Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Touring France over Easter - Protest risks?

Renaissance-Man

Renaissance-Man

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi folks,

I am booked to travel to France on 8 April snaking my way to Switzerland to pick up my wife from her visit to a friend and then we are coming back via the French Alps making our way back to Dieppe over the course of a week.

I am a bit concerned about the escalating protest and riots, specifically road blocks and fuel station blockades. I am well traveled in France and speak the language but I think this is the worst I have seen the protests for many years.

Does anyone living or travelling over there has a perspective they can share? The last thing I want is to be 'camping' on either side of the channel on a highway because our French friends have blockaded the ports.

Thanks in advance

My wife and son have just driven to Morzine from Eurotunnel.

No issues at all, no delays or protests and plenty of fuel at each service station.

I'd say it's a bit like protests over here - mainly based in large cities and just best to keep out of them when they ongoing. For us we keep out of London on Saturday's now as there is always something kicking off.

Keep out of Paris or major cities and you'll be fine.

Bon chance et bon vacance!

I'd say it's a bit like protests over here - mainly based in large cities and just best to keep out of them when they ongoing. For us we keep out of London on Saturadays now as there is always something kicking off.

Keep out of Paris or major cities and you'll be fine.

Bon chance et bon vacance!
Merci! That sounds reassuring.

I’ll be en route tomorrow. Not at all concerned about the protests, just going to route around Paris. Biggest problem Ive got is the message from Brittany Ferries telling my ferry tomorrow night is cancelled due to weather…..o_O

I’ll be en route tomorrow. Not at all concerned about the protests, just going to route around Paris. Biggest problem Ive got is the message from Brittany Ferries telling my ferry tomorrow night is cancelled due to weather…..o_O
Ensure fuel tank is full before leaving UK and top up when possible (you are down to 1/2 tank).

On my recent visit there I noticed that there could be no fuel for a few days when waiting for the Tanker to arrive at filling stations. Reports of this getting more common.

There are also protests starting up about the banning of older vehicles, penalising the less affluent and rural areas..

I travelled through France during the Gilets Jaunes protests and there were people sitting on the toll booths, waving me through. Couldn't have paid the tolls if I wanted to.

Ensure fuel tank is full before leaving UK and top up when possible (you are down to 1/2 tank).
We are off to Spain tomorrow, am now thinking it's worth taking my 20 litre jerrycan just to give a bit more range. I think this weekend will be Ok, am more concerned about what it may be like in a couple of weeks time for the return leg. We have only 2 days to get back from Alicante & don't want to spend that queuing.

Likewise my wife and I are off shortly, we hope, through France to Switzerland and all in-situ feedback will be greatly appreciated.

These are all really helpful insights - thank you. I shall try and treat it like an additional part to the adventure. The rage and anger is not at tourists or campers so we should be OK. If need be we can come back via Switzerland, Germany and Belgium and whenever to Dieppe - worst case.

These are all really helpful insights - thank you. I shall try and treat it like an additional part to the adventure. The rage and anger is not at tourists or campers so we should be OK. If need be we can come back via Switzerland, Germany and Belgium and whenever to Dieppe - worst case.
Stena Line do Hook van Holland to Harwich, maybe worth keeping as an option.

We are off to Spain tomorrow, am now thinking it's worth taking my 20 litre jerrycan just to give a bit more range. I think this weekend will be Ok, am more concerned about what it may be like in a couple of weeks time for the return leg. We have only 2 days to get back from Alicante & don't want to spend that queuing.
This is a useful link showing where fuel stations are in France and Spain. You will also see that fuel is a lot cheaper in Spain than France. Alicante area sunning and warm today.

Useful map that you can enlarge. Would be up to date.
No one has a crystal ball and can predict what may yet come. On various Belgian Facebook pages I read from 'no problem at all' to taking into account that some gas stations are closed, so refuel when you can. Happy travels!

I would be interested to know if anyone sees any advantage between Dover-Calais (DFDS & P&O) and/or Dover-Dunkirk (DFDS) as a ferry crossing.

I would be interested to know if anyone sees any advantage between Dover-Calais (DFDS & P&O) and/or Dover-Dunkirk (DFDS) as a ferry crossing.
Just depends if the timings suit & where you want to be in France.

If the timing suits you, Dunkirk is smoother.

Looks like you are in Suffolk. Dover is a pain the Dartford crossing in the way have you considered Harwich.

Looks like you are in Suffolk. Dover is a pain the Dartford crossing in the way have you considered Harwich.
Yes, I am in Felixstowe in the seafront and we watch the STENA ferry every morning and evening, and for almost 20 years we have always taken it from Harwich (we can see the port but it is a 40 minute drive round the Orwell). Recently we found standards had dropped and our cabin was rather rank. So for a change we tried P&O Dover-Calais last autumn and found it quicker very convenient: but then we took a 7:00am boat so we were crossing Dartford at around 4:00am which was no hassle.

Last edited:
Just depends if the timings suit & where you want to be in France.
If the timing suits you, Dunkirk is smoother.
Thank you. I was thinking in particular in the context of the anti-macron protests going in and whether one of the two might be more likely to have a blockade or other disturbances. Dunkirk is closer to Belgium for an an escape: though there is only a little in it.

Yes, I am in Felixstowe in the seafront and we watch the STENA ferry every morning and evening, and for almost 20 years we have always taken it from Harwich (we can see the port but it is a 40 minute drive round the Orwell). Recently we found standards had dropped and our cavin was rather rank. So for a change we tried P&O Dover-Calais last autumn and found it quicker very convenient: but then we took a 7:00am boat so we were crossing Dartford at around 4:00am which was no hassle.
4 am too early for me. Have a good journey. We get our van serviced at Corner Garage in Shotley.

Thank you. I was thinking in particular in the context of the anti-macron protests going in and whether one of the two might be more likely to have a blockade or other disturbances. Dunkirk is closer to Belgium for an an escape: though there is only a little in it.
ah ok, then I refer to post #17 (and #16) put I put it here again:
Useful map that you can enlarge. Would be up to date.
No one has a crystal ball and can predict what may yet come. On various Belgian Facebook pages I read from 'no problem at all' to taking into account that some gas stations are closed, so refuel when you can. Happy travels!