Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front break disks

S

Super Californilistic

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've got a 2008 FWD California with 16" tires. The front disks and all pads are worn out and need changing. I have never ordered and changed such components before but would like to learn to do it. Can anybody recommend front disks and pads to buy?
All tips appreciated.

I did a quick search (whilst bored at home as too hot outside for the dogs). This may help?

I've got a 2008 FWD California with 16" tires. The front disks and all pads are worn out and need changing. I have never ordered and changed such components before but would like to learn to do it. Can anybody recommend front disks and pads to buy?
All tips appreciated.
If you want something better than the standard discs and pads that are cheaper than OE then go for Brembo.
Loads on Ebay.

Eurocarparts often have offers on brake pads and discs. My last brembo pads were almost half price.

Can I just hijack? Similar age van.

At MOT my 2008 SE had worn rear pads but my mechanic John said they would last another year.
I mentioned casually that the van had never had any pads or discs changed in 14 years. John told me I must have had the front ones done. I know I haven’t.

I’ve decided that I will probably have all pads changed at next service/MOT. Would you?

Do I just have a gentle right foot?

I’ve Googled it and used old pads or discs should never be put on other cars. The pads and discs sort of wear into each other. But there seemed to be a fair few knowledgeable people (mechanics) saying that pads and discs can last for years and years sometimes. The garage says they’re ok so maybe I should wait until they need changing?

At MOT my 2008 SE had worn rear pads but my mechanic John said they would last another year.
I mentioned casually that the van had never had any pads or discs changed in 14 years. John told me I must have had the front ones done. I know I haven’t.

I’ve decided that I will probably have all pads changed at next service/MOT. Would you?

I’ve Googled it and used old pads or discs should never be put on other cars. The pads and discs sort of wear into each other. But there seemed to be a fair few knowledgeable people (mechanics) saying that pads and discs can last for years and years sometimes. The garage says they’re ok so maybe I should wait until they need changing?
Had the pads changed all round at 77,000 miles and front disks my choice as there was some minor ridgeing on internal surface.
What milage have you done?

Last edited:

I would say that if they are not worn then there’s no need to change them. Everyone drives differently and lives in different areas of the country. If you drive short distances all the time in hilly built up areas then the chances are your discs and pads will wear out much quicker that if you did a 50 mile run on the motorway. Every time you apply the brakes a minute amount of disc and pad material will wear off. Some people like to replace them anyway when they are that old but it’s really up to you.

If your disks don't have a 'lip' then I would just change pads. As said, different driving styles and usage dictate your wear rate.
I use to change pads a lot on my motorbike, but then I was doing lots of fast riding and track days. Rarely changed disks.

Had the pads changed all round at 77,000 miles and front disks my choice as there was some minor ridgeing on internal surface.
What milage have you done?
Less than 50k and the Cali is entirely used for day trips and holidays with a lot of those 50k clocked on French motorways.
Maybe I’ll leave it.
I also had tyres that had very little wear but had to be replaced as were 8 years old with some cracks. They will need to be replaced again soon with little actual wear. Tyres aren’t brakes though.

Last edited:
Back