Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Removal

T

TheSmiths

VIP Member
Hi there.

I see that some members - Camper-x etc.. - have tackled the Cali fridge task previously via some of the threads on this site.

I need to do the same thing.
I had a go tonight, but wasn't sure I could just lift it out - so I stopped.

I found 6 bolts retaining bolts on the short side of the box - 3 under hob and 3 in wardrobe.
I could disconnect the wiring looms ok within the cupboard.

I managed to wiggle the fridge box up about 8 inches or so, but it didn't look like it would fit out before I run out of headroom (I had the roof down, which probably was a mistake I realize now - with the roof up there is probably enough room).

But the curvature of the window etc.. looked like it may jam the upward progress of the fridge.
Anyway, I backed off and thought I'd check this site before going on.

It may be a tight fit, but if you raise up the roof, and wiggle it about, are you able to squeeze out the fridge with the kitchen area left insitu ?
I'm hoping you can, as dismantling the whole kitchen are looks a nightmare - as it's full of pots and pans etc..

Reason for asking is that our fridge is dead.
The penguin diagnostics video are useful to indicate why - www.penguinfrigo.co.uk

But alas the compressor controller has 5 flashes on the diagnosis indicator, which means it's probably burnt out, and something else in the cooling circuit has probably caused it. Which also needs fixing.

So not sure yet what to do about that, but the whole thing needs to come out to take the next diagnosis steps.

Craig.

Hi there.

I see that some members - Camper-x etc.. - have tackled the Cali fridge task previously via some of the threads on this site.

I found 6 bolts retaining bolts on the short side of the box - 3 under hob and 3 in wardrobe.

I managed to wiggle the fridge box up about 8 inches or so, but it didn't look like it would fit out before I run out of headroom (I had the roof down, which probably was a mistake I realize now - with the roof up there is probably enough room).

But the curvature of the window etc.. looked like it may jam the upward progress of the fridge.

It may be a tight fit, but if you raise up the roof, and wiggle it about, are you able to squeeze out the fridge with the kitchen area left insitu ?
I'm hoping you can, as dismantling the whole kitchen are looks a nightmare - as it's full of pots and pans etc..

The penguin diagnostics video are useful to indicate why - www.penguinfrigo.co.uk

But alas the compressor controller has 5 flashes on the diagnosis indicator, which means it's probably burnt out, and something else in the cooling circuit has probably caused it. Which also needs fixing.

So not sure yet what to do about that, but the whole thing needs to come out to take the next diagnosis steps.

Craig.
A little hint as to which Model/year of vehicle would help.

If it is a California MY 2004-2014:

Raise the roof.
Remove lid. Undo screws x3 from right side and from left side (total 6 screws).
(If 2006 or older, then you have to remove the sink for access to the three screws).
Undo electric connections underneath.
Pull the fridge out.

If it is a California MY 2004-2014:

Raise the roof.
Remove lid. Undo screws x3 from right side and from left side (total 6 screws).
(If 2006 or older, then you have to remove the sink for access to the three screws).
Undo electric connections underneath.
Pull the fridge out.
I have an issue with my fridge not being level in relation to the glass top. It’s lower on the sink side such that the seal doesn’t make contact. Do you know if there is any adjustment on the fridge bracket that the 3 screws go into?

Started a new thread.

Last edited:
I have an issue with my fridge not being level in relation to the glass top. It’s lower on the sink side such that the seal doesn’t make contact. Do you know if there is any adjustment on the fridge bracket that the 3 screws go into?

Started a new thread.
When I had my fridge out I remember that the bolt holes were very snug, not to say if you slacken the 6 retaining bolts off a little you may be able to level things, are you sure the sink is snugged down on the left

When I had my fridge out I remember that the bolt holes were very snug, not to say if you slacken the 6 retaining bolts off a little you may be able to level things, are you sure the sink is snugged down on the left
I did take a couple of the bolts out and as you say they’re very snug and with no up/down adjustment. I’m not quite sure what you mean “are you sure the sink is snugged down on the left“ but it has got me thinking as to whether the panel the fridge bolts to is somehow lower in relation the entire kitchenette than it should be. Will have a look to see how it’s all constructed and as to whether it’s possible the panel has somehow dropped.

Yes, raise the roof!

One other tip: find something, a log or something, of the right size to fit under the fridge when you loosen it, so that it doesn't 'sink' after you have removed the last screw. Also very handy to have this in place when you replace the fridge, to set the fridge on so the screw holes are level again.

I did take a couple of the bolts out and as you say they’re very snug and with no up/down adjustment. I’m not quite sure what you mean “are you sure the sink is snugged down on the left“ but it has got me thinking as to whether the panel the fridge bolts to is somehow lower in relation the entire kitchenette than it should be. Will have a look to see how it’s all constructed and as to whether it’s possible the panel has somehow dropped.
Lol, Just noticed your user name, so your fridge could be skewif
What I was trying to say is do you think it’s definitely the fridge that’s not level or could it be the sink/gas burner unit sitting wrong,
I seem to remember when i was refitting my kitchen top after a fridge remove/install that the black seal between the fridge/kitchen needed gently manipulatein to make things sit level.

Hi there.

Craig.
Is it not possible to access the base of the fridge without removing it? The controller is on the bottom and easy to swap out.

Hi does anyone know how to remove the fridge from a 1994 westgate California club
Is there a simple way please !!
There has to be a knack.
Cheers
Bogie

Hi does anyone know how to remove the fridge from a 1994 westgate California club
Is there a simple way please !!
There has to be a knack.
Cheers
Bogie
Any help?

refrigerator - Campmob. (Typ2/Transp./LT)(CAMP) [EUROPA 1994 year]

-  -

part codetitlei
refrigerator
1-4no longer available
5701 070 504 Cdoor seal
6701 070 507 Brefrigerator lid
7701 070 507 spreader rivet
8-11no longer available
12701 070 505 temperature sensor
13701 070 503 control unit for cooler/ refrigerator
14701 070 504 fan
15no longer available
16701 070 128 Bsealing plate
17no longer available
18701 070 510 air filter
19no longer available
20N 0139755oval head panel screw

@the Smiths
I did a write up and I uploaded it to the forum, although I am no longer credited with the article

There is a knack, I’ve done it several times, if only I could recall how?

Ok, it comes out from below not above as you may expect.

Firstly push the bench seat as far rearwards as you can. Open the left hand cupboard door below the cooker.
Peer inside at the where the door hinges are fixed. You’ll see three additional screws holding the fridge panel in place. Remove these.

Now push the bench seat as far forward as you can.
Working in the rear remove the small grey caps from the fridge panel and take out the screws. Remove the panel. Once removed, take off the small associated angle brackets.

Now remove the battery charger from underneath the fridge. The fridge control wiring is included in this.

Next you need to remove the fridge support bracket on the left hand side I think. This is simply bolted through to the cupboard.

I think that’s is. The unit will now manoeuvre down and out with a bit of juggling back and forth.

I’m sure I posted a“ how to” thread on here once upon a time.

Good luck.

Oh, you may also need to release the split charge relay from its mount underneath the fridge. Very simple but do take care as the connections are live to the battery so wrap a rag around it and tuck it out of the way.

There is a knack, I’ve done it several times, if only I could recall how?

Ok, it comes out from below not above as you may expect.

Firstly push the bench seat as far rearwards as you can. Open the left hand cupboard door below the cooker.
Peer inside at the where the door hinges are fixed. You’ll see three additional screws holding the fridge panel in place. Remove these.

Now push the bench seat as far forward as you can.
Working in the rear remove the small grey caps from the fridge panel and take out the screws. Remove the panel. Once removed, take off the small associated angle brackets.

Now remove the battery charger from underneath the fridge. The fridge control wiring is included in this.

Next you need to remove the fridge support bracket on the left hand side I think. This is simply bolted through to the cupboard.

I think that’s is. The unit will now manoeuvre down and out with a bit of juggling back and forth.

I’m sure I posted a“ how to” thread on here once upon a time.

Good luck.
Thankyou for your comment but with it being a rear kitchen it must pull out from the back and it also looks like it's on rails is this what you're explaining?
Sorry if I sound a bit thick but it's all new to me.

Oops. My bad got the model wrong.

It might be interesting if you post a picture of your kitchen unit, so we all know what it looks like?

Did you get the photographs as I'm not sure they went??
No.
Compose a new reply. Before posting click on “ Attaché Files “, select the photos and then when loaded click on each one to display in your reply and then click on “ Post Reply “.

Ok will try that thanks
What it is the fridge has never worked since I've had the van and a mate of mine said it could be the fuse on the fridge but need to get it out to check.15872209507256735568654206789306.jpg

15872218524586101010719557998241.jpg

15872219270407459257066180627661.jpg

Hi does anyone know how to remove the fridge from the rear of a hightop VW westfalia California club t4 1i994 model, is there something you have to do underneath the van?
Any comment will be appreciated.
Thankyou
Bogie.

Come on, at least give us a clue and some half decent photos.
Does the door come off?
Can you see any fixings anywhere?

Work with us!

.ok rather than remove the fridge is there a fuse in there that could cause the problem this is how it looks at the moment.
Cheers.

My first guess is the control box has gone. There is no fuse inside the guts of the fridge.

From the battery charger, (the black box in the top left compartment in your photo) there is a small loom of wiring going to the fridge.
This feeds the control box. It’s not serviceable you just buy a replacement from Penguin.

Can you remove the rectangular white panel on the rear of the fridge?