Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

front windows open!

surfer-rich

surfer-rich

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
When I looked out of my bedroom window this morning I was horrified to see the front windows of the Cali fully open. The alarm was still armed but I'd not heard it go off in the night. Fortunately there was only a light sprinkling of rain last night and everything appears ok, just damp interior door side panels.

I definitely didn't have the windows open when I arrived home last night (not with the current temps) so I can only imagine that I must've inadvertently held the unlock button on the key fob (which opens the windows) while carrying stuff into the house.

I know there are members of the forum who have posted this happening to them before but thought it's worth another mention as a word of warning, especially if there's anyone who isn't aware of the open/close window feature of the key fob.

Yes, it has happened to us as well but in our case it was the vehicle auxiliary heater that we had inadvertently turned on.

Yes, it has happened to us as well but in our case it was the vehicle auxiliary heater that we had inadvertently turned on.
Did the same first day I had it when it was in my pocket. Straight off the key ring and safe in the Cali now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our neighbour is always doing it to their Seat, it happens if he leaves the key in his pocket and sits on the sofa to watch TV..

When I looked out of my bedroom window this morning I was horrified to see the front windows of the Cali fully open. The alarm was still armed but I'd not heard it go off in the night. Fortunately there was only a light sprinkling of rain last night and everything appears ok, just damp interior door side panels.

I definitely didn't have the windows open when I arrived home last night (not with the current temps) so I can only imagine that I must've inadvertently held the unlock button on the key fob (which opens the windows) while carrying stuff into the house.

I know there are members of the forum who have posted this happening to them before but thought it's worth another mention as a word of warning, especially if there's anyone who isn't aware of the open/close window feature of the key fob.
Did exactly the same thing myself, had the keys in my pocket and as I walked away from the Cali it must have opened the windows. I'm going to see if I can get this feature disabled next time I take it in for anything, the slight convenience of remote window opening is not worth the downside of leaving them wide open.

Did exactly the same thing myself, had the keys in my pocket and as I walked away from the Cali it must have opened the windows. I'm going to see if I can get this feature disabled next time I take it in for anything, the slight convenience of remote window opening is not worth the downside of leaving them wide open.
How tight are your trousers?

Easily done by anyone with a Carista or similar dongle in your area.
If your dealer will do it for nothing then even easier. 2 min job.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/page-7

Mike

I find this feature very useful in hot weather. Being able to open the windows when your 50 yds away gives the hot air more time to escape.
Each to their own as they say:thumb

Sometimes if I put the keys in my trouser pocket when I arrive home I sometimes later find the doors unlocked. Definitely not a fob that suits jean or trouser pockets.

I drove approx 300 miles in quite heavy rain on route to Cornwall a couple of weeks ago to find the roof partly open (3 or 4 inches) at the rear when parked up at a rest stop. no idea how it happened or for how long it was partly open. I can only guess that it happened by accident when turning the fridge on before setting off or it is a fault which will happen again. No problems since then while camping or travelling back.

The odd thing was the roof was closed at the front, i could be wrong however I thought that even opening the roof a little bit would raise the front or the roof slightly. This post has reminded me to double check how the roof lifts when being opened.

I drove approx 300 miles in quite heavy rain on route to Cornwall a couple of weeks ago to find the roof partly open (3 or 4 inches) at the rear when parked up at a rest stop. no idea how it happened or for how long it was partly open. I can only guess that it happened by accident when turning the fridge on before setting off or it is a fault which will happen again. No problems since then while camping or travelling back.

The odd thing was the roof was closed at the front, i could be wrong however I thought that even opening the roof a little bit would raise the front or the roof slightly. This post has reminded me to double check how the roof lifts when being opened.
Check the mattress had not slipped to the back on top of the small mattress and held the back up whilst closing..

You're lucky the roof wasn't bent. If it was symmetrical at the back then the upstairs mattress had slipped over the small shaped piece at the rear. I solved that problem by getting an All-in-One waterproof mattress cover that both sections fit in.

I am planning to velcro our mattress to the front slats to prevent it sliding back.

Last edited:
Did the same first day I had it when it was in my pocket. Straight off the key ring and safe in the Cali now.

Keep mine in the house otherwise you have to go on into the cold to turn it on. Unless one has a fancy drive ;)

I am planning to velcro our mattress to the front slats to prevent it sliding back.

Isn't there already velcro on? Mine came wit velcro?

It has a small strap with velcro but it is on the end not underneath so I assume this is for the safety net?
The one on the end is for the former flexilamp. But mine has also a strip underneath, connected to the wooden springs.

Sometimes if I put the keys in my trouser pocket when I arrive home I sometimes later find the doors unlocked. Definitely not a fob that suits jean or trouser pockets.

I'm not alone then.
I'm not sure my van is ever locked.
:headbang

Having had this happen on previous T5s you've just reminded me to go out and disable the remote opening of the windows on our new T6. They are a pain, squash the key fob and the van unlocks and winds down the windows, auto re-lock locks the doors after 30 seconds but the windows stay open!

Coding of this and auto re-lock is a VCDS (or similar) function.

Rod

Agree Loz, I saw this solution in a UK conversion I rented earlier this year - works well. Also stops the mattress moving during the night if you are a wriggler!! :thumb

This is odd as if the unlock button is pressed, and no doors are opened, they relock quite soon. Perhaps check by testing door handle that doors are actually locked before walking away. It's saved me a couple times.

Back