Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding the rear 3 seat down as a bed problem

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Picked up our Beach yesterday and we where not shown how to fold the bed down flat.

I assumed the manual would explain but if It does I can't find it.

I under stand that you pull the number 1 and move the back rest all the way forward, then pull number 2 and slide the whole seat forward.. then pull number 1 again to move the back rest all the way back to the bed position and it gets to about a 45 degree angle backwards and thats it.

Am I missing something or should I be doing something different? Its absolutely done my head in :headbang

Thanks Paul

Bit hard to see without seeing it, it is in the manual.

You fold the seat rest down so it falls forward. You then use the lever on the base to pull the whole seat forward to point where, when flat it will fit the multiplex board (this is knack knowing the right place).

Then you use the level in the middle, pull it out, push the seat back up and it fold back and it will start to form a bed, eventually laying flat and lining up with the board

If you're really stuck I will post some pictures :) :)

James

I just read the instructions in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4602

Do I have to lift the base up whilst pushing the back rest back?

I have not seen the base try to raise at all.. going to have another play :lol:

rippers said:
I just read the instructions in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4602

Do I have to lift the base up whilst pushing the back rest back?

I have not seen the base try to raise at all.. going to have another play :lol:

No, just pull out the handle and push the back part back. As the back part of the seat goes back the base lifts up and into place

James

Just tried it again and pulled the base up as I pushed back and it works, maybe it's a bit stiff as it's newish?

rippers said:
Just tried it again and pulled the base up as I pushed back and it works, maybe it's a bit stuff as it newish?

Could be - that's all you have to do though - :)

Glad it is sorted.

James

Hi Rippers,

I am having the same problem with the 3 seat bench, the backrest folds forward ok, and the bench slides as far forward as I can get it with the middle seat in place. When I then try to fold the backrest back to make the bed it stops at 45 degrees and will go no further. What part did you lift to get yours to work?

Very frustrated!!
Any help gratefully received.

Mark

Try pulling up the lower seat from the back up as you push the top of the seat when operating the lever. Hope that makes sense. Mine loosened up after a fee times

Think you need to lift the front of the seat base up.
It's very tight with the middle row of seats. I read somebody removes the plastic stops at the end of the rails to allow the middle row to go a bit further forward.

Thanks for the advice, too dark now but I'll have another try in the morning.

Regards,

Mark :sad

Definately need to lift the base on mine as pushing the back rest back.....like pulling out a sofa bed.

Success!!
Thanks for the advice, just needed a bit more momentum when pushing the backrest down, and a little lift of the seat as you all said. :thumb I was treating it too gently.

I still could not get the seat far enough forward with the middle seats in to allow the rear hinged section of the multi-flex to fold up flat. The multi-flex pushed towards the tailgate seems to hit a stop with about 1.5cm gap left between the board and the interior bodywork. I finally found that undoing the multi-flex completely, lifting it back and then fixing it down again gains just enough room to allow the hinged section to fold up flat. (also moves the thumb screw on the mult-iflex clear of the 12v socket - not VW's finest design moment!)

Not sure I'll be able to repeat the process fully loaded on arrival at a wet campsite, but we are going to give it a go this weekend.

Thanks again for the tips.

Mark

Hello.

My first post.

I have just collected my 2011 Cali se. An rather starry eyed also failed to ask about the bed(. Too busy playing with the roof). It has leather but I can't see that making any odds. What is the handle 1 and 2 people talk about. I can slide it all the way forwards, the front seat lifts up hingeing on the front. But only a little way. But nothing seems to happen.

Please can someone start from the beginning for me.

Thanks

Chris.

Hi Chris welcome if you feel in the middle of the seat where the seat belt catches are you should find a black strap
Pull on this should release the back of the seat allowing it to go flat

Bingo.

Little strap. Well not the most intelligent first post. However. Now sat in the slightly reclined position. Much more comfy.

Does anyone's bench seat lift all the way forward? Mine only goes about 4 inches.

Many thanks.

Hi Chris,

No, there is a fabric strap that stops that happening. Probably because the drawer is underneath the seat squab.

BTW, when you fold down the seatback flat you will need to release the head rests so that they fold back and down into the rear storage space to enable the seatback to go completely flat.

Enjoy your new Cali.

Alan