Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel additives

No additives here I just use shell or bp and not supermarket fuels :thumb

Calikev said:
No additives here I just use shell or bp and not supermarket fuels :thumb
Same here , and when it's available I use the top grade diesel .

Any old diesel for us - what ever we are passing when it needs diesel - branded, supermarket - never use additives.

Remember there are three types of diesel here:

Bog Standard - Super Market
Bog Standard - Branded (Shell, BP etc)
Posh Branded - VPower, Ultimate etc.

I believe the posh ones are better but any improvements in MPG are offset by the increased cost of these products - so you are simply buying these on the hope the bigger bang will also be good for your engine, or if you want every single Horse Power...

I personally don't think there is much difference between Bog standard supermarket and bog standard Branded.

T

We also use any garage that we are passing but on every 10th fill up I will use one of the premium fuels.

I use SHELL sometimes BP or ESSO, I do not use suppermarket fuel.

I've been talking over the weekend to mate who works in the fuel supply trade.
Like most people I have always assumed that supermarket fuel is not as good for economy and engine protection than premium brands.
However, it seems that at the moment (as the fuel companies are constantly changing the mixture of the fuels to use cheaper constituents) Sainsburys is the best around. As it's also the cheapest near us I shall be using this for the foreseeable future.

I feed Albert on Sainsbury's.

I just wish Waitrose would sell diesel, so more upmarket :crazy

WelshGas said:
Anyone use a proprietary fuel additive or 2 stroke oil on a regular basis and do you notice any benefit. Many posts about this on the VWT5 forum.
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.p ... ght=stroke

Yes, I picked up on that thread some months ago and started to add a small amount of 2 Stroke oil to every fill up. Initially I thought it made a difference, but having just come back from a month in Europe and not taken the oil (no space left), I can't say I have noticed any difference without it. Won't bother in future.

Alan

Bringing my level of sad to a whole new level, I have just cross referenced my last 51 fill ups with the fuel I have used. I then worked out the MPG I got from that point to the next fill up. This was done on my car rather than the Cali (as I use the car more regularly than the cali and on similar journeys - it is a BMW 520d). Since I normally run the tank quite low and then fill up it give a pretty good indication of differences in fuel.

Brand MPG # Fill Ups

BP 45.28049912 2
Asda 45.2936582 3
Shell 46.05143438 2
Esso 46.69438171 11
Tesco 47.42705591 9
Morrisons 47.78980661 18
Sainsbury 47.94549914 6

Think it shows that supermarket fuel is not worse for MPG than branded. As you can see I most regularly use Esso, Morrisons and Tesco and in the contest the supermarkets win.

I can do the same for the cali, but since that is either used for local runs and long runs and not much in between I think it would be pretty random...

Make of that what you will, but I wont be worrying about which fuel I use too much.

I am off to buy a new anorak!

T

Sorry the table formats terribly - but I think you can see what I am getting at....

I think the Morrisons one is the one to be careful of as they use more FAME than most of the others.

Deffo don't use the morrisons B30 biodiesel (that is 30% biodiesel and is not recommended by VW in any engines) - it has an orange pump handle

However I think all bog standard diesel now is marketed as up to 7% biodiesel.

The government has mandated that all diesel contains biodiesel - I think the law has been slowly drifting up.

I think Morrisions may have been one of the first to advertise 7%, but I guess all use it now.

Most manufacturers including VW have accepted the 7% is OK.

T

teeboy said:
Sorry the table formats terribly - but I think you can see what I am getting at....

What size and colour of anorak?? :?

XL please - it must be all the pork pies I pick up at Morrisons!

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk

Back