Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chair broken

A member at the German Caliboard.de has built these bolts for repairing the arms:

https://www.caliboard.de/uploads/mo...humb.jpg.80e7529c1539be9138688a8073be6069.jpg

I ordered a set (4 for for both chairs) at 30 euro and put them in the van just in case the poor designed plastic construction fails. Maybe I replace them anyway, before tumbling on the campground.

You can only see the pictures on the site above after registration (worth to do that, they are very well informed). If I receive the bolts next week I can post a picture.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

I had a similar issue with a deck chair once, it had to be cut off. Unfortunately, I could not secure a refund from the shop.
upload_2018-11-22_15-9-40.png

Tracey Johns - thanks for the pic of your solution.

marchugo - those bolts from Germany look a really good idea! Please can you provide a link to the purchase source... Thanks.

Has anyone found alternative chairs that fit in the tailgate slots?

marchugo - thank you for the link & email address for DomiT6

DomiT6 - I've sent you an email

Has anyone found alternative chairs that fit in the tailgate slots?

Eureka...! I've found a folding chair that stows in the tailgate...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079G7JSW3/?tag=eliteelect-21

At £16, it's very good value & it appears to be reasonably durable. The internal width is slightly narrower than the Cali chair so may be a problem with large hips but it's fine for me at 14 stone/92 Kg.

Even though I'm hoping to repair my Cali chairs with DomiT6's bolts, it feels good to find an alternative.

Many thanks to DomiT6 for his chair repair 'bolts'. I've just fitted them & they are the mutt's nuts! Drilling out the existing pop rivets was trivial & it took just 15 mins to repair one chair. I can highly recommend his 'bolts' if your camping chairs break at the top-front plastic joint.

All depends on the overall failure rate versus the cost of development and making a stronger version.
VW don't bare the cost, the chair manufacturer does.

I used DomiT6's 'bolts' to repair both our camping chairs, even tho' one hadn't yet failed. Turns out the unbroken chair was using an upgraded plastic part - beefier, longer, snugger fitting & a less brittle material. So maybe word had got back to the chair manufacturer after all...??!

Hi DomiT6

Is it possible to order a set from you, I am from Ireland but currently in Austria near Salzburg returning through Germany.

Regards. Ian

I tried to PM you but I think you have to be a VIP member
Hey Ian,

Please contact me by e - mail to discuss further details.
D.Baeurle@gmx.de

Regards Domi

Hello Dormi,
If you still have them available, could I please order four as I've just had a second joint snap and I now wish to change them all on both picnic chairs?
I am away on holiday at present but will contact you by Email on my return.

Best wishes
Paul

Hello Dormi,
If you still have them available, could I please order four as I've just had a second joint snap and I now wish to change them all on both picnic chairs?
I am away on holiday at present but will contact you by Email on my return.

Best wishes
Paul
Hey Paul,
i have any Sets in stock.
Please contact me by Mail.

Regards,Domi

Last edited by a moderator:
Happened to mine but its an easy fix with a pop rivet gun.
Drill the old ends out and put in a new correctly sized pop rivet and its sorted.
Yes, same here.. repaired mine with a pop rivet and has held well over the last two years..

Back