Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France and Spain hook up

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have a 25m cable but that's it. Do we need anything else for the continent? Inverter or anything?!

Cheers!

Yes its a euro 2 pin hook up adapter :thumb

You get a euroconvertor with the California from new :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
You get a euroconvertor with the California from new :thumb

Where is it usually stored? I'll have a rummage!

Don't forget a reversed polarity hook up lead as well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Freeley said:

I'm a bit confused by this. A/C changes polarity about 50 times a second. Euro plugs can generally be plugged in either way around (indeed, I generally have one of the converters upside down for better cable routing when we are on hookup).

So I can't get my head around what a reversed polarity lead does? I'm guessing I've missed something daft. I have only had one cup of tea so far today.

dan

Dan I was also slightly confused by this so we put a nice little article in the download
Section on reverse polarity that explains it :thumb

Cool, I'll have a read.

Thanks,
dan

Calikev said:
Dan I was also slightly confused by this so we put a nice little article in the download
Section on reverse polarity that explains it :thumb

Can't seem to access it; usual name and password?

No it's different I will pm it to you :thumb

Calikev said:
No it's different I will pm it to you :thumb

Cheers! Had a dig in the drawer under the bench and hey presto, a Euro/hookup adaptor cable appeared! Amazing what's hidden under there!

Inverter time...!

Okay, I've read the pdf and know what it is; does the Cali's RCD tell you if polarity is reversed?! And do I have to buy another cable and do the reverse polarity thing myself (no problem but it seems a bit crude!)?!

Cheers and apologies for the daft questions!

Matt, you need a reverse polarity tester plug, they are only a few quid, you just plug it in when you arrive at site and it will tell you if the polarity is reversed or not.

Kev used to sell these I think, if he has not got any left they sell them on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003337BLM/r ... Fstore.php

If polarity is reversed you just swap the live and neutral wires over.

Kev, which plug do you use to test? Can you use the one by the sink? Does the inverter not affect the results?

Cheers,

Chris

Snooper1012 said:
Kev, which plug do you use to test? Can you use the one by the sink? Does the inverter not affect the results?

Cheers,

Chris

It only fits in one socket as its UK 3 pin. Just plug your hook up lead in as normal then plug the tester in.
Worked a treat for us in Switzerland last year where we had a mixture of normal and reversed polarity.

Freeley said:
Snooper1012 said:

Cheers,

Chris

It only fits in one socket as its UK 3 pin. Just plug your hook up lead in as normal then plug the tester in.
Worked a treat for us in Switzerland last year where we had a mixture of normal and reversed polarity.

Hi freeley,

I've not got a three pin plug in my Cali?

Snooper1012 said:
Freeley said:
Snooper1012 said:

Cheers,

Chris

Hi freeley,

I've not got a three pin plug in my Cali?
Is yours not a UK spec cali then?
All UK calis should have a 3 pin socket on the end of the kitchen unit.

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Freeley said:

I'm a bit confused by this. A/C changes polarity about 50 times a second. Euro plugs can generally be plugged in either way around (indeed, I generally have one of the converters upside down for better cable routing when we are on hookup).

So I can't get my head around what a reversed polarity lead does? I'm guessing I've missed something daft. I have only had one cup of tea so far today.

dan

Just thought I'd mention that this is a common misconception as the neutral wire in household circuitry in the uk is also the earth, i.e. the earth is bonded to the neutral.