Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
After finally getting my passport last year I am off to France this summer and I am
Wet behind the ears about travelling in Europe can someone please explain what I need to take with me :thumb

Your California :thumb

Cali packed as you wish, VW clip on headlight adjusters, Yourself's, Van documentation, UK health cards and travel insurance if you wish.....Passports....VW RAC breakdown cover ( am about to renew mine at £165 for 2 years )

Vicarious Book on French Aires

Vicarious ACSI book and card

Plus a debit card to get dosh from the machines...

That's it....enjoy....

BerndRos said:
Cali packed as you wish, VW clip on headlight adjusters, Yourself's, Van documentation, UK health cards and travel insurance if you wish.....Passports....VW RAC breakdown cover ( am about to renew mine at £165 for 2 years )

Vicarious Book on French Aires

Vicarious ACSI book and card

Plus a debit card to get dosh from the machines...

That's it....enjoy....
2 breathalizers
yellow jacket
set of bulbs
triangle

Thanks guys better get started :thumb

spare bulbs are not the law anymore. But the rest quoted is. Remember if you have sat nav, to turn off the speed cameras, as this is illegal now.

And be careful of mobile speed traps in northern France, I seem to have seen them on every trip recently.

spare bulbs are not the law anymore

Surprised not required any more. Still is a good idea, especially the H15 main/drl bulb.

If you wear glasses or contact lenses I believe you have to carry a second pair with you.
X

Kev, it is also the law to have flip flops and an umbrella in the van that are within reach without getting out the van. :thumb

Flip flops :laugh2 :laugh2 ooh no :cry: :cry: :cry:

Beware of the flip flops though - it is illegal to drive in them in Spain. Not sure about France.

Put your reflective jackets on the seat backs or chuck them onto the dashboard. If the gendarme can't see them, they are much more likely to stop you.

Italian rugby shirts are mandatory when travelling in France.

Also pack Speedo's.

On several sites we stayed at last year in France I was confined to the bench, as swimming shorts not allowed in the pool.

Do you just need a reflective jacket for the driver, or for the driver and all passengers?

I have driven through France countless times on the way to Belgium & the Netherlands, and have never bothered to take a jacket, but I am not going to tempt fate on our summer tour!

Simon

muttley said:
Do you just need a reflective jacket for the driver, or for the driver and all passengers?

I have driven through France countless times on the way to Belgium & the Netherlands, and have never bothered to take a jacket, but I am not going to tempt fate on our summer tour!

Simon

Legally just for the driver, but best have one for each person in the vehicle incase you all need to get out.

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
muttley said:

Simon

Legally just for the driver, but best have one for each person in the vehicle incase you all need to get out.

I thought it was law, one for each of the vehicle occupants

We live 6 months of the year in France (Languedoc Region). Planning to move here permanently next year.
All above advice great - We use the Municipal Campsites - The ones we have stayed at are brilliant!!
Advice is watch the lorries - They tend to "wander" !! Great news is they don't travel Saturday Afternoons or Sundays!!!
If you come across the Spanish Border into France expect to be stopped by the French Police looking for Cigarettes.....!!
Lovely villages to be explored - Great small Bars and Cafes... Basic French helps - They then try and speak English .... Always helps to meet half way....
Languedoc is a lovely region with splendid wine and towns - Private message if you want to come into the area - We have plenty of room including space for additionals VWs!!!
:D

Welcome to France! Breath test kits have been un available for months, now they are plentiful, but, the French have abandoned the law! As of last week it is no longer required to have one in your vehicle!.
Have a good trip.

FrenchChris said:
Welcome to France! Breath test kits have been un available for months, now they are plentiful, but, the French have abandoned the law! As of last week it is no longer required to have one in your vehicle!.
Have a good trip.

It's an interesting one that, see here;

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... -2012.html

What a grey area!

Polarity checker and reverser - so many sites with the old style hook ups seem to be reversed.