Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Garage have recommended getting rid.

Hi I see you have a 2007 cali I’m assuming with either a BNZ or BPC engine code 130ps or 174ps. These engines are Bullet proof there are a few ancillaries that fail the egr cooler cracks and leaks exhaust gas and the water pumps were prone to failure which would give you coolant in the oil as the coolant pump is inside the engine and can give the same effect as a head gasket. The early engines suffered from camshaft failure but the part was modified and if the cam shaft had failed you would know about it as the engine would have a very very loud knock. The other issue was with oil coolers failing causing engine oil to get into the coolant this left a black ring around the expansion bottle at first then the coolant turned to an oil coolant mix. I know all that sounds bad but it was all modified and only a few of the later engines had issues. I know of vehicles with these engines well over 800000 miles and still going strong. I suggest your garage is ripping you off I’ve never heard of any vehicle of that age costing that much to run especially if it’s been looked after. As for the exhaust yes they rust yes the outer skin comes away but it’s all cosmetic and does not effect the general operation of the system. Get your vehicle checked over properly by another garage. That engine and vehicle combo will last a life time if looked after.

We have a 2007 California with full service history and everytime we have taken it to the local VW garage major work has been required (although nothing has been obviously wrong). We have rarely left with a bill less than 4k. Having had it for 4 years and bought it for 27k it is becoming very costly. We have just dropped it in for an MOT, again no known problems apart from new tyres needed and a service only 2 months ago with all problems reported at the time fixed. The garage have now quoted us for a new exhaust and engine which is apparently essential as it is not running properly. They have quoted us 12k which is just not feasible so have recommended selling it via we buy and car. I have no mechanical knowledge but I'm finding it hard justifying parting with my beloved van for just 10k or spending another 12k on it to get it fixed when as far as I can see it starts fine and has now warning lights on. We use it all the time and I am meant to be living out of it for the next month and then going abroad in it for a few weeks. Does anyone have any advice? I want a second opinion as I'm starting to doubt this Garage's advice however I also want it to retain a full VW service history.

Would suggest you take it down to @VW Guru at the Breeze in Poole. Yes a bit of a trip but you could combine it with a camping break and you would get a knowledgeable unbiased view of the conditions of your van. The amount you have spent is outrageous!

We have a 2007 California with full service history and everytime we have taken it to the local VW garage major work has been required (although nothing has been obviously wrong). We have rarely left with a bill less than 4k. Having had it for 4 years and bought it for 27k it is becoming very costly. We have just dropped it in for an MOT, again no known problems apart from new tyres needed and a service only 2 months ago with all problems reported at the time fixed. The garage have now quoted us for a new exhaust and engine which is apparently essential as it is not running properly. They have quoted us 12k which is just not feasible so have recommended selling it via we buy and car. I have no mechanical knowledge but I'm finding it hard justifying parting with my beloved van for just 10k or spending another 12k on it to get it fixed when as far as I can see it starts fine and has now warning lights on. We use it all the time and I am meant to be living out of it for the next month and then going abroad in it for a few weeks. Does anyone have any advice? I want a second opinion as I'm starting to doubt this Garage's advice however I also want it to retain a full VW service history.
Mines a 2008, had it from new, still running as sweet as a nut, never uses any oil between services and has now done 140k miles
Obviously you’ll always have maintenance to do even on a car
New exhaust probably soon, but engine? - that’s a big problem!

I’ve got a 2008 with 130k. It’s a 2.5lt and should be good for another 100k and the rest.

Would look for a second opinion.

Nina, I would drop your garage like a hot brick and find another dealer. If they say the same thing then you may have trouble but I suspect that they won't.
Wishing you the best of luck,I am sorry to hear of there trouble you'v got.

Sounds like you’re dropping that garage which would seem like a good thing. I have to say, I find the costs you mentioned quite staggering.

Perhaps ask the garage for a full and detailed written report supporting their reasons for engine replacement, ‘just for your own clarification so you can think about it’.

You’ll either get one and find out elsewhere that it’s correct / incorrect OR there will be some reason you won’t get one at all. All of the aforementioned will be quite telling and at least give you some closure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I’d be asking them to put in writing a summary of exactly what they’ve found wrong with the vehicle, what their proposed remedy is and an estimate of cost.

Options then are to take it an independent with a track record of dealing with VW vans or even an AA examiner.

As others have said repeated high bills and 12k for a new engine would set alarm bells ringing.

Have you tried contacting VW commercial customer service. They might be able to give you some advice.

The OP hasn't visited the forum since the date of their question :(

THE COSTS YOU DESCRIBE ARE SOMETHING! Get to another garage, We have a 2002 T4 which is still on its second exhaust, only now done 260K and doesn't use oil. I tend to use it for long trips and living in the country it always does a run on open roads before getting to town/ driving in traffic.
Take on board what the VW Guru has said. Ditch the vw commercial garage you have taken it to for the MOT.
Best of luck!

Is there a competition on - on "oldest thread resurrection" - that I am unaware of? What's the prize? ;)
There could also be a bonus prize, if after resurrecting a thread, the OP responds!

The OP never saw our answers from September 19 so I doubt they'll be back now.....

I sometimes wonder how genuine some of these questions are?
Non paid up member, few if any previous posts. Posts a question, with minimal background information, asking for advice. 3 pages of comments and helpful advice AND silence.

Back