Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Bottle

As always , a qiuck search on the round gas sticker gives answers

If you are involved in an accident there is a chance the pipe from the bottle to the cooker could be severed , this would mean if the bottle is left on then uncontrolled gas could be streaming into the Cali, and there is a risk a spark could ignite it resulting in a fire or even an explosion .

i believe that when driving. It’s best to have the gas turned off at the bottle and under the cooker
better to be safe than sorry!

hope this helps

If you are involved in an accident there is a chance the pipe from the bottle to the cooker could be severed , this would mean if the bottle is left on then uncontrolled gas could be streaming into the Cali, and there is a risk a spark could ignite it resulting in a fire or even an explosion .

i believe that when driving. It’s best to have the gas turned off at the bottle and under the cooker

hope this helps
Not quit. The Gas Locker is sealed with regards to the interior of the vehicle. The only exit, providing the Gas Locker lid is on properly is through the drop out at the bottom of the locker. The whole point of the flexible gas line from regulator to the gas inlet is to absorb any movement of the gas bottle within the Locker and enable the cylinder to be removed.

Not quit. The Gas Locker is sealed with regards to the interior of the vehicle. The only exit, providing the Gas Locker lid is on properly is through the drop out at the bottom of the locker. The whole point of the flexible gas line from regulator to the gas inlet is to absorb any movement of the gas bottle within the Locker and enable the cylinder to be removed.

I think what Hyvast means is that the gas pipe could be punctured/severed somewhere between the gas locker and the hob shut off valve. (In practice that still seems a very low likelihood to me. About the same likelihood as a petrol pipe being severed in a car accident, yes it can happen but isn't something you worry about that much.)

Out of interest, WG, do you shut off the bottle valve while travelling?

Never turn ours off except when going under the Channel.
Should ALWAYS turn off at the bottle when driving. If the pipe to cooker, or whatever, is fractured in an accident you will have a highly flammable gas, possibly gushing out of the full bottle, covering the vehicle. One spark - BOOM! Travelling with the gas on is dangerous to yourself and all other road users.

I think what Hyvast means is that the gas pipe could be punctured/severed somewhere between the gas locker and the hob shut off valve. (In practice that still seems a very low likelihood to me. About the same likelihood as a petrol pipe being severed in a car accident, yes it can happen but isn't something you worry about that much.)

Out of interest, WG, do you shut off the bottle valve while travelling?
No, except on the Ferry or Shuttle. The gas bottle, regulator and rubber pipe probably better protected than I am , especially as it’s in the water tank. Also a collision bad enough to damage pipe work won’t do much for the integrity of the bottle.

No, except on the Ferry or Shuttle. The gas bottle, regulator and rubber pipe probably better protected than I am , especially as it’s in the water tank. Also a collision bad enough to damage pipe work won’t do much for the integrity of the bottle.

Thanks. Good to know, as a gas expert you confirm my layman's view! :thumb

If you got T boned with a 45tonne fuel tanker and the
gendarme threw his gauloise on the deck, you may have
a problem.

Sorry, the pipe could be cut anywhere along its length, thus my point is that it could be hazardous if the bottle end is left open, and your cali gets Tboned closer to the cooker end Then gas may get into the cali and the rest we know

cheers

There is a very reasonable likelihood that your insurance would be invalidated if one drove with the gas on as was involved in an accident that included a fire. I checked with my insurance and was told that this would be the case. Check with your insurance.

There is a very reasonable likelihood that your insurance would be invalidated if one drove with the gas on as was involved in an accident that included a fire. I checked with my insurance and was told that this would be the case. Check with your insurance.
Very good point! And how long does it take to switch it on or off to be safe

I did. Just recommended an external LPG sticker, as you no doubt have.:thumb

Sorry, the pipe could be cut anywhere along its length, thus my point is that it could be hazardous if the bottle end is left open, and your cali gets Tboned closer to the cooker end Then gas may get into the cali and the rest we know

cheers
I have carried out my own risk assessment based on 40 yrs experience of gas systems. I'm happy.

I’m not sure but the valve supplied on the Cali (the one with a yellow button) is there not a build in safety that in a major impact it shuts itself out , pressing the yellow button to release it back open.
I could be very wrong doh.

hope this helps
Yep, that’s what we’ll be doing... thank you

I’m not sure but the valve supplied on the Cali (the one with a yellow button) is there not a build in safety that in a major impact it shuts itself out , pressing the yellow button to release it back open.
I could be very wrong doh.
It’s a blow off valve if the regulator fails to protect the appliances.

Very good point! And how long does it take to switch it on or off to be safe
About 5 minutes by the time I’ve emptied the rear cupboard enough to lift the bottom shelf to get access & then squeezed everything back in.
Having said that ours is normally left off, unless we are away camping in which case it will be turned on at arrival at the first site and turned off just before we leave at the end of the trip. We do however still turnoff the tap under the hob when not being used.
It’s such a short run of pipe that could get damaged that the risk is tiny.