Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gaffer tape

V

vern111

Hi, does anyone know why I would have four bits of gaffer tape in the roof of my new T6 beach? Was going to remove them but they sort of look like they should be there..... thanks

6B094955-A659-4D07-A6C7-18C92E3CED5F.jpeg

There should not be tape there , maybe they applied this during manufacturing and not been removed .
Guess there no tape on the other side ?

EDIT :see #7

Last edited:
We noticed the same on ours when we fitted the isotop. Think the tape was just to cover a sharp edge where the two bits of metal trim meet (we removed and stuck the isotop Velcro over the top)

I only recently noticed we had this tape on our T6 Ocean but don’t recall seeing it on our T5.1 SE. It’s put on in the factory as we ordered our T6 new. I’m pretty sure removal of the tape will expose a sharp edge so I plan on leaving it in place even if it does resemble a sticking plaster.

Last edited:
Looks like a classic "sticking plaster" vw fix from the "that'll do" school of design.
A bit like the piece of air hose to stop rattle on the roof scissor mechanism, the sticky tape to stop the roof corrosion, the useless trim panel / bottle holder from some other vehicle, the rear suspension from a something that doesn't permanently carry 50% of its payload, etc, etc.
And yet still the best camper on the market with nothing else coming close!
I have some bits of tape like that in my SE but have never been sure if they were factory fit or post production rattle reduction.

Thanks for the responses, looks awful but I think I’ll keep them in place until VW take a look when it’s next in...

Need to come back on my post above:

@Vern , just had my roof up (2012 SE) and in front (where i think your picture is taken there is no tape
IMG_2860.JPG
In the rear but barely visible there is some tape but applied very neat , not as messy as in your picture
IMG_2857.JPG

Now i must say i had my roof done (corrosion under warrenty) by a very well VW dealer in Holland ;) And this involved a new canvas , they probaly did the new tape also.

Yes, I believe the tape in standard from factory on both front and back. Our vans has it on both front and back.

I believe the purpose is (1) to cover the sharp edge and (2) to cover the gap between the trim pieces as seen in @hotel california photo above.

I have it on my 2006 so that’s 14 years of botching!

We've not got a Cali at the moment, waiting delivery, (COVID 19,VW, VED, DVLA delays), so l can't check ours. Are we seriously suggesting that bits of gaffer tape stuck on new vehicles for whatever reason are acceptable? I think not!
We had a new BL Metro, and even that wasn't held together with gaffer tape. Yes l know the floor let water in, so the sound deadening got soaked, resulting in the floor rotting, but no gaffer tape!

Just noticed these too I was about to start a thread and this previous thread came up. Has anyone found out if we need these? Almost looks like something used whilst various parts bond together? Really ugly.