Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France in August

G

gatvol

We normally avoid school holidays like the plague, but circumstances have conspired against us this year.

Would we be mad to go to France in August without pre-booking everything?. We like to keep plans flexible so tend to head where the weather is good, we are happy to stay inland.

Thanks for any wisdom you might share

There are so many places to go, aires de camping cars , campingsites, wild camping , farmsites ,.... In France you always find a spot!
Not for me in July or august ....we are in the provence at the moment 35degrees celcius in the afthernoon already , nothing to do but lay down in the shade or in the swimming pool
Last weekend in the region of the ardeche same themp.
We never come here in july/ august( been there done that...never again) , we will be back in september though...easy whith brother in law living here....always a place to go to .
Best thing that time of year are mountiansites , much cooler

We've never had any problem getting in in August impromptu. Just take guide and phone ahead.

Yes it can be really hot in August, but that's a good thing isn't it?

We always go the last 2 weeks in August, it does seem to be quieter as a lot of French kids are back to school and British families see to like having a week at home before the kids go back. We get home literally the day before they start back.

Weather is generally excellant where we've been, although we did go to La Trinite Sur Mer a few years ago and the first week of the holiday it rained that heavy our Cabanon Biscaya flooded, but the second week was gorgeous.

I have to say I do like to pick a site and book. Which is a habit I need to get out off and just go with the flow ;)

Good luck with your planning

We're off from July 28th for a month and mostly doing France. It was fine last year as we went in June (for five weeks) but we're aware it will be a LOT busier this year. Will probably book a few sites ahead but the beauty of a Cali is being able to move on if/when needed - last year severe rain on the SW Coast meant an un-planned trip to Provence/the Ardeche where it was superb weather!

Same for us, 20 days in France from beginning of August. No hard plans, taking the tunnel and slowly moving down toward Brittany, probably. First big trip with the kids and Cali.... could be interesting ;)

Any recommendations for things to do/see (kids are 4 and 6) in Brittany would be appreciated.

We did a 2 week tour last year in August, round the South of France into Provence. I agree with the earlier post about timing - the last two weeks is definitely quieter once the French kids have gone back to school.

We didn't book anything in advance, but I did phone ahead from time to time to book something for that evening. The municipal sites seem to book up late in the day, so if you are planning to arrive late afternoon then I would advise booking the smaller sites. We had no trouble getting in, but a few of the sites we stayed on were full by the evening, and people were being turned away. Funnily enough, when it is raining the sites seem to fill up quicker - I guess people don't fancy an aire so much in bad weather.

You may be happy just to wing it, and you would almost certainly get away with that. As we were touring, rarely staying more than a couple of nights in one place, I did some research beforehand and took a list of possible sites for planned stops, in case it was busier than expected. In hindsight that was probably a bit unnecessary, but it did take the pressure off.

I will just add that I wouldn't take the Cali to the south of France in August again. Sleeping in a van in that heat is just no fun at all, even in the roof with all the 'windows' open. Much better up in the mountains.

Simon

Useful info Simon and John!
Just plotting our trip now - Santander, across to SW France then near Pau (friends live there), Provence and possibly Northern Italy (other friends have a house there!). Tempted by the Alps too; might venture for a night or two.

The Ardeche/Provence did get very warm last year even in June. At the same time there were floods around SW France/N Spain!

muttley said:
I will just add that I wouldn't take the Cali to the south of France in August again. Sleeping in a van in that heat is just no fun at all, even in the roof with all the 'windows' open. Much better up in the mountains.

Simon

100% agree with that Simon , it is no fun at all ... we were dreaming of air conditioned hotel rooms some nights when it did not go below 30 degrees. Alps are great in summer - warm during day and nice and cool at night.

Simon[/quote]

100% agree with that Simon , it is no fun at all ... we were dreaming of air conditioned hotel rooms some nights when it did not go below 30 degrees. Alps are great in summer - warm during day and nice and cool at night.[/quote]

+1 :thumb

Voges, Jura, Northern Alps. Quieter, cooler at night, more room on the campsites :cool:

To give an idea of what it's like out here in St-Didier (near the Ventoux)

image.jpg

Martin said:
100% agree with that Simon , it is no fun at all ... we were dreaming of air conditioned hotel rooms some nights when it did not go below 30 degrees. Alps are great in summer - warm during day and nice and cool at night.

We actually gave up for 2 nights in Antibes, and booked into a little hotel with A/C. That was bliss, but it did feel like cheating!

Simon

Hope your passport is in date !
Mine runs out 05/08/2014 so I shall not be going abroad soon !!

hotel california T5 said:

When was that?! We were near there last year; it got to 36 I think - even that was rather hot for us!

KernowLad said:
hotel california T5 said:

When was that?! We were near there last year; it got to 36 I think - even that was rather hot for us!

Last thueseday...
Today thursday 42degrees celcius in Beaumes de Venises
Tonight where back of to Grospieres (Ardeche) until the 20 of july , we where already last week , 35degrees in the afternoon

Just managed to secure the last (small) pitch at Pavillion Royale near Biarritz - fantastic site we stayed at last year. Right by the sea, great restaurant, good shop, nice pool, not too "Euro camp" style. But… the booking form has just come back and it's…

£70 a night… :eek: :eek: :eek:

KernowLad said:
Just managed to secure the last (small) pitch at Pavillion Royale near Biarritz - fantastic site we stayed at last year. Right by the sea, great restaurant, good shop, nice pool, not too "Euro camp" style. But… the booking form has just come back and it's…

You could stay in a hotel for that, we tend to stick with the non tourist sites but even they are increasing their prices and they all now charge a booking fee ! What is that all that about?

DoingSomethingCrazy said:
KernowLad said:

You could stay in a hotel for that, we tend to stick with the non tourist sites but even they are increasing their prices and they all now charge a booking fee ! What is all that about?

I noticed that too €25 just to book!!!

Forget the Restaurant.....it will be self catering if your paying £70 a night to park on grass......

It's only for four nights.
We will have a think...

argh you have me all worried now about the heat & site availability!

We're leaving Cornwall on the 27th July and heading down through France to my sister in Morzine before heading back across the South Coast then surfing our way back up the West Coast - coming home on 31 August!

Not planning on booking sites much in advance, but happy to pitch up on most sites really as long as they have loos (and showers every couple of nights at min!). Hopefully we'll find something though!!!

I don't handle heat too well though so I really hope that our heating system also does cooling! Perhaps I should look at getting a roll-out awning for the van though for shade in the daytime, not sure if one will attach though with the surf rack on the side of the hightop!

Is it really that bad? :S

callena said:
argh you have me all worried now about the heat & site availability!

We're leaving Cornwall on the 27th July and heading down through France to my sister in Morzine before heading back across the South Coast then surfing our way back up the West Coast - coming home on 31 August!

Not planning on booking sites much in advance, but happy to pitch up on most sites really as long as they have loos (and showers every couple of nights at min!). Hopefully we'll find something though!!!

I don't handle heat too well though so I really hope that our heating system also does cooling! Perhaps I should look at getting a roll-out awning for the van though for shade in the daytime, not sure if one will attach though with the surf rack on the side of the hightop!

Is it really that bad? :S

Wow - very similar plans!

We had a great time last year and it didn't get silly hot (35 degrees in the day in the Ardeche) so we didn't really suffer at all.

We found we used an outside double gas hob for pretty much all our cooking; it uses the same 907 bottle as the Cali which was handy in case one ran out.

Little outdoor folding chairs and a table were also used a lot for the kids.

Think we're similar to you - we don't need mega facilities, just a nice spot to camp. We very rarely used hookup too unless it was free.

Not decided on our route this year (the 27th for a month) but we might actually head more for NW Spain and Portugal to avoid the worst of the crowds and mega heat - we'll pop into France to see some friends though - they live near Biarritz.

Good luck with your plans and do shout if you need any pointers!

We joined the ACSI camping club before our trip down through France along the the north coast ans down towards Portugal last year. You get a guide of all the campsites registered with them and discount too, we just looked at sites along the way and stopped off when we wanted to, it includes Europe and uk sites well worth it!

image.jpg