that fit so poorly it has taken me 2 bottles of Bombarder and 20 mins re shaping the protectors with a Dremel just to get them to sit right and not foul the bonnet, not to mention the numerous four word mutterings and one of the two required washers missing.

My advice would be go with the electrical tape option. :thumb

Cheers

Steve

Back