Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From 5 to 2...

f2b05ccb04d58240ec418c89d1cb3332.jpg

No this is not Camp Danica...
We drove to Camp Danica (had some traffic around Bled - it‘s summer time) but they were fully booked (is this an English word?) and asked us to show again tomorrow at 10 o‘clock.
We didn‘t want to spend an night on a parking or in a hotel so we drove to Camp Špik between Karawanken Tunnel and Kranjska Gora. Lovely place - also crowded bit we found a spot (picture above) and I hope I get the chance to take some more pictures tomorrow.
So far: Nicly renovated washing block (2x) some various pitches on grass between trees and some on gravel, a mini market and a bar.
For the kids a great playground in the centre with a mini zippline and some climbing elements.

Last edited:
Agree, never near that in France riviera or Italy coastline. For us the main reason to go to Croatia is out if it is even more expensive.

I do not know the prices in Italy or France. I guess it all depends on the pitch categorie? And I guess you got better prices when booked in advanced?
We‘re going to stay another night here in Camp Špik to rest and take a ride with our bicycles (hardly uswd them at the coast:/)
Here are some more pictures:
36dec4ec2ec49f6ba053ac84284808f7.jpg

View in direction South/Triglav
ffcbdb82b64bbb7a358e5af7a0454b51.jpg

Playground (open 8 am - 9 pm)
e7a362f98e2f2987a68811397f9030bb.jpg

c65368b47e3f115301e7277985fe5bcb.jpg

Washing facilities/laundry
f33f27c4a3ed4d287d31654f086b0919.jpg

bfd49ee5462e2a4a2ed3ce77baaad8af.jpg
a24ea141f1c8f5bc84ec73c3d90caead.jpg

Last edited:
I have always struggled with why go to Croatia when there is Italy and France with its good food, nice beaches, mountains etc, especially since it is also closer? I thought one reason is price. Our last stay in Liguria Italy in a small town called Levanto near Cinque Terre was for three nights 40€/night for van + 4 people. Near the beach and city centre. Good restaurant, hot water for dishes etc, no booking in advance.
Now my rambling stops so you can continue your excellent report.

I have always struggled with why go to Croatia when there is Italy and France with its good food, nice beaches, mountains etc, especially since it is also closer? I thought one reason is price. Our last stay in Liguria Italy in a small town called Levanto near Cinque Terre was for three nights 40€/night for van + 4 people. Near the beach and city centre. Good restaurant, hot water for dishes etc, no booking in advance.
Of our whole year away camping in our Cali I think that we got the best value in Croatia.

A 5* campsite on a cheap pitch.

Superb sparkling clean washrooms.

Swimming pool and water park.

Choice of beaches including a nudist beach if that’s your thing.

Kids club 9-12 and 2-5 where you can leave your children.

Miles and miles of dog walking woodland.

Bar, cafe, shop, restaurant.

Town within walking distance along the coast.

€21 per night + tourist tax for two adults, two children and a dog - off season with an ACSI Card.

Now I understand that this might not be everyone’s ideal type of campsite, but for us coming towards the end of our year travelling it was excellent value and gave us a welcome and unexpected break - especially with 6 hours a day of childcare included.

That‘s not rambling - just a great input and keeps us thinking and planning for our next vacation (beginning of October). Thanks for thatI might come back to you for the site name as we love Italy (people, food and landscape). I def want to visit Finale Ligure once (for biking&shutteling).

Of our whole year away camping in our Cali I think that we got the best value in Croatia.

A 5* campsite on a cheap pitch.

Superb sparkling clean washrooms.

Swimming pool and water park.

Choice of beaches including a nudist beach if that’s your thing.

Kids club 9-12 and 2-5 where you can leave your children.

Miles and miles of dog walking woodland.

Bar, cafe, shop, restaurant.

Town within walking distance along the coast.

€21 per night + tourist tax for two adults, two children and a dog - off season with an ACSI Card.

Now I understand that this might not be everyone’s ideal type of campsite, but for us coming towards the end of our year travelling it was excellent value and gave us a welcome and unexpected break - especially with 6 hours a day of childcare included.

Thanks for that recommondation! We were unsure if we want to stay with „them“/visit Krk. We decided to keep travel distance as short as possible this time however I def want to show my family the beauty of the Island

Today we took it easy: Took our bikes and rode along the tiver Sava to Kranjska Gora for coffee and cake.
36e10d18f998bdb4329c10a5405ae395.jpg

Rajaka Ptica: Nice coffee shop with chocolat
03fa5acf307841bc95dd05d76a353d61.jpg

Kranjska Gora is famous for hiking and the IXS Downhill cup/bike park. The town itself has got some lovely restaurants and hotels. Of course some parts are made for visitors however we enjoyed it. Bicycle path was great
Afterwards we had to rush back home as we heard thunder in the distance. And we arrived home safe however we could just pack away the Thule as it starts pouring!
11d383d92c0169e3b0e1f7633a734735.jpg

some sort of a pool next to us:
a18a2f39545063eb8c676646f26c75e5.jpg

a0422b238648528337a421f804143cf8.jpg

Last edited:
Made me smile reading this. We were at Camp Spik two weeks ago! Like you we were wanting to stay at Bohinj, but found it full. We stayed a total of five nights, a stunning place to visit. There is a great Pizzeria/Restaurant five minutes walk from the campsite in Gozd Martuljek. The area around Camp Spik is a walkers and cyclists paradise with some lovely places to visit. We have two small kids and a dog and we found the prices a little steep compared to others in Slovenia, however, we were prepared to pay them given the immaculate facilities and stunning area.

Kranjska Gora is also the start of the majestic 1600m Vrisic pass that goes over to the head of the Soca Valley, not a road for the faint hearted! Slovenia is a wonderful place that keeps drawing us back year after year, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your adventures.

IMG_20190720_145212240.jpg

IMG_20190718_153216906.jpg

IMG_20190720_173610552.jpg

Made me smile reading this. We were at Camp Spik two weeks ago! Like you we were wanting to stay at Bohinj, but found it full. We stayed a total of five nights, a stunning place to visit. There is a great Pizzeria/Restaurant five minutes walk from the campsite in Gozd Martuljek. The area around Camp Spik is a walkers and cyclists paradise with some lovely places to visit. We have two small kids and a dog and we found the prices a little steep compared to others in Slovenia, however, we were prepared to pay them given the immaculate facilities and stunning area.

Kranjska Gora is also the start of the majestic 1600m Vrisic pass that goes over to the head of the Soca Valley, not a road for the faint hearted! Slovenia is a wonderful place that keeps drawing us back year after year, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your adventures.

View attachment 48413

View attachment 48414

View attachment 48415

Thanks for sharing your pictures&experiences!
The pass into the Soča Valley is stunning: Had the chance to drive it from each side once and we are def coming back.
Camp Špik: 2 adults/2 nights: € ~79.-.

There are two Via Ferratas just behind the camp - if that's your thing. Also hiking on the other side of the road, you can visit Martuljek waterfalls (2) - one pictured on @Chriswoody picture.
Lake Jasna in Kranjska Gora is worth a swim if you like chilly water. The cycling path leads over the border, I have no idea how far, but far.
A nice bike ride also leads just over the border and under mount Mangart - to Laghi del Fusine. Sooo pretty - worth a short visit as well.

We had to leave lovely Slovenia for this time and we drove to Linz - Felbertauern - Kitzbühl - Innsbruck - Natternsee
182a3e7e40895eadd53b552e7ad68324.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ca...0x479d6a55989b38b9:0xe1ca558324357b4c!3e0!5i2

It was a great trip and we didn‘t have any traffic until Linz however everything went well, as said manytimes before, the California Van is great to drive and we could just do the distance non-stopp.
We were sad to leave Slovenia. We were again impressed by the nature, the friendly people, delicious food and the great camping places (for example most sites have free wifi - I‘ll come back to that soon).

So we arrived in Austria in Natterer See, an award winning site and were curious what we‘ll see and get. We booked a pitch yesterday (they only had 1 „Luxury Lake side pitch“) and were happy we did so.
The Camping offers around 210 spaces for tents, MH, Vans and big Liners. They offer a kids programme, a lake with some toys to play with, a restaurant and a shuttel bus to Innsbruck. Nice bathrooms and mini market with vegetables, local meat and bread.

Lakeview from the passengerseat.
b9cbf8f01223a743a8e08bc2fc21e0fc.jpg

Washing facilities are in the same building as the reception
a50cf95559c566a313dbabf33338c945.jpg

5170ed7c8179aba0b8775727b7c1b3e6.jpg

69af8411434e8f391ac290669621df6e.jpg

View from the reception/washing room entrence (spot the van)
946cdd0636a0f8218c4d51f2a06ef573.jpg

Waterslide
f842738996797450469f7aa5d0b2a269.jpg

Restaurant with some nice pizzas
13b3a5a093acc2af2d573e0a5567dcdc.jpg

Miniature CaraVans in the reception
3e297723a3d1f486ecc2d55182d97755.jpg

Last edited:
Comparing prices:
€ 65.80 for the 3 of us (and no free wifi). We hope weather gets better tomorrow however our son enjoyed it anyway
151527205251359bacfbbaeddf5fdc75.jpg

58157430f6abdc5913f0748a11aa7b69.jpg

IMO this place is great for kids from 3 - teenagers

Comparing prices:
€ 65.80 for the 3 of us (and no free wifi). We hope weather gets better tomorrow however our son enjoyed it anyway
151527205251359bacfbbaeddf5fdc75.jpg

58157430f6abdc5913f0748a11aa7b69.jpg

IMO this place is great for kids from 3 - teenagers
Wow, that is still a bit expensive for us europeans, did you have to pay
more for the roof topper :)
Slovenia is a winner for us too, we've done some of those expensive Austrian
sites and had food (good food) and drinks, and leave the next day and
realise we've spent about 150€ having a stopover.
I think Slovenia has the coldest rivers in the world:D
like you say, great people, food,and camping.

Have been to Mauriac this july. That is central France, in the Cantal.
Been to the camping Le Val Saint Jean. They accept ACSI, even in summertime. So it was € 17 per night. Free WiFi, free swimming pool, close to a very small lake. Close to a lot to see and do in the surroundings.

Wow, that is still a bit expensive for us europeans, did you have to pay
more for the roof topper :)
Slovenia is a winner for us too, we've done some of those expensive Austrian
sites and had food (good food) and drinks, and leave the next day and
realise we've spent about 150€ having a stopover.
I think Slovenia has the coldest rivers in the world:D
like you say, great people, food,and camping.

Same here - This spot is (unfortunately) just a stopover on our way home (2xpizza €22.-). However it‘s nice here, something new to us and we‘re on vacation (and to be honest: Switzerland is far more expensive -not the vignette - I am not going to calculate that again here, because it is cheap/not free as in Germany but less than Italy, Slovenia, Croatia and France )

The topper is included and a free gift because it raines since we arrived here

Have been to Mauriac this july. That is central France, in the Cantal.
Been to the camping Le Val Saint Jean. They accept ACSI, even in summertime. So it was € 17 per night. Free WiFi, free swimming pool, close to a very small lake. Close to a lot to see and do in the surroundings.

Sounds perfect! I might come back to you soon for our October vacations Thanks a lot!

Any time!

Oh, could you let me know how the weather will be in the last 2 weeks of july of 2020? I can't wait to go back to Switzerland in summertime.
This year, the weather seemed not to be that good, so I chose for central France. But I heard it turned out to be quite good?

Any time!

Oh, could you let me know how the weather will be in the last 2 weeks of july of 2020? I can't wait to go back to Switzerland in summertime.
This year, the weather seemed not to be that good, so I chose for central France. But I heard it turned out to be quite good?

@SimonMc was with Felix in Switzerland the last few July weeks. He can tell you more

In Central Switzerland it was pretty warm (around 30-35 Celcius) and we also had some rain and storm. But all in all July was very warm

So back home to unpack, wash, pack, go for two days to work (wife)/one day (me), decide where to go, weather check, pack the van again (this time we take less - we try. Bikes stay at home. Oh it‘s rainig so we need more...).

In between cleaned the bike shed:
1b342173f86db70e09572fd7b0d0a5fc.jpg

Manage to get hit by a flying pylon from a truck (he didn’t noticed)
a01fa691539fbff5da2aea710f746d1a.jpg
c67ef6c0dd28ffa5b57efe3f79a74b47.jpg
and went to check to my VW Commercial Center. However look forward to start again tomorrow and hopfully our son doesn‘t get some toothache/fever again. So keep you updated where we‘re heading!

EDIT:
So far Croatia (Camp Finida&Camo Val Saline) and Slovenia (Saksida&Camp Špik) were awesome! Austria and Natterer See: We give you another try next time. A lot of positive aspects and we def would give it a go again: Main reason good washing facilities/bathrooms for kids and the free shuttle to Innsbruck

Manage to get hit by a flying pylon from a truck (he didn’t noticed)
a01fa691539fbff5da2aea710f746d1a.jpg
Not like it is really that truck driver's fault. He can't help pylons flying up from the wind.
Still not fun to have this happened.

Not like it is really that truck driver's fault. He can't help pylons flying up from the wind.
Still not fun to have this happened.

Absolutly. I just want to ask them and find a good solution. And in the end: Nothing serious happend to us

So this weekend we went for Munich with my parents.
My wife worked here for the last five years so we are still pretty connected to this wonderful city in Bavaria.

We showed them just a few of our personal highlights:

1. Breakfast or lunch: https://www.schwabinger-osterwaldgarten.de/
Lays right next to the Englischer Garten.
Take the U3/U6 to Münchner Freiheit and walk 5mins.
After the meal walk throught the Englischer Garten back to the Chinese tower (bit touristic beargarden) to the Eisbach wave to watch some surfers.
196510488371d3cba9d9788a344d89d8.jpg

2. Königlicher Hirschgarten (lays in the west of Munich/close to Nymphenburg/Passing). Great restaurant and nice park too.
Superb to sit under the threes and eat a Brathendl or some spare ribs.
Train to „Hirschgarten“, walk 5mins to the beginning of the park.
c310c3ae5e9541a6679b2faff184cbfd.jpg

3. Viktualien Markt (center of Munich):
Great place to find your fresh vegetables, cheese, meat, flowers or gifts.
Always wonderful to stroll around here.

4. Ate some ice cream at Ballabeni in Türkenstrasse. Lovely!

Everything superb to do with kids/buggy. Warching how they grill thw fish at Hirschgarten or the deers was our sons fav.

Travel around in Munich: Group card for 1 day up to 5 adults: €12.90.-