Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Touring France over Easter - Protest risks?

ah ok, then I refer to post #17 (and #16) put I put it here again:
Useful map that you can enlarge. Would be up to date.
No one has a crystal ball and can predict what may yet come. On various Belgian Facebook pages I read from 'no problem at all' to taking into account that some gas stations are closed, so refuel when you can. Happy travels!
Thank you @calibusje, those two maps relate only to fuel, I think, which is of course a concern (we plan to arrive in France with a full 70l tank and perhaps even take a further 20l in a can); but perhaps my bigger concern is blockages - I see in the alternative media (my preferred news source these days) quite a lot about road blocks (mainly around Paris, Marseilles and Bordeaux) and in the past the French fishermen have gone for the odd port blockade. Hence my thinking that perhaps Dunkirk might be less prone to civil disturbance than Calais (where we are booked currently).

If anyone is travelling via Calais or Dunkirk over the next couple of weeks it would be interesting to hear if there are any issues (other than fuel) on the peage routes to Switzerland - I suspect there will nothing problematic, but though I would ask.

The Main Stream Media is not reporting anything much about the civil protests in France, but the they are happening by all other accounts.

4 am too early for me. Have a good journey. We get our van serviced at Corner Garage in Shotley.
Thank you @Barbara; and Corner Garage looked up and noted (though we are currently in warranty).

Hello frome France
Ok, no panic, but France is France... So avoid cities is maybe a good solution. For example we plan to visit UK for 4 months with our Van, departure April 19th (yes!).
To avoid issues, and if needed, my idea is that from south-east France we can take the close road to Italy and then going north via Switserland, Germany and Belgium. We take the ferry in Roterdam for Hull, so but only if needed, not a lot of French road...
To be more precise, today a lot of stations around the South-East, where I live, are empty, and jerikans are forbiden.
Have a nice trip anyway !
Michel

Hello frome France
Ok, no panic, but France is France... So avoid cities is maybe a good solution. For example we plan to visit UK for 4 months with our Van, departure April 19th (yes!).
To avoid issues, and if needed, my idea is that from south-east France we can take the close road to Italy and then going north via Switserland, Germany and Belgium. We take the ferry in Roterdam for Hull, so but only if needed, not a lot of French road...
To be more precise, today a lot of stations around the South-East, where I live, are empty, and jerikans are forbiden.
Have a nice trip anyway !
Michel
Thank you Michel, very useful. If you are sufficiently concerned to have a non France route 'up your sleeve' then I think we should do too. With your 19 April departure, please do keep this string posted on what you find out and decide to do.

I have the impression that the French want rid of Macron but he will not budge: so that things are going get a little 1789:

1680207499509.png

Last edited:
Next big strike day in France is set as April 6th.

A day best not to be travelling.

Thank you @calibusje, those two maps relate only to fuel, I think, which is of course a concern (we plan to arrive in France with a full 70l tank and perhaps even take a further 20l in a can); but perhaps my bigger concern is blockages - I see in the alternative media (my preferred news source these days) quite a lot about road blocks (mainly around Paris, Marseilles and Bordeaux) and in the past the French fishermen have gone for the odd port blockade. Hence my thinking that perhaps Dunkirk might be less prone to civil disturbance than Calais (where we are booked currently).

If anyone is travelling via Calais or Dunkirk over the next couple of weeks it would be interesting to hear if there are any issues (other than fuel) on the peage routes to Switzerland - I suspect there will nothing problematic, but though I would ask.

The Main Stream Media is not reporting anything much about the civil protests in France, but the they are happening by all other accounts.
How much longer is it to drive to Switzerland via Germany and avoid the tolls and lazy French protestors who want to retire earlier than the rest of Europe.

How much longer is it to drive to Switzerland via Germany and avoid the tolls and lazy French protestors who want to retire earlier than the rest of Europe.
Good point, not much longer, perhaps a hour or two more from Calais/Dunkirk and very little from Hook of Holland: subject to en-route delays (worse in Germany); although I perhaps have more sympathy than you for the French protesters (probably because both they and I detest the Globalist Macron - I am all for Marine le Pen and her nationalism).

Just like with the STENA crossing, for 20 years or more my wife and I we have driven to Switzerland via Holland and Germany and avoided France because the service stations were inferior and there were toll charges. Last autumn we decided to give Dover-Calais a go and to drive through France and we were impressed by the quieter (also safer) roads and relaxed about paying for them (with our Fulli TAG). More recently when we drive through Germany, whilst the service stations were superior, there were always roadworks and the aggressive driving gradually increased.

Mind you I am 70 so our decision may be age/stress influenced.

Now, with the California, service stops are no longer an issue (both for refreshment and piddles), so it is France for us unless the protests are overwhelming.

I have booked flexi tickets for Calais & Dunkirk, and will await to see if either have issues close to departure and then cancel one (or worst case both!).

Don't forget you need a motorway vingnette to drive to Switserland (€ 42).
Thank you, noted. We have always bought them at the border from the Swiss uniformed guards. My wife, who is normally in the passenger seat always has mixture of fear and excitement as they swagger over with guns etc.. Hopefully that has not changed. Sometimes they offer to stick them on too, which is always a worry for pedants like me....will it be straight? It always has been, that is Switzerland for you.

On occasions the queue at Basel has been far shorter for those buying the vignette (though never the opposite) which is another bonus.

Good point, not much longer, perhaps a hour or two more from Calais/Dunkirk and very little from Hook of Holland: subject to en-route delays (worse in Germany); although I perhaps have more sympathy than you for the French protesters (probably because both they and I detest the Globalist Macron - I am all for Marine le Pen and her nationalism).

Just like with the STENA crossing, for 20 years or more my wife and I we have driven to Switzerland via Holland and Germany and avoided France because the service stations were inferior and there were toll charges. Last autumn we decided to give Dover-Calais a go and to drive through France and we were impressed by the quieter (also safer) roads and relaxed about paying for them (with our Fulli TAG). More recently when we drive through Germany, whilst the service stations were superior, there were always roadworks and the aggressive driving gradually increased.

Mind you I am 70 so our decision may be age/stress influenced.

Now, with the California, service stops are no longer an issue (both for refreshment and piddles), so it is France for us unless the protests are overwhelming.

I have booked flexi tickets for Calais & Dunkirk, and will await to see if either have issues close to departure and then cancel one (or worst case both!).
Suggestion to look at Dunkirk to Metz misses out part of France via Luxemburg where the fuel used to be cheap. I do like The quieter roads , I have not been though Belgium for 15 years, then it was OK, toll free but road surface not so good.

@Michel Deconinck are they forbidden only to fill up at a petrol station, or is it forbidden to carry a Jerry can at all in France?
I think he means that garages won’t let you fill jerrycans as supply is limited. There is no law against it.

We drove down last night and are just by the Spanish border, no sign of any trouble or shortages.

I think he means that garages won’t let you fill jerrycans as supply is limited. There is no law against it.

We drove down last night and are just by the Spanish border, no sign of any trouble or shortages.
I read elsewhere (though internet opinion not regulation sources) that Britany Ferries will only allow you a 5l jerrycan and French law restricts you to no more than 10l in a jerrycan(s).

Very glad to hear you had a smooth run and no shortages - thank you for than update 'en route', and wishing you a happy holiday @andyinluton .

I read elsewhere (though internet opinion not regulating sources) that Britany Ferries will only allow you a 5l jerrycan and French law restricts you to no more than 10l in a jerrycan(s).
Yes to BF restriction although not checked on whether actually have any. Taken 25ltr can of Diesel in the past.

I've filled a 20ltr (for mower) can at Supermarket in France with no issues, also seen French filling multiple cans.

Suggestion to look at Dunkirk to Metz misses out part of France via Luxemburg where the fuel used to be cheap. I do like The quieter roads , I have not been though Belgium for 15 years, then it was OK, toll free but road surface not so good.
Thank you, @Barbara, I have a set of alternative routes (escaping to the East), including yours, if my wife and I need it: though I am hoping it will be if anything a quieter and easier road than usual.

Last edited:
I have just driven from Le Lavandou (South of France) to Roscoff over the last 2 days. Whilst the occasional garage had one or two lanes closed within local towns and one station had run dry in Le Lavandou, there were no shortages at all along the motorways Toulon -Valence - Saint-Etienne - Bourges - Tours - Roscoff. Things may change of course and be different elsewhere in the country, but I think that the major routes are well supplied.,

I have just driven from Le Lavandou (South of France) to Roscoff over the last 2 days. Whilst the occasional garage had one or two lanes closed within local towns and one station had run dry in Le Lavandou, there were no shortages at all along the motorways Toulon -Valence - Saint-Etienne - Bourges - Tours - Roscoff. Things may change of course and be different elsewhere in the country, but I think that the major routes are well supplied.,
We love Le Lavandou, we have stayed in Campsites there and also in the Hotel California

As a side note how did you find Le Lavandou? Came across it by accident last year and spent a couple of nights celebrating my birthday.

Hi folks,

I am booked to travel to France on 8 April snaking my way to Switzerland to pick up my wife from her visit to a friend and then we are coming back via the French Alps making our way back to Dieppe over the course of a week.

I am a bit concerned about the escalating protest and riots, specifically road blocks and fuel station blockades. I am well traveled in France and speak the language but I think this is the worst I have seen the protests for many years.

Does anyone living or travelling over there has a perspective they can share? The last thing I want is to be 'camping' on either side of the channel on a highway because our French friends have blockaded the ports.

Thanks in advance
Just got back tonight from 6 nights in Avoriaz, apart from the news I have not seen anything to suggest you should be concerned about the protests. We left on Thursday and travelled to Beaune for a night and then on to Chateau Thierry for another night before getting on the le Chunnel later this afternoon, It was my first trip to France and have been impressed by how easy everything has been. Used mainly Toll roads that were so quiet, driving overall was so much more pleasurable than driving in the Uk.
430 miles to home in South Wales today was a breeze, with one stop so very much looking forward to planning our next trip.

Just got back tonight from 6 nights in Avoriaz, apart from the news I have not seen anything to suggest you should be concerned about the protests. We left on Thursday and travelled to Beaune for a night and then on to Chateau Thierry for another night before getting on the le Chunnel later this afternoon, It was my first trip to France and have been impressed by how easy everything has been. Used mainly Toll roads that were so quiet, driving overall was so much more pleasurable than driving in the Uk.
430 miles to home in South Wales today was a breeze, with one stop so very much looking forward to planning our next trip.
Thanks, @chrissieB, I take it fuel was not apparently a problem either?

True, it’s not illegal to carry fuel in a jerry can, but theoretically, if you cross a border with more than 10 liters, it is subject to customs duty. Unlikely they would enforce it though for such a small amount. There have been cases of people being prosecuted for filling up jerry cans in Luxembourg, where fuel is cheap, and taking it to France or Germany.