Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

White powder/crystals in passenger footwell

DavidH

DavidH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

I recently had to brake hard and my poor dog in the passenger seat hit the passenger glove compartment..he did have a harness on but it was bit long ...he is OK by the way...but when he hit the glove compartment a load of white powder/crystals fell into the passenger footwell (photo attached)...I phoned VW van centre and also VW technical support but they have never heard of this or know what they could be.

I cant get the van into the van centre yet but wondered if anyone had any ideas...I wondered if they might be the sodium azide from the airbag?

thanks for your help

Unknown.jpeg

Could it be from the airbag? They leave a white powder residue when they go off I think.

yes thats my guess but of course VW have never heard of such a thing (implying it couldn't be that !)...I pointed out that just because they hadn't seen it it didn't mean it couldn't happen (mainly because it has happened)....

They are total liars when it comes to admitting to commonly known issues, so it’s wise to discount whatever they say.

They are total liars when it comes to admitting to commonly known issues, so it’s wise to discount whatever they say.
Yep...I had the same thing with my fridge which went on the blink...they just wouldn't accept it was defective

Hi all,

I recently had to brake hard and my poor dog in the passenger seat hit the passenger glove compartment..he did have a harness on but it was bit long ...he is OK by the way...but when he hit the glove compartment a load of white powder/crystals fell into the passenger footwell (photo attached)...I phoned VW van centre and also VW technical support but they have never heard of this or know what they could be.

I cant get the van into the van centre yet but wondered if anyone had any ideas...I wondered if they might be the sodium azide from the airbag?

thanks for your help

View attachment 70971
Did Walter White borrow the van? :)

The only other thing I wondered if it it could from was the aircon?

I once had a Merecedes that dumped a load of water in the same place from the aircon.

I changed my pollen filter this year and gave it a good clean out
whilst i was up there, - its under the dash of the passenger
footwell - i didn't see and white powder though.

Could it be that you have an aircon leak and the white stuff has
formed on the pipes?

How big is that lump? difficult to get a sense of scale from the photo.

That could be worth a bit - probably best not to put it up for sale on a public forum though.

Seriously, I would get it checked out before trying to cross the Chanel. Even if you clean it up so you cant see it the sniffer dogs could detect it.

That could be worth a bit - probably best not to put it up for sale on a public forum though.

Seriously, I would get it checked out before trying to cross the Chanel. Even if you clean it up so you cant see it the sniffer dogs could detect it.
I love that you have started that sentence 'seriously'...yes i have had the van from new...and i dont think anyone will be crossing the channel anytime soon.

I am serious, yours would not be the first brand new vehicle to have transported a dodgy substance over the Channel.

Far better for you to be asking Plod what it is, than them asking you.

If Vw can't account for it and you can't someone must have put it there.....

It is a strange one DavidH.

Have you had a look up from where you think it fell from?

I am serious, yours would not be the first brand new vehicle to have transported a dodgy substance over the Channel.

Far better for you to be asking Plod what it is, than them asking you.

If Vw can't account for it and you can't someone must have put it there.....
Oh ok...well it defo isnt anything dodgy...far too crystalline in texture and smell is too pungent.

I have Vw assistance coming out tomorrow to look at it...will keep everyone posted.

It is a strange one DavidH.

Have you had a look up from where you think it fell from?
There is quite a big gap behind the back of the glove compartment where it might well have fallen from...but i was busy concentrating on not hitting the car in front at the time...

unless my dog has taken to drug dealing of course...i wouldn't put it past him

There are 2 chemicals used in Airbags. Sodium Azide is colourless. I think Potassium Nitrate is white in its crystalline form. But the amount you mentioned and the fact it just fell out - I don’t think it could be that.

Airbags.

Sodium Azide

Potassium Nitrate

Has Eric Clapton been near your Van?

that looks like a shed load of powder, I would have the lower dash off to check out what and where it came from. The fact it looks consolidated make me suspicious! (Mr mule)

Ok. to add to all this - someone on here posted the pic of a slashed tyre of a brand new Cali which, if I remember right, had not even been taken off the transporter. The only conclusion was the said new Cali, being used as a mule and the contraband was stored within the tyres. Van came into the country, slash the tyres and pick up the contraband - easy peasy.

Maybe someone forgot to pick up the packet from under your dashboard? :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:D:D

Ok. to add to all this - someone on here posted the pic of a slashed tyre of a brand new Cali which, if I remember right, had not even been taken off the transporter. The only conclusion was the said new Cali, being used as a mule and the contraband was stored within the tyres. Van came into the country, slash the tyres and pick up the contraband - easy peasy.

Maybe someone forgot to pick up the packet from under your dashboard? :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:D:D
“ Happy “ Christmas. Maybe:bananadance2

Back