Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Van battery flat

Ours was a 2011 5.1 model. We find that using the led cabin lights is fine if camped for 3 or 4 days but we tend to drive to the south of France and then camp on the same pitch for maybe 3 or 4 weeks because we are old and lazy now. I am assuming the 20 amp cigar socket in the cabin runs off the leisure battery, as the voltage on this never seems to drop when on site and plugged in, and unlike the dash socket the voltage does not drop when the cabin lights are turned on. The lights in the overhead panel over the dashboard can drain the engine battery quite quickly, maybe these are still not led's on the T6?
I'm not sure about the front cabin and footwell lights. All I know is that some posts on the T6 forum talked about LED replacements for these lights.

This thread is making me think I need to go and pull some fuses to check which socket is powered from where...

Alan
On my Cali the cup holder/ash tray drawer cigar lighter is powered from the engine battery, as I use that socket to charge engine battery whilst on hook up at home.
Before anyone asks how? I use a check charger plugged into mains socket then adapt or to cigar socket

My Cali is a T5 so I can leave the ignition on and not have to worry about flattening the battery (no DRL'S or fancy business going on).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Don't be too sure! I have a 2007 T5 and left the ignition on for a while after bringing the roof down, it flattened the battery. Good thing I was at a Cali meet and T6 CFO (Mike) was there and only too willing to test a little device he had bought for just such an eventuality.

It was wonderful so I have one now!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Starter-Battery-18000mAh-Compressor/dp/B017IJ9IYE/ref=br_lf_m_zw6djypn9j5493z_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=automotive

I have had a flat battery on our Cali a few years back due to excessive opening and closing of the electric sliding door when not on hook up.
Luckily we were on a site and the owner was able to jump start us.
I bought a very similar jump starter to the one you've bought last year - I got to use it in anger for the first time the other day to start the mother in law's camper van and it worked a treat!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They´re a great thing to have. I got mine after a tip on this forum.GB40-Portable-Lithium-Battery-Car-Jump-Starter-Booster-Pack-For-Jump-Starting-PT01.jpg

On my Cali the cup holder/ash tray drawer cigar lighter is powered from the engine battery, as I use that socket to charge engine battery whilst on hook up at home.
Before anyone asks how? I use a check charger plugged into mains socket then adapt or to cigar socket

The C-Tec chargers are very good and I use one to trickle-charge a classic car in my garage. But they aren't cheap and you don't need one for your Cali as you can just use the electric hook-up cable - that will trickle charge both the engine and leisure batteries.

Or have I missed something from your post John? [EDIT: on reflection I think earlier Cali's didn't have that engine battery charge function, no??]

The C-Tec chargers are very good and I use one to trickle-charge a classic car in my garage. But they aren't cheap and you don't need one for your Cali as you can just use the electric hook-up cable - that will trickle charge both the engine and leisure batteries.

Or have I missed something from your post John? [EDIT: on reflection I think earlier Cali's didn't have that engine battery charge function, no??]
Pre 2007 Chargers on the T5 California only charge the Leisure Batteries.

And some beaches also came without hookup and charger at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On our T6 Beach we were disappointed/surprised to find that all the interior LED lights work off the engine battery rather than the leisure battery, after maybe 5 or 6 days parked up on a campsite the engine battery would be down below 12 volts (we carry a cheapo (£2 from china) volt meter which plugs in to a cigar type socket to monitor battery voltages), so we have bought a mains voltage light to plug in on long dark evenings when we are hooked up, we recently bought a mains voltage Outwell Collaps LED light, not cheap but folds up small, seems robust, and very effective.
have to disagree mate. your beach t6 rear lighting should come from the leisure battery.

The one I have includes a compressor for inflating tyres as well. I hope never to use any of it for anything except possibly emergency charging of phone or laptop.