Front passenger door double double locked

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
The first press of my key fob unlocks the front driver door.

The second press of my key fob unlocks all doors.

Last Friday I collected my van from the body shop which, following a collision last month, had completed some work in the general area of the front passenger door.

Since then, with the van unlocked with two fob clicks, the front passenger door only opens after two pulls on the door handle. Is this something I can correct myself, or does it need to be returned to the dealer?

Last edited:
Back to the dealer I'm afraid, unless you have one of those ODB adaptors and a laptop or smart phone. This setting for locking doors is accessible in there.
Strange how it's the passenger door that opens first though, maybe the car thinks it's a left hand drive.

That was a brain fade in my original post - now edited and corrected.
In that case.... it's still back to the dealer, or get Carista, the app for phones and a cheap compatible reader off eBay.

The first press of my key fob unlocks the front driver door.

The second press of my key fob unlocks all doors.
That's odd. On my 2017 Beach, one press of "lock" button on the fob locks all doors; one press of the "unlock" button unlocks all doors.

I thought a second press of the lock button deadlocked all of the doors? I assumed that all Calis had two key fob buttons & an unused tailgate button?

Time for me to RTFM.

IMG_3993.jpg

Last edited:
That's odd. On my 2017 Beach, one press of "lock" button on the fob locks all doors; one press of the "unlock" button unlocks all doors.
According to the manual, there are different ways the locking and unlocking can be programmed.

On my van a single locking click locks all doors with a deadlock, a double locking click locks all doors without the deadlock. This can be tested from inside the van: single locking click the doors cannot be opened from inside; double locking click the doors open from inside after two pulls of the handles.

Well, you live & learn ... My T6 is the same as Toms. (EDIT: same for locking)
  • One lock button push = deadlocked. Two lock button pushes = locked (two pulls of doors handle)
  • Tailgate unlock button = single opening of tailgate, locks again when closed (can't hear lock clunk)

Last edited:
Well, you live & learn ... My T6 is the same as Toms.
  • One lock button push = deadlocked. Two lock button pushes = locked (two pulls of doors handle)
  • Tailgate unlock button = single opening of tailgate, locks again when closed (can't hear lock clunk)
When all doors are first unlocked with a double unlock on the fob, do you have to pull the front passenger door handle twice to open, or is this definitely a fault in the reprogramming of my van's locking?

As far as I know the standard VW group method for double presses on the unlock button is one press unlocks the driver's door, second press unlocks all the other doors and boot. This can be programmed out so a single press unlocks all doors. Perhaps changed now on new models.

My T6 is the same as @RoB5urf - one click of unlock button opens everything, just checked & I can see the lock pip jump up on both doors at the same time.

I think that Toms has likely been programmed for the alternate option - though I don't know which config is the default - and @Amarillo must think that it's LHD (hence opening N/S passenger door which would be the drivers door en continent).

Back to the shop! :mad:

Last edited:
I think that Toms has likely been programmed for the alternate option - though I don't know which config is the default - and @Amarillo must think that it's LHD (hence opening N/S passenger door which would be the drivers door en continent).
Just to clarify after my early morning brain fade:- it is the external front passenger door handle that needs two tugs to open the door when the van has been unlocked with two clicks from the fob. The driver's side front door opens normally after one or two fob clicks.

Just to clarify after my early morning brain fade:- it is the external front passenger door handle that needs two tugs to open the door when the van has been unlocked with two clicks from the fob. The driver's side front door opens normally after one or two fob clicks.
Did the body shop have to take the door card off for any reason?

Possibly a mechanical fault with the lock rather than programming.

Did the body shop have to take the door card off for any reason?
I don't know. The damage was to the front nearside wheel arch, a fairly small panel and the front bumper. I don't know what they might have had to do to the door to make the repairs. All I know is that the front passenger door was opening on a single pull of the external handle before it went into the body shop, and it is not opening on a single pull of the door handle after first unlocking it now.

As far as I know the standard VW group method for double presses on the unlock button is one press unlocks the driver's door, second press unlocks all the other doors and boot. This can be programmed out so a single press unlocks all doors. Perhaps changed now on new models.

There us a setting on carista for that but it doesn't work at least on mine.

I don't know. The damage was to the front nearside wheel arch, a fairly small panel and the front bumper. I don't know what they might have had to do to the door to make the repairs. All I know is that the front passenger door was opening on a single pull of the external handle before it went into the body shop, and it is not opening on a single pull of the door handle after first unlocking it now.
I don't know what has happened exactly, but if the Drivers and Sliding door do not require a double pull to open first time then I would be surprised if this behaviour was due to some Global Setting and more likely confined to the Passenger Door only.

You could try this - No promises.

You need to carry out exactly as-is or it wont work anyway...

So - here is the procedure:

Insert the key into the ign switch -

Within 5 secs... turn the Ign switch to ON...and then back to LOCK.

Then turn the ign switch to position ON...

Within 15 secs... manually lock the vehicle using a key - or the drivers door lock button.

Within 30 secs... Press the Key Lock or Un lock button twice ....

Then check that all works ok as it should.

One press unlocks all my doors. 2015 SE.

I assumed that all Calis had two key fob buttons & an unused tailgate button?
My tailgate button opens the tailgate only for a single opening: the tailgate locks as soon as it is reclosed.
Reading through this thread again, this tailgate opening button looks like a feature designed to allow California owners to lock their keys in their boot with four easy-to-learn steps.
1. Click unlock the tailgate with the tailgate open button
2. Put keys on the multiflex to use two hands to take out a heavy item
3. Put down heavy item
4. Close the tailgate

Ha! I'm pretty sure that's the plan ...

On my T5 I did almost exactly that, though with the sliding side door. If you plip it unlocked & then open only the side door then van will lock when you slide it shut again - must remember to check that tomorrow! I think it's intended for delivery drivers in van format not having to relock with hands full.

We were up in the Highlands & had to climb back in through pop-top canvas window. Same ill-fated trip I broke the awning in the wind #goodtimes

Reading through this thread again, this tailgate opening button looks like a feature designed to allow California owners to lock their keys in their boot with four easy-to-learn steps.
1. Click unlock the tailgate with the tailgate open button
2. Put keys on the multiflex to use two hands to take out a heavy item
3. Put down heavy item
4. Close the tailgate

Yeah, been there, done that and have the certificate to prove. Thankfully the wife also carries a key.

..me.

Back