Fresh water tank leaking?

CaliforniaSeb

CaliforniaSeb

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi, Just went to fill the water tank on our new van and it is leaking out? Anyone seen this before!!!

20240804_162123.jpg

20240804_162128.jpg

20240804_162215.jpg

Valve in rear wardrobe is likely open.

Allows you to drain the water tank without going through the grey water tank.

Look under bottom shelf in rear wardrobe. Left hand side

Valve in rear wardrobe is likely open.

Allows you to drain the water tank without going through the grey water tank.

Look under bottom shelf in rear wardrobe. Left hand side
Many thanks. The red lever wasn't set to 100% closed. Had no idea what that was for.

Hmm. I've got exactly the same problem but my valve is defo 100% closed. Brand new van too.

No idea what that is.

*reaches for manual…

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Can’t find that in the manual and still no idea what it is.
I don’t understand how this could drain the fresh water tank though?

* Sorry Quote seems to be acting weird in Tapatalk.

Hmm. I've got exactly the same problem but my valve is defo 100% closed. Brand new van too.
I thought mine was 100 percent closed after silent running kindly pointed me in the right direction. However I had to force it an extra mm right into the plastic groove.

Going to have to read the manual!

Ah. I’ve just been back out and managed to move the valve by about one mm. It seems to be holding water now!

Weird isn't it? 1mm and the water flows out like in my photos!. This must be a slight fault.

Last edited:
Apologies,temporarysecretary pointed me in the right direction. It's been a long day and campervan issues were the last thing I needed.

On this topic, I emptied the fresh tank yesterday. There was no single stream of water like a tap, instead it just appeared to dribble out from several areas of the undertray!
This can’t be correct can it?

IMG_6285.jpeg

On this topic, I emptied the fresh tank yesterday. There was no single stream of water like a tap, instead it just appeared to dribble out from several areas of the undertray!
This can’t be correct can it?

View attachment 127408
Yes, that's it.
Opens onto undertray which stops muck getting to the combined water tank outlet and gas dropout.
Where it drains off the undertray depends on vehicle position.

Have a new 6.1 Ocean, tank last 2-3 days after first fill. Could not have used more than 10 litres in the time.

We’re camping in France. I just filled the fresh water tank and I can see water running out, despite valve being cranked as hard as possible closed. Do not think I could turn it harder without snapping it off. The water is running out not nearly as fast as if I open the valve, but it’s running, not dripping. Freshwater gauge shows almost 1/2 empty within 10 minutes.

Does it help to remove that nut and reposition the handle? I don’t have any tools on me but wondering if there is a solution short of bringing it to a dealer. It won’t turn any more from its current position.

Metal is biting into the plastic because of having been turned so hard. This is why it can’t turn more. Backing it off 1, 2, 3 etc mm doesn’t help.

It’s ridiculous that on a £75k vehicle I have to do this sort of desnagging. This is bad design and bad fabrication.

IMG_6078.jpeg

Turns out if I position the lever perpendicular to the van, it seems to not leak. This is well back from the ‘close’ position, because the water tank was not installed square to the van. As I said, it’s both bad design and bad installation (a good design wouldn’t hinge on the water tank being installed correctly).

Turns out if I position the lever perpendicular to the van, it seems to not leak. This is well back from the ‘close’ position, because the water tank was not installed square to the van. As I said, it’s both bad design and bad installation (a good design wouldn’t hinge on the water tank being installed correctly).
If you think how a valve likes this works, it absolutely shouldn’t need force to close, it’s purely positional. Good to hear you’ve found a fix, the handle hasn’t been fitted square!

If you think how a valve likes this works, it absolutely shouldn’t need force to close, it’s purely positional. Good to hear you’ve found a fix, the handle hasn’t been fitted square!
yes, that makes sense. I was thinking about the other comments upthread and/or in other threads, which tended to suggest the right position required really pushing the handle hard. (This sort of makes sense, in that shutting a ball valve shouldn't be similar to spinning a roulette wheel.)

Am a bit grumpy with VW this afternoon because in addition to the above problem, I just spent an hour wrestling with the rear seat, which refused to move (I normally find it super easy to slide, but it was absolutely locked in position. I had to remove the board at the back and do all kinds of shenanigans to get it working. This is apparently not unheard of, from reading the forum, which is crazy when you think about how a seat is an essential piece of safety equipment and a family could be stranded in the middle of nowhere with a bed that won't turn into the seat, even on a brand new vehicle.

Back