Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

3 seat beach bed... sorry!

Do this via email

Get a written quote from another dealer for the correct part, request them to tell you the correct part for your vin (comfort matress )

get them to confirm availability and lead time for delivery from VWuk.

Give them your vin number and get them to specifically confirm that the correct matress part number is in fact correct for your for your van / vin

After you receive the above - send another email to the new dealer:
ask if the two seater matress is correct for your vin number ? ( find the 2 seater part number) and state that you have heard 5ere are several options for your vin !

supplied the correct part number, photos of the correct part, videos of CaliChris setting up the correct mattress in a 3 seat Beach on you tube but no the computer says the one they've sent me is the ONLY ONE!
Extremely annoying!
From memory £500ish rings a bell, so not dissimilar to what I paid (from the £1200 options voucher) for mine
Get some prices from other dealers and then ask them how much the correct part is? To see if they can supply it or if they make up some bull about it not being available.

I think i’d buy the correct one elsewhere and then take it it to show them and demand your money back for the original.

That dealer has been named and shamed on here before for poor practices

Do this via email

Get a written quote from another dealer for the correct part, request them to tell you the correct part for your vin (comfort matress )

get them to confirm availability and lead time for delivery from VWuk.

Give them your vin number and get them to specifically confirm that the correct matress part number is in fact correct for your for your van / vin

After you receive the above - send another email to the new dealer:
ask if the two seater matress is correct for your vin number ? ( find the 2 seater part number) and state that you have heard 5ere are several options for your vin !
I did pretty much this with VW Liverpool. Logic being California Chris is the main man there and does the YouTube stuff but also they are the same group (Swansway) as VW Birmingham. Chris confirmed the correct part number (not the one I was provided with) in an email which I also forwarded to my dealer... They are just buggering me about.

incidentally they still haven't provided details of their official complaints procedure despite me asking for this in my original email....

Repeat with a dealer outside group, then present to VWUk for comment and make a formal complaint to VW U.K. about the dealer selling incorrect parts

I noticed recently that the VW franchise in Hatfield has closed after many years of poor service, so It can happen that VW pull the plug on franchise dealers

If all else fails approach trading standards, did you buy anything else at the same time and use your credit card ?

If all else fails approach trading standards, did you buy anything else at the same time and use your credit card ?
No we didn't sadly. We paid cash via bank transfer for the Cali and extras we got using the £1200 options voucher

Repeat with a dealer outside group, then present to VWUk for comment and make a formal complaint to VW U.K. about the dealer selling incorrect parts

I noticed recently that the VW franchise in Hatfield has closed after many years of poor service, so It can happen that VW pull the plug on franchise dealers
Ok will do. Swindon and Worcester have been excellent but any other dealer recommendations are welcome please!

Tbh I'm tired of the fight but on principle and onward enjoyment I want this resolved

Politely ask to escalate your complaint to the next tier of management.

Make sure that you state your complaint clearly and provide clear unequivocal evidence that an error has been made. Also clearly state the resolution you seek.

EXAMPLE

Dear ---

As part of my £1200 accessory voucher with the purchase of a California Beach with a three seat bench I ordered a comfort mattress to provide a perfectly flat bed. I was supplied with a comfort mattress for a California Beach with a two seat bench seat, which will not lie flat in my van.

The mattress supplied is part number: ---
The mattress which should have been supplied is part number: ---

Your sales team insist that the right part has been supplied as it was "booked against my vehicle by reg and there's no other option for an aftermarket comfort mattress" . However, I know that the correct mattress is available as it can be sourced from other dealers.

Please see the photo of the mattress supplied with my van and the photo of the correct mattress available in a van you currently have for sale.

If you require further evidence, you are welcome to examine my van with the incorrect mattress fitted, and compare it with the correct mattress you currently have in another van you have for sale.

All I ask to resolve this matter is for the incorrect mattress to be replaced with the correct mattress.

Season's greetings, etc.

Last edited:
Politely ask to escalate your complaint to the next tier of management.

Make sure that you state your complaint clearly and provide clear unequivocal evidence that an error has been made. Also clearly state the resolution you seek.

EXAMPLE

Dear ---

As part of my £1200 accessory voucher with the purchase of a California Beach with a three seat bench I ordered a comfort mattress to provide a perfectly flat bed. I was supplied with a comfort mattress for a California Beach with a two seat bench seat, which will not lie flat in my van.

The mattress supplied is part number: ---
The mattress which should have been supplied is part number: ---

Your sales team insist that the right part has been supplied as it was "booked against my vehicle by reg and there's no other option for an aftermarket comfort mattress" . However, I know that the correct mattress is available as it can be sourced from other dealers.

Please see the photo of the mattress supplied with my van and the photo of the correct mattress available in a van you currently have for sale.

If you require further evidence, you are welcome to examine my van with the incorrect mattress fitted, and compare it with the correct mattress you currently have in another van you have for sale.

All I ask to resolve this matter is for the incorrect mattress to be replaced with the correct mattress.

Seasons' greetings, etc.
Excellent and my thanks. You a solicitor?! Very grateful.

Excellent and my thanks. You a solicitor?! Very grateful.
Not a solicitor - just an amateur complainer.

I put in a gargantuan effort to persuade Greenwich Schools' Admissions to accept a school application when we had rented out our home for a year to tour Europe. They claimed we were "travellers", and had that confirmed by the legal team. See:

Often complaints change as new facts are uncovered as they escalate through the procedure. At each stage you have to restate your case, explaining why a previous decision was incorrect, otherwise you risk the same old tired arguments being reconsidered with the same conclusion. The reason the Greenwich Legal team supported the Admissions Team argument was they only considered the view of the admissions team - "A family are living outside the UK and have rented out their home in Greenwich, can they apply for a school place in Greenwich?" The question should have been, "A family who were resident in Greenwich are now camping at various places around Europe for a few days at a time. They say they will be returning to their family home before the end of the school year. Is Greenwich still their home local authority?"

Here is a link to the directors of the swanways group and their email addresses.

I would email one of them directly with your complaint and say what you want to happen for this to be resolved (to be provided with a comfort mattress for the 3 seater bench Beach). The dealer has had their chance to sort it out and they’ve blown it. Time to escalate.

incidentally they still haven't provided details of their official complaints procedure despite me asking for this in my original email....
They are screwing with you. They think they can tire you out and make you give up. Stop comunicating with them. Get a solicitor, give him all the info the fòrum members have given you, and have him/her write a letter. Ask your solictor to make sure it is published on social media. Burn them on social media, and they will beg you to take a 3 seat bench Comfort Mattress, and pay your legal fees.

Not a solicitor - just an amateur complainer.

I put in a gargantuan effort to persuade Greenwich Schools' Admissions to accept a school application when we had rented out our home for a year to tour Europe. They claimed we were "travellers", and had that confirmed by the legal team. See:

Often complaints change as new facts are uncovered as they escalate through the procedure. At each stage you have to restate your case, explaining why a previous decision was incorrect, otherwise you risk the same old tired arguments being reconsidered with the same conclusion. The reason the Greenwich Legal team supported the Admissions Team argument was they only considered the view of the admissions team - "A family are living outside the UK and have rented out their home in Greenwich, can they apply for a school place in Greenwich?" The question should have been, "A family who were resident in Greenwich are now camping at various places around Europe for a few days at a time. They say they will be returning to their family home before the end of the school year. Is Greenwich still their home local authority?"
Crikey what a saga. I trust common sense came through and you got it sorted. Once again my thanks for your help.

Here is a link to the directors of the swanways group and their email addresses.

I would email one of them directly with your complaint and say what you want to happen for this to be resolved (to be provided with a comfort mattress for the 3 seater bench Beach). The dealer has had their chance to sort it out and they’ve blown it. Time to escalate.

Thanks lemondrop I agree. It's funny as my wife and I were discussing the same last night. Will do this today.

They are screwing with you. They think they can tire you out and make you give up. Stop comunicating with them. Get a solicitor, give him all the info the fòrum members have given you, and have him/her write a letter. Ask your solictor to make sure it is published on social media. Burn them on social media, and they will beg you to take a 3 seat bench Comfort Mattress, and pay your legal fees.
Thanks. This will be my next move after contacting the directors at Swansway if this doesn't rectify the situation.

Thanks. This will be my next move after contacting the directors at Swansway if this doesn't rectify the situation.
I would hold off getting a solicitor involved until the last resort.

If you get no joy with the directors of Swanways then contact VWUK. Here are the email addresses of the ceo and managing director. Make sure you let Swanways know this is what you will do if they don’t rectify their mistake, but give them the chance to do this first (keep this in your back pocket for now)

Last edited:
I would hold off getting a solicitor involved until the last resort.

If you get no joy with the directors of Swanways then contact VWUK. Here are the email addresses of the ceo and managing director. Make sure you let Swanways know this is what you will do if they don’t rectify their mistake, but give them the chance to do this first (keep that in your back pocket for now)

Thanks. So in my letter to Swansway you suggest that I let them know I will go to VW UK if they don't rectify?

Thanks. So in my letter to Swansway you suggest that I let them know I will go to VW UK if they don't rectify?
I wouldn't tell them that until you are about to do it - i.e. if they don't sort out the problem tell them you will escalate to VW UK. In a game of chess you wouldn't tell your opponent your next move in advance, think of it like that.

I do wonder if the dealer realises how many potential customers read this forum ! And the damage the dealer does to customers and how many potential sales are lost as a result of under hand dealing
This is the second instance I am aware of with swansway not playing with a straight Bat !

If I’m aware other potential customers will be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back