Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge on a 3amp EHU

A

AJQ

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi, we’re booked to visit a campsite in a few weeks that only has a 3amp EHU, I’m wondering if we’ll be able to run the fridge ok on it? We have a 2019 ocean.
Many thanks

You should have no problems at all. I’ve done some testing on my 2019 Ocean and power consumption varies quite a bit but the most I have measured was 282W which is just over one amp. It seems to limit itself because that was with the fridge off, when I turned the fridge on it went down to 251W, with a 1 amp draw from the mains. This is just for the car systems of course with nothing plugged in either of the power sockets.

Reactions: AJQ
Depends on the wattage of the frigerator. Watts = amps x volts. So assuming 240v and then 3 amps the max Watts one can draw is 720 Watts.

Hi, we’re booked to visit a campsite in a few weeks that only has a 3amp EHU, I’m wondering if we’ll be able to run the fridge ok on it? We have a 2019 ocean.
Many thanks
Just thinking that the fridge runs off 12 volts via the batteries. The EHU would re-charge the batteries via the charger. So, even if the fridge took 4 amps, should only mean that the batteries discharge slightly faster than the re-charge rate??

Just thinking that the fridge runs off 12 volts via the batteries. The EHU would re-charge the batteries via the charger. So, even if the fridge took 4 amps, should only mean that the batteries discharge slightly faster than the re-charge rate??
Thank you, that’s really helpful, I’m not great at electrics but I know that plugging anything with a high wattage into the three pin socket would probably trip the EHU bollard. So it’s really helpful to understand the way the fridge takes its power won’t do that!

Thank you, that’s really helpful, I’m not great at electrics but I know that plugging anything with a high wattage into the three pin socket would probably trip the EHU bollard. So it’s really helpful to understand the way the fridge takes its power won’t do that!
You'll be absolutely fine running all the Camping equipment , fridge, lights, 12v sockets for charging phones etc, even the Parking Heater.
The fridge and Parking Heater are episodic in their power requirements so a 3amp mains hookup will be more than adequate to keep the Leisure batteries fully charged.
You only have to be aware that the kitchen mains socket would only be able to power a 500w appliance in conjunction with the Leisure Batteries charger.

Sorry this isn’t quite right. The fridge does run off 12V via the batteries, but if the fridge draws 4A at 12V that bears no relationship with the 3A at 240V you can draw from hook up. So even with the fridge running there is ample power coming in from the mains to charge the batteries too.

Sorry this isn’t quite right. The fridge does run off 12V via the batteries, but if the fridge draws 4A at 12V that bears no relationship with the 3A at 240V you can draw from hook up. So even with the fridge running there is ample power coming in from the mains to charge the batteries too.
Ah, yes, indeed - good point!

As mentioned above, v Volts x I amps = w Watts

Mains 240v x 3 amps = 720 Watts

Leisure Circuit 12v x 60 amps = 720 Watts

You will never be using 60 amps from the Leisure Batteries, more like an average of 10 amps/hr or substantially less running Fridge,Parking Heater, lights and charging electronics.

Thanks everyone, we'll steer clear of using the electric kettle but apart from that we're good to go. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

If this is in England then I’m pretty sure you or someone has their info wrong.

A 3A supply is not possible unless the electrical installation is extremely unusual/against regulation. 6A is the smallest common breaker.

Agree, although it would be trivial to put together something after the circuit breaker that would switch a relay to limit the current. A reprogrammed sonoff device for instance.

If it is only 3A then the inrush current of the charger unit will probably pop the fuse/breaker.

If it is only 3A then the inrush current of the charger unit will probably pop the fuse/breaker.
As you pointed out the chance of a CB doing the job is minimal. Something like this https://itead.cc/product/sonoff-pow-elite-smart-power-meter-switch/

Is easily reprogrammed to respond to a moving average of load over a selectable time period.

It's not speculation on my part I actually have many of these doing load shedding on a 3rd world solar project. Reprogramming them is trivial and they cost peanuts.

The Cali looks to have electronics which limit total consumption, I’ve never measured much over 1A and didn’t notice any switch on surge. Also circuits and breakers are designed to allow for inrush current without tripping so I doubt there would be any problems using. 3A supply.

Hi, just thought I'd add an update now that we've been to the campsite to say everything worked fine with the 3amp EHU - fridge, lights, charging phones etc. We didn't use the electric kettle and when we left our battery was 100%. I found it very helpful reading everyone's advice here, just peace of mind really. The site was Pencarnon Farm in Pembrokeshire and we really liked it - on the coast path with a small beach, near to Whitesands, it was lovely, I'd definitely recommend.

IMG_20220920_095508308_HDR.jpg

Did you notice how they were keeping it to 3A?

The whole shabang is probs hung off a plug with a 3A fuse! I'm not convinced the OP would know what to look for to answer that Q.

Did you notice how they were keeping it to 3A?
I'm not convinced I'd know what to look for either! There were about 5 13amp EHUs at the top of the field we were in, and about 8 of the 3amp ones along the other hedges. But I wouldn't have a clue how they did it, I was just happy it all worked, and happy with the views and the sunshine.