Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Bottle Cover

D

DOUG MILNE

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Excuse me but I am a 72 year young non computor language savvy. I am just trying to see if a member could post a photo of the plastic gas bottle cover, from a California Ocean.

The one I received with my new Cali was a Mickey Mouse Home Made thing that does not look original. Dealer is saying that it is the real thing.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thanks Doug,

This is what it should look like

A142845F-DFAC-4BE8-AF9C-9688EA974C23.jpeg

Excuse me but I am a 72 year young non computor language savvy. I am just trying to see if a member could post a photo of the plastic gas bottle cover, from a California Ocean.

The one I received with my new Cali was a Mickey Mouse Home Made thing that does not look original. Dealer is saying that it is the real thing.

Thanks Doug,
Hi Doug, I would willingly post you a photo as you request but my Cali came with no plastic bottle cover. It seems you are in luxury! ;)
Coincidentally I am going away this weekend and have just been putting some foam packing around the gas bottle to stop the darn thing rattling every time I drive over anything more than just a white line;);).
Good result - all is quiet:happy:happy

A9834060-7F7B-4509-9362-0C1F33F4D9D2.jpeg Another interpretation from Kev. I had assumed you meant the bottle its self. Anyway here is a photo of my gas bottle - no cover other than the black screw top that you can see in Kev’s photo.

Do you mean this kind of cover? As far as I know you don't get one. Nice if you did :thumb.
campingaz%20907%20gas%20bottlle%20cover.jpg

Do you mean this kind of cover? As far as I know you don't get one. Nice if you did :thumb.
campingaz%20907%20gas%20bottlle%20cover.jpg
Cannot see the photo in your post but can see it when I clicked on reply. Strange.

Took a screenshot on my iPad

60A4AF5F-00FA-46E9-9BFA-D84F42C10DC3.jpeg

Thanks Doug,

If you look at Kev's photo the black screw-on cover is what should be with the van. As well as protecting the bottle and attachments it is also a gas-safe cover the helps any leaking butane, which is heavier than air, escape through the vents at the base of the gas bottle holder and not dissipate into the living area.

Cannot see the photo in your post but can see it when I clicked on reply. Strange.

Took a screenshot on my iPad

View attachment 27961
I have been trying to get one of these covers but no one seems to stock them anymore, if any one on here knows of where they can be purchased or you have one you do not want please pm me. thank you

Van should come with black plastic screw cover.

What about the battery cover (engine) that is no longer supplied, but we have them, correct?
Yes got one with my van . Vw cut backs terrible probably and extra now.

So you haven't a black screw on lid as in @Calikev photo?
What about the door wedge shaped thingy to stop the gas bottle rattling around?
Sorry for any misunderstanding - Yes I do have Black threaded lid as per Kev's post photo. The wedge shaped door stop is OK but insufficient to stop cylinder moving around and making a noise!

Edit: Covers - We are talking about two different covers. 1) The black screw cap and 2) A bottle jacket.

Last edited:
Does anyone actually knows what this post is about....?

Good question.
It's either, I think, about the black screw lid on top of the gas bottle or a fabric sack that goes over the bottle itself. I am waiting to see which way it will go.......

This is what it should look like

View attachment 27957
Yes thank you very much. I said plastic cover but I actually meant the threaded BAKELITE cover that screws over the gas bottle. I have had a previous Cali Ocean & it had this proper cover, My new Cali has come with what looks like a Home made back yard cover of wood & Bakelite material. Also when I received my Cali from the dealer the Awning, Spare Tyre, & rubber V gas bottle mount was also missing. Probably stolen off the wharf during shipping. We shipped an Autosleeper from Britain to Canada in 1999 & also had stereo & cd stacker along with other goods stolen from the wharf. Roll on roll off. After that we shipped in a container with no problems.

Yes thank you very much. I said plastic cover but I actually meant the threaded BAKELITE cover that screws over the gas bottle. I have had a previous Cali Ocean & it had this proper cover, My new Cali has come with what looks like a Home made back yard cover of wood & Bakelite material. Also when I received my Cali from the dealer the Awning, Spare Tyre, & rubber V gas bottle mount was also missing. Probably stolen off the wharf during shipping. We shipped an Autosleeper from Britain to Canada in 1999 & also had stereo & cd stacker along with other goods stolen from the wharf. Roll on roll off. After that we shipped in a container with no problems.
That makes sense. Not the fault of VW but some (NZ authority) person during the delivery process. Seems strange how countries have their own quirks regarding what is or is not allowed.

Last edited:
Oops! My mistake - somehow I didn't read plastic :embarrased

Doug, the reason us Kiwis get stuck with the crude home made screw cover for the gas bottle compartment is because the Campingaz 907 cylinder is not permitted in NZ (it's a long story). Consequently we get a NZ gas bottle fitted which is taller than the 907 and hence requires a modification to the screw cover. We also don't get the rubber wedge designed to stop the gas bottle rattling around.

Back