Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Footwell pads - any advice

J

JohnT

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello all - don't even know what these might be called, but I'm noticing a lot of dirt getting stuck in the edges and is increasingly hard to get out. Anyone had any luck removing them?

IMG_1725.JPG

I have little mats that cover them but I know what you mean. Maybe go at it easy with a prising item.

They plug straight out, but you will have to dismantle the B-pillar at the bottom.

1598904297482.png

I think the middle part is just a moulding in the complete step plastic. As above if you want to take the complete step out you will need to remove the lower part of the 'B' pillar cover and the lower part of the door aperture seal.
It's a pain in the ar*e, do your best to scrub it clean in place.

He is asking about the pad with the squares on it
in ze middle, not the full thing.
But if you take out the whole thing, you might be able to see what is going on?

Exploded diagram shows it all as one piece.

They are all the similar BUT FOR for colour, illumination type and if there is the stainless steel insert fitted...

Appreciate the parts man's nightmare when ordering replacement parts if you can't supply your VIN.

Standard plastic is a one piece affair, not possible to change just the insert.
Rubbish design IMO
They are available with stainless steel insert which has rubber bumps (step is still one complete item), the stainless steel marks.
Fairly easy DIy job to change to steps, but as mentioned some partial trim removal required.
Vacuum with a brush attachment work well for me, if not as Westfalia says, get your tooth brush out, do not flood the step with water, water will go under the step, the step underside simply sits on the bodywork and rubs the paint away where it make contact, so introducing water can assist in corrosion under the plastic step panel.
Edit, I believe there are after market steps available, that have a recess , which allows you to put your own insert in them, such as wood, metal etc.

Last edited:
Standard plastic is a one piece affair, not possible to change just the insert.
Rubbish design IMO
They are available with stainless steel insert which has rubber bumps (step is still one complete item), the stainless steel marks.
Fairly easy DIy job to change to steps, but as mentablve some partial trim removal required.
Vacuum with a brush attachment ent work well for me, if not as Westfalia says, get your tooth brush out, do not flood the step with water, water will go under the step, the step underside simply sits on the bodywork and rubs the paint away where it make contact, so introducing water can assist in corrosion under the plastic step panel.
Edit, I believe there are after market steps available, that have a recess , which allows you to put your own insert in them, such as wood, metal etc.
Thanks for the detailed reply Perfectos and all!

We bought the mat insert set to stop the plastic steps from looking grubby and they have worked a treat. We also upgraded the sill protectors again for the same reason. We bought both sets online, they are easy to find and fit perfectly. I attached the mats with Velcro so I can remove to clean underneath.

E2113275-BB6F-4B55-80E9-4C816F760265.jpeg

1C1AB72F-28B6-4DC2-ABC3-A395290FBE42.jpeg

We bought the mat insert set to stop the plastic steps from looking grubby and they have worked a treat. We also upgraded the sill protectors again for the same reason. We bought both sets online, they are easy to find and fit perfectly. I attached the mats with Velcro so I can remove to clean underneath.

View attachment 65604

View attachment 65605
They look great - thank you for your help! I love that VW rubber mat you have in the drivers footwell too - looks well robust!

Back