Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding chairs - any recommendations?

Looks good - what’s the verdict with weight though? Does the tailgate stay ‘up’?
Only got chair yesterday, ordered on Friday so very pleased with the company.
The chair frame looks and feels super strong, the material doesn’t feel as thick or as tough though.
Knew this from YouTube review, will be fine for average weight person.
I don’t have a Cali anymore so don’t know about tailgate.
If you need more space or extra chair then perfect, not sure they are anymore comfy than cali chairs. If westfalia had used the tailgate chair storage then I wouldn’t have bothered.
Cost £72 each plus postage.
Dimensions below

65A3D2F7-6D1C-4C44-B6B7-868FB239A5F3.jpeg

So been testing chair, it’s surprisingly comfy on the bum and back.
Massive plus is it holds my coffee mug.
Very stable on rough ground.
Negative points
It’s a little narrow, ok for average build.
Black frame marks easily (you can buy a bag for them £15/£17 though.
Love the size it folds down too, just need to fork out for another one now.949D49E0-A42A-4C0B-846A-1BCA27EF7299.jpeg

I have made enquires at Front Runner and they have a promotion at the moment which is free delivery with orders for 2 of these chairs. No discount for only 1.

Incidentally I bought one of these bottle openers from Front Runner last year but I haven't used it yet, it fits to the awning rail with the same sliding connector that I use in the awning rail for a raised roof cover

1614603221890.png

Last edited:
So been testing chair, it’s surprisingly comfy on the bum and back.
Massive plus is it holds my coffee mug.
Very stable on rough ground.
Negative points
It’s a little narrow, ok for average build.
Black frame marks easily (you can buy a bag for them £15/£17 though.
Love the size it folds down too, just need to fork out for another one now.View attachment 74401

These look great - don’t suppose there’s such a thing as an aluminium version anyone’s found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti products are really good but I'd struggle to justify paying this much. However someone out there will and I'm sure they'll be happy with their purchase.

Wow! I thought that Helinox were expensive but this is a whole new level. They do look good but I would be terrified to let it out of my sight.

Yeti products are really good but I'd struggle to justify paying this much. However someone out there will and I'm sure they'll be happy with their purchase.

Crikey! It looks like a great chair but at that price I'm not sure how many they will sell. No wonder they have them in stock

Seems like they sell a lot in the US which unsurprisingly are cheaper. We have a few of their products which are beautifully made, robust and whilst a little more expensive than the norm are in my opinion worth it. Think it might take a number of years of falling through cheaper chairs to justify buying one though.
I agree they are worth a look. I've never minded paying for quality however at £300 a pop the quality better be exceptional.

I was browsing this thread earlier, before a trip to Costco. Was tempted by the look of the Robens explorer as mentioned by someone higher up.... However I've taken a punt on a lookalike which I found, in Costco, at I think £33. How bad can it be?!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084GJBVD9/?tag=eliteelect-21
Ps I've been sitting on it a while this afternoon and feels comfy. Fairly snug and quite upright but it works for me (5'9 and 10st).
Thanks. 1.7kg sounds better than 4kg for the Front Runner expander.
Do they fit in the void of the factory chairs in the tailgate storage?

We use one of these as an additional chair, folds super flat an takes no space at all on the back shelf

Thanks. 1.7kg sounds better than 4kg for the Front Runner expander.
Do they fit in the void of the factory chairs in the tailgate storage?
I doubt it, very light, but probably a little too chunky for the tailgate as you wrap the seat cover around the poles then in the bag
We just keep them in the boot
They were only £25 each last year, but very good quality, and easy to put up and down

I agree they are worth a look. I've never minded paying for quality however at £300 a pop the quality better be exceptional.
We have a load of yeti stuff. Bags, coolers, bottles. If this chair fitted in the tailgate , I’d grab it. Quality and design is a different level. My favourite brand.

For six people meeting outdoors.

b768caaafa7b1a5ac7173e7e5048eddc.jpg

Would you get two of these in the tailgate alongside the existing California chairs do you think?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Yes, though I haven’t got my van yet (late night shopping temptation got the better of me) they fit in the void of the factory chairs, so you could fit one in each. There is a post on here showing a video of them being stashed...but as I say I haven’t tried yet. There are 3 in our family so I thought I’d try one. I might buy a second when I know it fits, but I can recommend their sturdiness and design - comfort pretty good

Yes, though I haven’t got my van yet (late night shopping temptation got the better of me) they fit in the void of the factory chairs, so you could fit one in each. There is a post on here showing a video of them being stashed...but as I say I haven’t tried yet. There are 3 in our family so I thought I’d try one. I might buy a second when I know it fits, but I can recommend their sturdiness and design - comfort pretty good
There's a kind of screw to fix the tailgate hydraulic cylinder to prevent it from sagging. I'll try to find it again.
edit:
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-18 om 12.00.33.jpg

Last edited:
There's a kind of screw to fix the tailgate hydraulic cylinder to prevent it from sagging. I'll try to find it again.
Thanks - look forward to seeing how that works
Looks like he’s propped his tailgate with a pole on the video. Wonder if the tailgate will stay fully up with just one additional chair in it...

Its a good brand, looks decent. I went for one of these, which fits in the void of the chair in the tailgate. There's 3 of us and we need 3 decent chairs, feels solid, if a little heavy...
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/uk/front-runner-expander-chair.html

Has anyone ordered the FrontRunnerOutfitters chairs since Br*xit? Looks like they may be shipped from abroad - just wondering if there were any delays or additional charges people have been hit with or if it went smoothly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has anyone ordered the FrontRunnerOutfitters chairs since Br*xit? Looks like they may be shipped from abroad - just wondering if there were any delays or additional charges people have been hit with or if it went smoothly.

I bought mine from tuff trek £71 each plus postage (came next day)

I bought mine from First Four Off Road for £64.50 but I see they've now closed. I see you can buy them from this UK supplier for £63
https://maverick4x4.co.uk/products/front-runner-expander-chair

Last edited:
Back